Grandma's House - Series 2 Page 6

And many products sell better on DVD

Shawshank was a commercial flop till it went out on DVD

And when the BBC, the main player in TV sitcom does keep commissioning such untypically British sitcoms then guess what, it sends a message out to aspiring writers that this is what they should be writing, and and they get flooded with even worse copies of Sienfeld and CYE and GG and all the rest of them. And we all get further and further away from world beating British classic sitcoms like Porridge and OFAH etc.

Most of the noughties were taken up with sitcoms trying to be like The Office, God help us if the teenies are entirely taken up by cheap copies of Curb Your Enthusiasm!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 4 2012, 11:59 AM BST

But there is no way any commissioner would sign up such a sitcom from an unkown via Writers Room. SA's image rights or TV brand or call it what you will, has landed him this mild rehash of US jewcoms

So what? Having successful names attached to a project will always help its commissioning chances - see: The Royal Bodyguard - but the commissioners still make the decisions, not the writers or performers. I happen to know, in fact, of more than just a handful of projects with big-name writers and performers attached, that have NOT been commissioned. I urge you to stop with your wild theories because they look even more mental to those of us even remotely 'in the know' than they do to everyone else.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 4 2012, 12:12 PM BST

Most of the noughties were taken up with sitcoms trying to be like The Office, God help us if the teenies are entirely taken up by cheap copies of Curb Your Enthusiasm!

Only this isn't a lot like Curb really; apart from the fact Amstell is playing a version of himself.

Grandma's House is full of great, very British, working class characters.

...that no one much wants to watch.

How is Grandma's House untypically British?
It's so English it almost hurts. Bunch of slightly eccentric people sitting around a dull living room doing mundane things.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 4 2012, 12:19 PM BST

That much you do have accurate.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 4 2012, 12:12 PM BST

And when the BBC, the main player in TV sitcom does keep commissioning such untypically British sitcoms then guess what, it sends a message out to aspiring writers that this is what they should be writing, and and they get flooded with even worse copies of Sienfeld and CYE and GG and all the rest of them. And we all get further and further away from world beating British classic sitcoms like Porridge and OFAH etc.

Hang on a mo.

Curb; wealthy LA media types some of whom are Jewish,
Grandmas; working class Jewish London family

Next the comedy and structuring is hugely diferent.

So are you saying Jews are untypically English? Really if you're pretending to be an antisemite for comedy value good for you but it ain't funny.

If you're doing it because you are a genuine antisemite I pity you.

Besides, Jewish centred comedies in the UK:

BBC Two - Grandma's House, Channel 4 - Friday Night Dinner.

Scarcely an invasion.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 4 2012, 12:19 PM BST

It hasn't caught a big audience, so what? Many great shows don't, this means nothing.

I'm having more of a dig at their death grip on US TV, Sooty, rather than republish Mein Campf on the BCG.

I always thought there were a lot of 'jewish' type humour progs' on TV.
I know a lot of comedy writers are Jewish, and VERY good; Marks @ Gran etc.

You're sort of getting my point, more than the others are Dellas.

Fine if they are all genuinely great, but if they are just made so they can keep up with the Americans then I think it's worth stating your mind. For me, great sitcoms will should find their own way to market, TV, but I worry that if they come into BH or C4 and they don't follow the model they are showing, then they won't get a look in.

I'm afraid I don't see enough evidence of new and entirely original or unique sitcoms written by yet unknown WRITERS getting made. :( Sad, and it's Friday.

What Jewish type humour progs?

Come on which one? Rev, Life's Too Short, The IT Crowd, Not Going Out?

Because there aren't.

You're either ignorant, prejudiced or a time waster.

:) Sootyj I really would like to know what TV you like? is it 'Jewish'?

People I really like are and many others,David Baddiel Sasha Baron Cohen, Jeremy Paxman, for example.

OH there is a local comedian called Abe Finklstein I adore, well I also went to see Bernard Manning, er, cough. :$