Elvis has left the building Page 4

Quote: catskillz @ December 20 2011, 1:00 PM GMT

Believing this stuff takes time. Unfortuntely most people don't have a lot of spare time, and when they do get some, they're busy watching the X-Factor, EastEnders or sport, so they don't get to see stuff like this (skip to 45:24 and watch until 51:10): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfIlUMS_Q3g&feature=relmfu

What's that guy from again? Does he play Waring Hudsucker? Man, it's really bugging me! I feel like he's from some Coen Bros movie anyway. Or something I've seen on telly recently. The internet's saying he's called Tom Quinn but I haven't seen any of the films he's been in, plus I think they're wrong. Chip, you know your movies!

Quote: David Bussell @ December 20 2011, 1:16 PM GMT

What's that guy from again? Does he play Waring Hudsucker? Man, it's really bugging me! I feel like he's from some Coen Bros movie anyway. Or something I've seen on telly recently. The internet's saying he's called Tom Quinn but I haven't seen any of the films he's been in, plus I think they're wrong. Chip, you know your movies!

Nice try, Bussell, but I'm still not clicking on a Catskillz link. It's a slippery slope...

I'll spare you having to watch that video (although hearing the voice might help). Here are a couple of pics to jog your memory...

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 20 2011, 7:06 AM GMT

I think this is probably nearest the mark. I think maybe the state puts something in their rice too. How can the north be so rabidly different from the south? There is real hatred there.

I have a few South Korean friends and many friends who lived in South Korea for years and they all say that the North Koreans are showing genuine emotion over their leader's death. They are isolated from the rest of the world and fed propaganda 24/7, so it's not that difficult to imagine. Consider the Japanese and their emperor during WWII -- soldiers fought to the death in impossible battles, flew themselves into naval ships and women held their children in their arms and jumped off cliffs because they thought their emperor was divine and their heads were full of propaganda.

Quote: chipolata @ December 20 2011, 9:59 AM GMT

Why is that? You have an unpopular Democratic president yet the opposition has fielded a line-up of pygmies?

There are (and were) several good candidates and one of them is likely to win the election. The Democrat-friendly press rabidly attacks whomever is in the lead, so we get an endless reporting of affairs and scandals mixed with daily reporting of minor gaffes. Obama admitted to abusing cocaine and the press let it pass; a similar revelation about Romney would doom his campaign.

Even former candidates are rabidly pursued: Sarah Palin's e-mails were released and the New York Times requested that readers plow through them in search of juicy morsels. I have yet to see any similar requests for assistance concerning data dumps from the current administration.

DaButt you and Catskillz should take a holiday together

it's great that the press has grown up enough that no one cares about a small indiscretion in a politician's youth.

Even if they spent an awful lot of time trying to prove someone was a foreign muslim because he had dark skin and a foreign middle name.

Though too much discretion maybe a bad thing, alcoholic, coke addicted felons don't make such good prezes. Amazing a man whose history of mental illness and feloniousness who shouldn't be able to buy a gun managed to start the 2 bloodiest wars this milennia thus far.

Quote: David Bussell @ December 20 2011, 3:00 PM GMT

I'll spare you having to watch that video (although hearing the voice might help). Here are a couple of pics to jog your memory...

Are you thinking of Charles Durning? Although he's also got a touch of the Ned Beattys - late period Ned, not the younger one that squealed like a pig.

Quote: sootyj @ December 20 2011, 4:08 PM GMT

DaButt you and Catskillz should take a holiday together

Theres a difference between discussing the seamy side of modern politics and espousing conspiracy theories about the evil Americans and Rothschilds conspiring to cause a volcano to erupt by using sekret death rayz.

And let us not forget about JournoList, where hundreds of journalists plotted to protect Obama during his campaign:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JournoList

On July 20, 2010, The Daily Caller (DC) published the dialog of the JournoList concerning Jeremiah Wright. The contributors discussed killing the Wright story, as it was reflecting negatively on Barack Obama.

it's great that the press has grown up enough that no one cares about a small indiscretion in a politician's youth.

Like the news anchor of a major TV network whose career was ruined in an election year after flogging blatantly false documents about young George W. Bush's service in the Air Force?

Amazing a man whose history of mental illness and feloniousness who shouldn't be able to buy a gun managed to start the 2 bloodiest wars this milennia thus far.

You're apparently referring to George Bush again, but he only started one war and that war was a continuation of a war that he didn't start in which hostilities had never ceased. That said, I think you should look up wars in places like Darfur before making such wild accusations.

It's ok Chaps I'm back!

Oh we're talking about that Elvis.

As you were Mama Thankyaverymurch

I'll never, ever tire of posting this Simpsons clip for DaButt's benefit (which he always ignores, but that's hardly the point)...

An Amendment To Be

:)

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 20 2011, 11:20 PM GMT

I'll never, ever tire of posting this Simpsons clip for DaButt's benefit (which he always ignores, but that's hardly the point)...

Not sure what video has to do with the subject at hand, but yeah, we just keep amending the constitution like crazy Errr

Quote: DaButt @ December 20 2011, 3:27 PM GMT

I have a few South Korean friends and many friends who lived in South Korea for years and they all say that the North Koreans are showing genuine emotion over their leader's death. They are isolated from the rest of the world and fed propaganda 24/7, so it's not that difficult to imagine. Consider the Japanese and their emperor during WWII -- soldiers fought to the death in impossible battles, flew themselves into naval ships and women held their children in their arms and jumped off cliffs because they thought their emperor was divine and their heads were full of propaganda.

There are (and were) several good candidates and one of them is likely to win the election. The Democrat-friendly press rabidly attacks whomever is in the lead, so we get an endless reporting of affairs and scandals mixed with daily reporting of minor gaffes. Obama admitted to abusing cocaine and the press let it pass; a similar revelation about Romney would doom his campaign.

Even former candidates are rabidly pursued: Sarah Palin's e-mails were released and the New York Times requested that readers plow through them in search of juicy morsels. I have yet to see any similar requests for assistance concerning data dumps from the current administration.

How many people read the New York Times compared to watch Fox News again? And I seem to remeber potential Democratic presidential candidates getting roasted by the media back in 2008. As for the media ignoring the Obama cocaine stuff, maybe it's karma after they happily ran with that birther nonsense early in his administration?

Shock horror journalists talk amongst each other and have editorial stances.

I wonder if such an organisation would have existed if the right wing republican press had behaved so atrociously? Swift boaters for truth anyone?

Thing is so little stuff stuck to Barrack, that most of the claims made against him were so absurd. On the flip side Dubya managed to spin a truly horrendous history; of substance abuse, fundamentalism, criminality and failure.

Oh and Bush just stopped bothering declaring war on states at somepoint.

Quote: chipolata @ December 20 2011, 11:41 PM GMT

How many people read the New York Times compared to watch Fox News again?

Wikipedia sez:

at the end of August 2010 Foxnews.com was averaging an estimated 24 million unique visitors per month, versus 47 million for MSNBC.com and 48 million for CNN.com.

(The New York Times) website is the most popular American online newspaper website, receiving more than 30 million unique visitors per month

And I seem to remeber potential Democratic presidential candidates getting roasted by the media back in 2008. As for the media ignoring the Obama cocaine stuff, maybe it's karma after they happily ran with that birther nonsense early in his administration?

The cocaine admission was made prior to the birth certificate kerfuffle so your reasoning doesn't stand. As for 2008, there were multiple Democrats running for office, so the push was on to crush Obama's opponents. Now that he's the only Democrat in the running the full force can be brought against the GOP candidates.

Of course the real issue seems to be Dubya had an attrocious history by any standard. Certainly enough to have comprehensively failed him in almost any other Western democracy (except France)

Where as Obama did bugger all except snort abit of blow. Oh and was a bit slow separating himself from a dodgy preacher (whose views weren't that bizarre)

Do you really not see the straining effort to find mud to sling at Obama and hurriedly wash it off of Dubya.

Atleast our incumbent PM didn't find Jaysus to cover up his Bullingdon naughtiness.

Quote: sootyj @ December 20 2011, 11:42 PM GMT

Shock horror journalists talk amongst each other and have editorial stances.

That's what the editorial pages are for. Discussing burying stories that are harmful to an individual candidate is a breach of the public's trust.

Thing is so little stuff stuck to Barrack, that most of the claims made against him were so absurd. On the flip side Dubya managed to spin a truly horrendous history

Why so little talk in the press about Solyndra, Fast and Furious, a still operational Guantanamo, our worsening relationship with Russia, Obama's lies about his grandmother, his frequent gaffes, etc? We hear plenty about the lousy economy because it's the elephant in the room, but the press has treated the current president with great restraint. As I've said many times before, I worked at a newspaper for almost a decade and my friends the editors were hardcore Democrats to a man and weren't afraid to admit to their bias in private.