The British Comedy Awards 2011 Page 6

Do I take it that Stewart Lee won? Excellent. Awards are shit, obviously, but his show was the best comedy on the telly in years.

Quote: Vince Ives @ December 16 2011, 11:01 PM GMT

We really are getting our backsides kicked by the Americans at comedy aren't we?

Yep. And badly.

The only ones I was happy with were:

Best Male Comic: Stewart Lee
Lifetime Achievement Award: Have I Got News For You
Best Comedy Entertainment Programme: Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle
Writer's Guild of Great Britain Award: Armando Ianucci
Best Comedy Drama: Psychoville

It would of been nice if Charlie Brooker won something but ah well...

Quote: zooo @ December 16 2011, 10:52 PM GMT

Freddie just made a right twat of himself. Cringe.

That seems very harsh. I don't see how he did.
Clearly the man has some problems and maybe, whoever decided it was a good idea to have him present an award, behaved like a 'twat'?

Well I'm very glad I missed this backslapping cum backstabbing parade with hundreds of self regarding, cliquey, careerist delusionists looking unsure whether to laugh or not incase it ruins their credibility. The results? Who the hell cares, except them and their mums? People know what they like to watch and such subjective award givings are not going to change it. VW gets another award! Has she been in something this year then? I haven't noticed it if she has, or is it just for being herself, as so many of these nonsense gongs are?

Quote: rwayne @ December 17 2011, 12:52 PM GMT

That seems very harsh. I don't see how he did.
Clearly the man has some problems and maybe, whoever decided it was a good idea to have him present an award, behaved like a 'twat'?

I don't think it needs explaining. It was pretty clear how he behaved like a twat.

Quote: zooo @ December 17 2011, 1:08 PM GMT

I don't think it needs explaining. It was pretty clear how he behaved like a twat.

It's not at all...unless you think someone, who's clearly not a well man, is behaving like a twat because of his illness.

I suspect it was karma for Shooting Star chaps involvement in the atrociously unfunny pre-ceremony film bit.

Do you mean illness as in being pissed?

Quote: zooo @ December 16 2011, 10:31 PM GMT

Heh.
As much as I love Stewart Lee, Karl should have got that second one.

I quite agree, it wa great seeing Stew get the first one, he's in a different league to most of the clowwns there, but I'd have loved Karl to get the 2nd one, and Stew didn't even give a speech for it.

I was glad Whitehall didn't win anyting (that I noticed at least).

Has no one seen a Freddie Starr show? Not even An Audience With...? 'Cos that just struck me as very normal Freddie Starr behaviour, unhinged and trying to instill a sense of nervousness and discomfort in people. And it worked.

And Angelos handled him very well. They'd complement each other wonderfully in a double act.

Quote: Aaron @ December 17 2011, 2:11 PM GMT

Has no one seen a Freddie Starr show? Not even An Audience With...? 'Cos that just struck me as very normal Freddie Starr behaviour, unhinged and trying to instill a sense of nervousness and discomfort in people. And it worked.

Quite.

Can't believe I missed this. Anyone got an idea if Channel 4 is likely to 4oD it any time soon?

It's on 4OD now

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/british-comedy-awards/4od#3271701 ?

Quote: AJGO @ December 17 2011, 2:17 PM GMT

It's on 4OD now

So... last week's nomination show was series 5, but last night's awards show is series 3? No wonder I couldn't find it.