British comedy is no longer funny Page 27

I respect all opinions and I'm not some fragile ego type that needs validating so the question as to whether I need my opinions agreeing with is bizarre given that I haven't asked to be agreed with. So I don't understand the point it is you're trying to make. And you seem to be on this crusade to rescue me from something I don't need rescuing from or convince of your view. Trust me you don't need to.

Plus if you read my previous response you'd have noted the British sitcoms I do like, and none of which you'd listed, I'll repost them again

Rev
The IT Crowd
Mum
Chewing Gum

I also tend to watch US sitcoms. This isn't about alternative comedy formats, such as pod casts, but about sitcoms more importantly the sad state of British sitcoms. And what I want is for British sitcoms to be as great, its current state is woeful like watching a talented opera singer sing advertising jingles, when it could be wonderful and diverse if not more so than its US counterparts.

Okay, let's recap...

By page 26 of this thread, various people were quipping about making silly blanket statements about there being no good british comedy anymore etc.

Then you show up and introduce the topic of sitcoms. You express your displeasure with the lack of diversity, especially in sitcoms, and that there aren't any or many good new sitcoms (especially ones with diverse casts).

Then I respond, on what you are referring to as a crusade (you can call it that if you want, I, too am not some "fragile ego type that needs validation") with a few questions and a list of (mostly) sitcoms, first, a list of ones that are very recent or still on, and then a list of ones since about the year 2000 (as I hadn't yet established what time frame you were considering to be of poor quality sitcom-wise). I then asked you if your aim in posting in this thread is to seek recommendations of British comedy that is funny (hence the title "British comedy is no longer funny") considering that you expressed the current state of comedy brings a tear to your eye or whatever you said. My "crusade" was an earnest attempt to wipe the tears away and open your eyes to british comedy that might make you less sad about the state of comedy

You responded in kind by adding a few to the list (which I acknowledged I too, have seen and enjoyed, so I'm not sure why you posted them again. Do you want me to update my list to include your choices or something?) and clarified that you are not interested in talking about anything apart from very recent sitcoms, and specifically the issue of diversity.

The only view I'm trying to convince you of is the view that contrary to the statement in the title of this thread, british comedy IS still funny, and there is lots of great comedy content out there if you look for it. I wasn't sure whether you were interested in seeking out such comedy to perhaps change your negative view of british comedy, or whether you just wanted to talk about diversity issues or something. I get the sense that you're not interested in talking about other comedy (although, I don't think I'm going off topic by mentioning things other than sitcoms. You introduced the constraint of sitcoms, and I suggested that constraining yourself to sitcoms might be limiting you from being able to see/hear/read a lot of good current british comedy).

So what you want is to make the UK sitcom great again? Or something like that? We might be talking past each other at this point. In essence, I'm not entirely sure what point you're trying to make. And you stated that you're not sure what point I'm trying to make. The point I'm trying to make is that I don't think your wrong that there are few good current UK sitcoms, especially ones with diverse casts, but that the state of UK comedy as a whole is still rich and that outside of primetime sitcoms there is a lot of great comedy content being generated. Sure you might have to sort through some muck to find it, which is why I wanted to offer help in finding things you might enjoy. And I'm not an expert in any sense of the word. Other forum posters probably would have a much more expansive knowledge of what's out there and what might appeal to you, but I get the sense that's not what you're after. That's the point I'm trying to make. What's the point you're trying to make? Are we on the same page?

[Edit: I like the shows you added to the list except IT Crowd, but that's just a taste thing. I love everyone in the cast in everything they've done other than IT Crowd, and Graham Linehan is great. But I really don't like that show. Not that it matters.]

In the words of Virgil, f**king Hell.

You don't need to wipe away my tears or console me in any way I have feelings and I want to feel as I know they will pass.

I'm more than capable of wiping my own eyes. I keep stating I want British sitcoms to be great again, there's way too much dross and yes the great are few and far between and the garbage taints what is otherwise a fantastic art form.

You also assume I don't listen to podcasts and radio, as per your recommendations, I do, perhaps you should've asked before assuming. My concerns refer strictly to sitcoms, and regardless of the previous posts and conversations on the subject am I still entitled to my own view? 26 pages or not? Although you seem to imply that isn't the case as it doesn't compliment the narrative of the thread.

Furthermore you can list as many British sitcoms as you like doesn't mean it agree as to whether or not they're good and there are many on your list I don't think are, how you compose your list is up to you.

To reiterate I've already watched your list and I honestly disagree with most of your choices. British sitcoms can are capable of being better.

Alright.

Okay, so we agree about sitcoms. At least kind of. You don't like a bunch on my list, that's fine, it's a matter of taste. You don't want me to list more. So I won't. You also don't want recommendations of podcasts or web series or whatever else, so I will not bother you with that either. I didn't assume you don't enjoy those things, I just expressed an opinion (we're both entitled to our own differing opinions are we not?) that I personally have found a lot of great recent british comedy in those mediums that I have found funny (hearkening back to the topic of the thread....which is not to say that you are not also on topic by talking about sitcoms, sitcoms are after all a kind of comedy. I never said you were off topic. I only said that I too am on topic). It sounds like you have too. Great. So it sounds like we both disagree with the statement that "British comedy is no longer funny".

You are welcome to wipe your own tears regarding your sitcom sadness. Sorry for offering a tissue. Next time I'll remember not to try to help you out unless are clearly asking for recommendations. I didn't intend to offend you by mentioning shows I like (and I'm also not offended that you don't like the same shows as me, that's perfectly fine by me) I'm just here to talk about comedy with other people who like comedy. We're all friends here (except when we're not). I see now that you do not want or need help. You wanted to express an opinion about sitcoms and diversity, to which I have nothing further to contribute.

Glad we cleared that up.

Thank you glad we cleared that up and if it helps just to clarify I respect your opinion I just don't agree with it entirely.

I get knocked down but I get up again, wiping my own tears for me is part of building a backbone, that doesn't mean I don't need help, but that I must also learn to ask for it, whether that be a tissue or sitcom recommendation.

Hehe, yes. :)

I'm glad too. In any case, I see you're new to the forums. Welcome! Do stick around. Being hounded in this thread by the board's resident crazy person (aka me) on your first post is probably not the best introduction, but you are very welcome here. We could use some new blood. Bloodhound? (ignore me. I haven't slept in....I don't know how long anymore)

You're not crazy in fact I've enjoyed our conversation, just because I have an opinion that in some ways differs to yours doesn't mean Your hounding me, instead it offers me a different perspective and an opportunity to reevaluate my own views and convictions.

Thanks, but I definitely am crazy, haha. See the 'checking in' thread in the general section for details on my particular strain of insanity.

Glad to have someone new who has an open mind. Hope to see more posts from you in the future. :)

Quote: Davida @ 27th May 2017, 4:26 AM

However, I don't think sitcom is the best vehicle for new comedy these days.
Comedy is not dead, nor is it stagnating, you just might not find what you're looking for at primetime on BBC 1.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Quote: Flossy @ 27th May 2017, 11:30 AM

The sitcom, especially of the progressive kind, as an art form, is becoming obsolete

I argue the opposite. The sitcom as entertainment is in dire straits. As worthy arty farty (and largely laughter-free) nonsense, it's thriving: Mum, Fleabag, Flowers, etc.

Quote: Flossy @ 27th May 2017, 12:47 PM

what I want is for British sitcoms to be as great, its current state is woeful like watching a talented opera singer sing advertising jingles, when it could be wonderful and diverse if not more so than its US counterparts.

Amen to that.