The Café - Series 1 Page 3

Nice to see Brian Murphy in the second episode. I liked it a lot, but being on Sky One, it's in the US mould of being too short at 20 minutes. Should have been done on BBC Four.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ November 24 2011, 10:47 PM GMT

I agree, just ask Marc P.

well I do sit in a cafe sometimes lol, mainly eating a big fry up! :)

Hmmmm! Not for me this. It is pleasant enough but certainly not funny.
The manners are too good.

I've tried to give this one the best chance. I wanted it to be funny, but alas it wasn't. The structure for a sitcom is there, but they seem to have forgotten to put the jokes in. I also felt that it was trying to push catchphrases, instead of letting them develop.
There seemed to be a lot of opportunites for gags missed too. When the older woman was on about the Cliff Richard tokens in the paper. The cafe owner said she would have to get some scissors. If she had added something along the lines of '...to stab myself with', THAT would have been funny.

Will give it one more try, but the rest of the family have already stopped watching.

Shame.

I watched episode 4 last night and just found it depressing. Not what you want from a comedy, really.

"is that it"

not the wisest quote for the trail for the final episode.

Quote: Aaron @ December 10 2011, 3:01 PM GMT

I watched episode 4 last night and just found it depressing.

Have you ever been to Weston-Super-Mare?

Ha ha. :D

I've watched three episodes and just don't get it. Nothing is happening, is it?

I just assumed this was because I never really 'got' The Royle Family but wifey did and assures me this is nothing like it, certainly in terms of jokes/funny things happening.

Dan

Having watched all 5 episodes, my wife & I are real converts to this refreshingly light entertainment. I was hooked after the first 3 bars of the signature tune. Brilliant. Its low key version of Beyond the Sea immediately sent me off for the music & learn the song.

Whilst promoting the series with friends, I say that there is no sex, no swearing, no violence, just simple acting, plenty of emotional ups & downs and real life situations. Excellent to see some of the "young" comedy talent developing their skills in new areas.

I feel that all the individuals that criticise the programme should watch out when this series gets a broader audience when it moves to the main channels. Then the awards will flow in.

Well done Ralf Little & team.

Absolutely. You tell 'em, Mr Little! :)

Quote: ashfield @ December 18 2011, 9:34 PM GMT

Having watched all 5 episodes, my wife & I are real converts to this refreshingly light entertainment. I was hooked after the first 3 bars of the signature tune. Brilliant. Its low key version of Beyond the Sea immediately sent me off for the music & learn the song.

Whilst promoting the series with friends, I say that there is no sex, no swearing, no violence, just simple acting, plenty of emotional ups & downs and real life situations. Excellent to see some of the "young" comedy talent developing their skills in new areas.

I feel that all the individuals that criticise the programme should watch out when this series gets a broader audience when it moves to the main channels. Then the awards will flow in.

Well done Ralf Little & team.

I agree with Ashfield. The show has a feel-good factor to it. A real gentle sort of comedy that I wouldn't normally like, but I do!

I haven't seen it, but I'd imagine Sky1 will be thrilled to know they're not a 'main channel' after all the money they've spent. :D

Since the radio comedy Nebulous, I always call it Weston Hyper Mare.

Quote: Geffers @ December 19 2011, 1:29 PM GMT

Since the radio comedy Nebulous, I always call it Weston Hyper Mare.

I'm drifting...