British comedy is no longer funny Page 14

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 25 2012, 11:40 AM GMT

I think it's time we all came to admit, that British television comedy isn't funny anymore.

What if we don't admit it? What if we argue that it is purely a matter of opinion whether standards have slipped so far that nothing, anywhere, anytime, is funny in British television comedy anymore ? :O

As a viewing audience we have been force fed and completely subdued by dull, saccarhin, unchallenging, uncontroversial but most of all, unfunny sitcoms, stand up performers and panel shows.

As a viewing audience we are free to switch over to something we like while continuing to bitch about telly being dominated by stuff that we don't like. We like to call the stuff we are not into "shit" but only because it makes us feel big and clever about our personal taste being superior to anyone else's. In the comedy world one man's shit is invariably another's comedic orgasm.

Nothing is cutting edge or outrageous or subversive anymore.
Bizarrely, it's American comedy shows such as South Park, Family Guy and Curb Your Enthusiasm that are really pushing the boundries. They regularly make jokes about sex, incest, child abuse, murder, kidnapping, politics, race, etc., but most of all, they are subversive of both modern culture and the television genre itself.

All of the above were recently covered by Mongrels which was a 100% Brit production last time I checked. And they have also thrown in disability, terrorism, rape, anti-Semitism, scatology, and a lot of other "subversive" topics too.

This used to be a British preserve and now we've lost out to the Yanks. And yes, you can cite the odd programme, like Peep Show, but it is so buried under a mass of bland, corporate, on message, offend no one, family audience, prozac inspired, lifeless crap, that you can barely see it.

Subversive comedy is still around Brit TV same as it always has been. Perhaps it's not noticed as much as the shock value seems to have been diluted in these more liberal times. But it's certainly at least on par with whatever the Americans can offer.

I'm hoping things will change soon, but as the audience becomes less and less demanding and the programme makers more and more afraid, I'm not sure if it ever will.

Change to what? To whatever YOU like? If I were God Of Comedy (and I should be!) I would chuck Andy Parsons, Russell Howard, Dawn French, Michael McIntyre plus a few others into the eternal flames of Comedy Hell. However as a mere mortal I just have to put up with the fact that not everyone has the same taste in comedy.

But as Brits I think we could all maybe take a step back and look at the bigger picture and perhaps we might then feel a wee bit proud of the wide and rich variety of our own comedy culture before claiming the Americans (or anyone else for that matter) can do it better?

Quote: Allan OB @ February 2 2012, 3:34 PM GMT

What if we don't admit it? What if we argue that it is purely a matter of opinion whether standards have slipped so far that nothing, anywhere, anytime, is funny in British television comedy anymore ? :O

If you genuinely put your hand on your heart and proudly proclaim that 2011 was a great year for comedy then you don't have to admit it. You may however have to admit yourself to a state funded secure facility. Standards have been slipping for years. Most British television comedy does not make people laugh out loud - fact!

As a viewing audience we are free to switch over to something we like while continuing to bitch about telly being dominated by stuff that we don't like. We like to call the stuff we are not into "shit" but only because it makes us feel big and clever about our personal taste being superior to anyone else's. In comedy world one man's shit is invariably another's comedic orgasm.

Switch over to what? BBC Three? Please give me a viable television alternative to the mush we're served week after week. Look at the 'comedy' sections of both the BBC and Channel 4 website. Point out some recent 'gems'.

All of the above were recently covered by Mongrels which was a 100% Brit production last time I checked. And they have also thrown in disability, terrorism, rape, anti-Semitism, scatology, and a lot of other "subversive" topics too.

Good. Oh look, it's been cancelled. Though I think that has more to do with the execution of the humour rather then just the topics. But at least they tried.

Subversive comedy is still around Brit TV same as it always has been. Perhaps it's not noticed as much as the shock value seems to have been diluted in these more liberal times. But it's certainly at least on par with whatever the Americans can offer.

Please cite examples and sources, otherwise I can't grade your score.

Change to what? To whatever YOU like? If I were God Of Comedy (and I should be!) I would chuck Andy Parsons, Russell Howard, Dawn French, Michael McIntyre plus a few others into the eternal flames of Comedy Hell. However as a mere mortal I just have to put up with the fact that not everyone has the same taste in comedy.

No, you don't. That kind of defeatist talk will get you nowhere and just tells the programme makers that you are nothing but a passive tool.

But as Brits I think we could all maybe take a step back and look at the bigger picture and perhaps we might then feel a wee bit proud of the wide and rich variety of our own comedy culture before claiming the Americans (or anyone else for that matter) can do it better?

Not in recent years. As much as I'd like to climb into my comedy TARDIS wearing rose tinted spectacles on a one way trip to nostalgia-ville, revelling in past glories is no excuse for the terrible output of current British comedy.

Black is white, fact!
Up is down, fact!
I can fly, fact!
I was right...writing 'fact' after an assertion doesn't strengthen my argument.
(No matter how fond I am of using it)

Quote: rwayne @ February 2 2012, 5:48 PM GMT

Black is white, fact!
Up is down, fact!
I can fly, fact!
I was right...writing 'fact' after an assertion doesn't strengthen my argument.
(No matter how fond I am of using it)

rwayne has contributed nothing to this conversation - fact! ;)

I don't like using the little 'cartoon faces' on the left, I prefer to use
words to say what I mean. Just a personal opinion, of course, but it does rather give me the impression that people who use them CONSTANTLY are, in fact, teenage girls.

Quote: rwayne @ February 2 2012, 6:01 PM GMT

I don't like using the little 'cartoon faces' on the left, I prefer to use
words to say what I mean. Just a personal opinion, of course, but it does rather give me the impression that people who use them CONSTANTLY are, in fact, teenage girls.

I use them to indicate when I am having a joke with someone. You see, there are an incredible amount of joyless, humourless people on the Internet.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 2 2012, 6:05 PM GMT

I use them to indicate when I am having a joke with someone. You see, there are an incredible amount of joyless, humourless people on the Internet.

There you are we see...I don't. I don't really think everyone that uses them, constantly, is a teenage girl - that would be stupid (it was a joke)
I accept, of course, total responsibility for you not understanding that. It's my job to write in a way to make myself understood so I apologise.
In my defence though writing well is hard.
Shouldn't it be "there IS an incredible amount..." by the way?
;)...(That's just for you)

Quote: rwayne @ February 2 2012, 6:17 PM GMT

Shouldn't it be "there IS an incredible amount..." by the way?
;)...(That's just for you)

Laughing out loud

Not sure when the subject is plural such as people. There IS people sounds so wrong.

Have a little think and try again.

Do you know what? I'm not going to bother. My perceived grammatical short comings aren't doing anything to move this debate forward.

Perhaps you would like to enlighten me on your personal view of British television comedy in 2011?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 2 2012, 6:29 PM GMT

Do you know what? I'm not going to bother. My perceived grammatical short comings aren't doing anything to move this debate forward.

Perhaps you would like to enlighten me on your personal view of British television comedy in 2011?

Thank you I accept your apology and your recognition that you typed a little too early and now realise you were wrong. It's ok though, we all make mistakes...I'm sure I've made many. We are never too old to learn though...none of us.

Quote: rwayne @ February 2 2012, 6:34 PM GMT

Thank you I accept your apology and your recognition that you typed a little too early and now realise you were wrong. It's ok though, we all make mistakes...I'm sure I've made many. We are never too old to learn though...none of us.

Just as I thought, you have nothing to add to this debate.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 2 2012, 6:55 PM GMT

Just as I thought, you have nothing to add to this debate.

Just as I thought, you have taken to re-defining words: Conversation, debate, fact...to name but three.
Go ahead and have the last word (I understand how important that is to you)
I'm going to the pub shortly. (Pub?...it's just a place where people meet up to have a drink and speak face to face)

Quote: rwayne @ February 2 2012, 6:34 PM GMT

Quote: rwayne @ February 2 2012, 7:04 PM GMT

Just as I thought, you have taken to re-defining words: Conversation, debate, fact...to name but three.
Go ahead and have the last word (I understand how important that is to you)
I'm going to the pub shortly. (Pub?...it's just a place where people meet up to have a drink and speak face to face)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBelT-Xi1CY