The general pop/rock - music thread Page 235

Quote: Chappers @ 4th March 2023, 12:48 PM

Not particulatrly.

I think Mike And The Mechanics had some decent songs, but I guess they were full on mainstream pop, whereas with Genesis you'd have a record like Turn It On Again and then Invisble Touch a bit more variety really.

When presented with a piece of unlistenable dreck like John and Yoko's Wedding Album, a critic has two choices. Either go after the culprits with guns blazing, or bend over backwards to find something to be positive about.
Richard Williams, who had been assigned by the British music weekly Melody Maker to review Wedding Album, chose the latter course. In the issue published today, he praised two particular pieces, which he took to be minimalist drones:
Constant listening reveals a curious point: the pitch of the tones alters frequency, but only by microtones or, at most, a semitone. This oscillation produces an almost subliminal, uneven "beat" which maintains interest. On a more basic level, you could have a ball by improvising your very own raga, plainsong, or even Gaelic mouth music against the drone.
The only problem was that the "pieces" he was reviewing were not anything John and Yoko had made. Williams had received a test pressing consisting of two LPs, each of which contained one side of the album backed with a side of test tones (which did not, in fact, vary at all). It was these test tones that Williams took a shine to, preferring them to the actual content.

😆

More jazz than pop or rock, but if you love world-class guitarists, Julian Lage is playing a few shows in the UK next month. http://www.julianlage.com/tour

Julian played with Santana at the age of 9. Lage was a child prodigy, and he was the subject of a short documentary called Jules at 8.

Taylor Swift says she's the new Sylvia Plath. Great love, get the oven ready.

Does anyone on here like rock band The Sweet from the seventies they're hits included "Fox On The Run", "Ballroom Blitz", "Teenage Rampage", "Wig Wam Bam" and many many others

Quote: JJlovescomedy @ 17th March 2023, 9:27 PM

Does anyone on here like rock band The Sweet from the seventies they're hits included "Fox On The Run", "Ballroom Blitz", "Teenage Rampage", "Wig Wam Bam" and many many others

How about Little Willy?

Quote: Chappers @ 17th March 2023, 11:05 PM

How about Little Willy?

OK, but you show me yours first 😍

As well as Alexander Graham Bell and Co Co 😃

Quote: JJlovescomedy @ 18th March 2023, 10:31 AM

As well as Alexander Graham Bell and Co Co 😃

...and Lollipop Man from 1969. Very different from their later stuff:

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 18th March 2023, 10:55 AM

...and Lollipop Man from 1969. Very different from their later stuff:

Thank you for the link, it sounds like a cross between Herman's Hermit's and The Beatles.

Quote: JJlovescomedy @ 18th March 2023, 8:39 PM

Thank you for the link, it sounds like a cross between Herman's Hermit's and The Beatles.

We don't call them lollipop men here, but they sound kind of American to my ears, although I can also hear a little Sweet in there.

There was a documentary on this band and the demise of the lead singer some years ago I remember watching, and what a sad and tragic figure he was, and it was weird seeing this little shrivelled old man with a long blonde wig on,(?) who wouldn't accept that it was all over.

TODAY'S INTERESTING FACT ABOUT THE SPICE GIRLS
The 5 Spice (which has 5 letters) Girls (which had 5 letters) made a 55-second clip 'Power Of 5' for Channel 5, and at 5.05 on 05.05.05, I had 5 wanks to it.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 19th March 2023, 8:27 AM

TODAY'S INTERESTING FACT ABOUT THE SPICE GIRLS
The 5 Spice (which has 5 letters) Girls (which had 5 letters) made a 55-second clip 'Power Of 5' for Channel 5, and at 5.05 on 05.05.05, I had 5 wanks to it.

Also you posted that same fact about 5 days ago

New material dude!!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th March 2023, 11:37 PM

There was a documentary on this band and the demise of the lead singer some years ago I remember watching, and what a sad and tragic figure he was, and it was weird seeing this little shrivelled old man with a long blonde wig on,(?) who wouldn't accept that it was all over.

Brian Connolly. He was Taggart's half-brother.