The British Comedy Awards 2011 Page 7

Quote: zooo @ December 17 2011, 1:38 PM GMT

Do you mean illness as in being pissed?

Well I'm not sure what I saw was just a man who was 'pissed'. I'd have thought, just seeing him yesterday, that it was clearly more than that. Regardless, if he has medication issues (prescribed or otherwise) it, perhaps, wasn't the wisest decision to bring him on.
I'm very uncomfortable with people who clearly have problems being paraded on TV for the 'amusement' of an audience...in the same way as they did with George Best.
It somehow seems worse, to me, to do it with a comedian at a ceremony to honour comedy and comedians. If you like him or not, in his day, Freddie Starr reached larger audiences, both on TV and live tours, than probably any person in that room last night. I would have thought he should be respected for that if nothing else.

To me he just seemed a bit drunk and very rude! (But like Aaron says, he's always a bit rude/confrontational, I just thought he was annoyingly so this time.)

Anyway, let's not make a bigger deal of it than it is.

I shall have to read back through these posts, as I don't remember Aaron saying that at all.
Not a big deal though as you say. Just my opinion.

Quite.

It might be schadenfreude, but I was pleased to see the Jack Whitehall agency juggernaut, despite preposterously managing to get him on the nominations list for the 'King or Queen of Comedy' award, didn't succeed in securing him any gongs last night.

Probably only a minor victory for fairness and common sense though, as I expect the posh tit's rise to the top to continue unabated in 2012, regardless of his mediocre talents.

There was a very self-revealing quote from Whitehall though (from Digital Spy)...

'When I was at school, I was in A Midsummer's Night Dream and had a shit part, so I'd like to do that again but have a proper role. Then my drama teacher can watch it and be, ooh, maybe I should have cast him, instead of being a fairy at the back of the stage for a couple of hours.'

Tells you everything you need to know about Jack's fragile ego and his view of his rightful place in the world..

As far as the BCAs in general, it was mostly dull. Strange how Jonathan Ross (and his writers) chose to make a cheap gag at Stephen K Amos's expense, but couldn't find space to make one (of any number of potentially very funny gags) about Ricky Gervais's year. Odd that.

Quote: zooo @ December 17 2011, 4:06 PM GMT

To me he just seemed a bit drunk and very rude!

To be fair, zoooo, you were only annoyed because you like Angelos. If it had been somebody you don't like getting a comedy award - Peter Kay, Jensen Button, IT David - you'd have been hissing at the screen, "Get him, Freddy! Get him good!"

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 17 2011, 4:43 PM GMT

Strange how Jonathan Ross (and his writers) chose to make a cheap gag at Stephen K Amos's expense, but couldn't find space to make one (of any number of potentially very funny gags) about Ricky Gervais's year. Odd that.

I was surprised at that too. Life's Too Short has been the high-profile comedy turd of the year - both critically and in terms of ratings - yet there was not a single joke about it the whole evening.

Lol, no, Freddie creeps me out in general. I find him a bit scary.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 17 2011, 4:43 PM GMT

It might be schadenfreude, but I was pleased to see the Jack Whitehall agency juggernaut, despite preposterously managing to get him on the nominations list for the 'King or Queen of Comedy' award, didn't succeed in securing him any gongs last night.

He was co-beneficiary of the Fresh Meat prize for Best New Comedy, and remains one of the top 4 Best TV Comedy Actors in the country, even if he didn't take the ultimate title.

No idea how the 'King or Queen' shortlist is arrived at.

Quote: Aaron @ December 17 2011, 5:56 PM GMT

and remains one of the top 4 Best TV Comedy Actors in the country

Course he is.

And Victoria Wood is obviously the best female TV comic in the country.

And Twenty Twelve was clearly a better sitcom than Peep Show series 7.

And so on...

Quote: chipolata @ December 17 2011, 5:13 PM GMT

I was surprised at that too. Life's Too Short has been the high-profile comedy turd of the year - both critically and in terms of ratings - yet there was not a single joke about it the whole evening.

Yes, you'd have thought Gervais' close friend and next-door neighbour would have torn him to shreds, wouldn't you?

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 17 2011, 7:21 PM GMT

Course he is.

I thought the 'apparently' was implied.

Quote: Jinky @ December 17 2011, 7:23 PM GMT

Yes, you'd have thought Gervais' close friend and next-door neighbour would have torn him to shreds, wouldn't you?

I would. Ross is very good friends with a lot of comedians and has been happy to take the piss out of them and their work over the years. And that includes Gervais. It just seemed odd.

No one else mentioned it either. Anyone could have made a comment. Maybe if he'd been in attendance things would have been said.

Quote: chipolata @ December 17 2011, 7:43 PM GMT

I would. Ross is very good friends with a lot of comedians and has been happy to take the piss out of them and their work over the years. And that includes Gervais. It just seemed odd.

If you start to get fat, people make a joke about it and call you 'fatty'.

If you continue to get fat and end up obese, people stop saying 'fatty' and it all goes very quiet.

Or so I've been told.

Life's Too Short isn't a bit chubby, it's one of those big wobbly monsters that have to be airlifted to hospital after the firemen have demolished a wall of the house to gain access....

That's why Wossy isn't making any comments.

Quote: zooo @ December 17 2011, 7:47 PM GMT

No one else mentioned it either. Anyone could have made a comment. Maybe if he'd been in attendance things would have been said.

He seems to have spent the whole of the night arguing about religion on Twitter.