The general pop/rock - music thread Page 242

Love the song, but there's something seriously off about the vid. I dunno, just kinda distasteful and I'm not a big fan of all this 'Hey, ain't technology awesome, dude?' bollocks. Probably won't watch it again.

Agreed.
A bit creepy.

F**k, someone agrees with me. Better lower my standards.
It's a bit like that Joy Division 'Atmosphere 1988' vid.
What did John Lennon say to Ian Curtis? I know you're depressed, but nothing to get hung about.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th November 2023, 9:01 AM

Yes, I know.

Lost for words, and your emoji is just how I felt when I read your ignorant, naΓ―ve posts

Woaaaw whoa

Someone did get out of bed the wrong side today??

πŸ˜³πŸ˜™

Quote: lofthouse @ 4th November 2023, 10:39 AM

Woaaaw whoa

Someone did get out of bed the wrong side today??

πŸ˜³πŸ˜™

OK, OK 😁 15 Love, new balls please......................Till the next time Lofty, whatever that may be. πŸ˜„

According to Steve Wright on Pick of the Pops "Rent" by the Pet Shop Boys was written about a woman in America. Seriously?

FOR SALE
EXTREMELY rare copy of Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures, unsigned by Peter Hook! Yes, we can garantee that Hooky hasn't autographed, touched or gone anywhere near this album. Be the envy of Joy Division fans the world over with the only remaining Unknown Pleasures without Peter Hook's horrible scrawling all over it. But hurry: any minute now Hooky may track us down, smile ingratiatingly and scribble his disgusting signature across the cover. Collector's item while stock lasts.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 7th November 2023, 12:35 PM

FOR SALE
EXTREMELY rare copy of Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures, unsigned by Peter Hook! Yes, we can garantee that Hooky hasn't autographed, touched or gone anywhere near this album. Be the envy of Joy Division fans the world over with the only remaining Unknown Pleasures without Peter Hook's horrible scrawling all over it. But hurry: any minute now Hooky may track us down, smile ingratiatingly and scribble his disgusting signature across the cover. Collector's item while stock lasts.

🀣

Just come home after seeing Suzi Quatro at the London Palladium. She was amazing and did one of the best Bass Guitar solos I've seen. Also guest appearances from Glen Matlock and Boy George.

Following on from my previous post (and an earlier one) I see that "they" are touring Lust for Life again next year.

I saw the tour last spring featuring Glen Matlock, Clem Burke, Katie Puckrik and Kevin Armstrong. A brilliant night.

https://www.lustforlifetour.com/

Did not know this...

Are you familiar with the song "Blackbird" by The Beatles? Most of us are, but few know the REAL meaning behind it... Paul McCartney was visiting America. He was sitting, resting, when he heard a woman screaming. He looked up to see a Black woman being surrounded by the police. The police had her handcuffed, and were beating her. He thought the woman had committed a terrible crime, only to find out that "the crime" she committed was to sit in a section reserved for whites. Paul was shocked. There was no segregation in England. But, here in America, the land of freedom, this is how Blacks were being treated. McCartney and the Beatles went back home to England, but he would remember what he saw, how he felt, the unfairness of it all

Quote: lofthouse @ 1st December 2023, 10:21 AM

Did not know this...

Because it's not true.

Quote: DaButt @ 1st December 2023, 2:29 PM

Because it's not true.

"McCartney would tell the audience he was inspired by the courage of these women: "Way back in the Sixties, there was a lot of trouble going on over civil rights, particularly in Little Rock. We would notice this on the news back in England, so it's a really important place for us, because to me, this is where civil rights started.

We would see what was going on and sympathize with the people going through those troubles, and it made me want to write a song that, if it ever got back to the people going through those troubles, it might just help them a little bit, and that's this next one."

He explained that when he started writing the song, he had in mind a Black woman, but in England, "girls" were referred to as "birds." And, so the song started: "Blackbird singing in the dead of night Take these broken wings and learn to fly All your life You were only waiting for this moment to arise." McCartney added that he and the Beatles cared passionately about the Civil Rights movement, "so this was really a song from me to a Black woman, experiencing these problems in the States: 'Let me encourage you to keep trying, to keep your faith, there is hope.'

What about your original post? The one about McCartney personally witnessing a handcuffed Black woman being beaten for sitting in a "Whites Only" area? The one that never happened, but has been copied and pasted for quite some time now? The one that used to include "it has been said" before recounting the story about Paul witnessing the beating? The one that makes about as much sense as Putin's claim that he wants peace, and that Russia didn't start the war in Ukraine?

I have no doubt that McCartney and the Beatles were strong supporters of the civil rights movement, but if you're going to post an imaginary story about the origins of the song, and then follow it up with Paul's decades-later recollections about the origins of the song, why not also include the other recollections which state that the song was simply about a blackbird singing? Unless you're just trying to stink up the pop/rock thread with onesided political jabs that are best suited for the "I Read the News Today" thread...

Check this out at about 4:20.................