The Sitcom Mission 2012 Page 59

Quote: Haywire @ February 29 2012, 7:41 AM GMT

Does no-one else find it quite unprofessional, disrespectful and hypocritical that the longlist date has been delayed?
Sorry, but someone had to say it...and everyone is too scared to upset the judges...

Huh?

No respect given to the writers.

You've not been doing this long, have you?
If you find this minor delay too galling - writing may not be your ideal career choice.

Does no-one else find it quite unprofessional, disrespectful and hypocritical that the longlist date has been delayed?

I'm sure there was indeed a clause in the rules that says they "can" move the date if necessary...

But when some writers were asking on here around 31st January "can we extend the deadline a day?", they were told in no uncertain terms, "pfft, nooo you fools, you knew the deadline you were working to". And those were the paying customers.

But now, the guys who are PAID can't meet the deadline. And they just say 'oh, we're moving it a few days later because we can'. No respect given to the writers. Not a "we're really sorry, it's our fault, we messed up and didn't do our job". (Saying they want to give as much time to the scripts is a lame-arsed, nothingness reason. Why not delay it 6 months if you really need time?) Just, "we're moving it" delivered in Declan's usual arrogant tone to feed his own insatiable ego.

Sorry, but someone had to say it...and everyone is too scared to upset the judges...

Haywire, if you entered the competition and want to know whether you got through to the long list, PM me and I'll let you know the result of your entry.

Quote: Declan @ February 29 2012, 9:43 AM GMT

Haywire, if you entered the competition and want to know whether you got through to the long list, PM me and I'll let you know the result of your entry.

Laughing out loud

Don't tell him your name,Pike!

Well I have received two pages of comments back. Some of them were pretty good. Just to be sure does that mean I didn't make the list because of feedback?

Quote: Lazzard @ February 29 2012, 9:36 AM GMT

You've not been doing this long, have you?
If you find this minor delay too galling - writing may not be your ideal career choice.

That's what I thought too. Maybe get on with something else while you're waiting. Best not dwelling, as the (usually inevitable) failure will eat away at you.

Work on your Laugh Track/Sitcom Trials/Newsjack stuff instead.

Dan

I'm sure there was indeed a clause in the rules that says they "can" move the date if necessary...

But when some writers were asking on here around 31st January "can we extend the deadline a day?", they were told in no uncertain terms, "pfft, nooo you fools, you knew the deadline you were working to". And those were the paying customers.

But now, the guys who are PAID can't meet the deadline. And they just say 'oh, we're moving it a few days later because we can'. No respect given to the writers. Not a "we're really sorry, it's our fault, we messed up and didn't do our job". (Saying they want to give as much time to the scripts is a lame-arsed, nothingness reason. Why not delay it 6 months if you really need time?) Just, "we're moving it" delivered in Declan's usual arrogant tone to feed his own insatiable ego.

That argument doesn't really make any sense does it? You say people were asking
"can we extend the deadline a day?" First of all there's no 'we'... it's a competition and, like any other, 'we' don't get to change the rules.
Maybe, too, this competition should be seen as a test as to whether someone can write something that is saleable (frofessional if you will) and I would assume part of what a professional writer needs to do (I have no knowledge of this) is
to keep to the deadlines that the ones paying you set?
As for people being too scared to upset the judges that just is nonesense really isn't it... the winners will be the best scripts - that's all. If it were based on a popularity contest for stangers on an internet forum the we would all be f**ked!

I agree. I can only see positives in them delaying the announcement, as much as I'd pencilled in today as a day of email checking and nothing else!

What time will the announcement be on saturday?

23:59:59

Tell yourself that now, and don't bother checking for the list until then. The result will be the same!

Quote: Ant Edge @ February 29 2012, 9:44 AM GMT

Well I have received two pages of comments back. Some of them were pretty good. Just to be sure does that mean I didn't make the list because of feedback?

Certainly not. Those who paid for feedback will have got the first bit early this morning. Getting feedback isn't an alternative to being longlisted.

The reason that the deadline has been changed (by a massive 3 days) is that an unexpected number of people asked for feedback. We wanted to do it properly rather than just scribble 'it's brilliant/crap/derivative etc' so we've spent longer on script analysis than expected.

You don't have to be polite to the judges. It's true; we are looking for the best material.

I know everyone's tense, waiting to see if they're longlisted, but some of you need to get some perspective on this. Some of the reaction has been pretty hysterical.

Don't panic, don't panic!

Quote: Marc P @ February 29 2012, 9:44 AM GMT

Laughing out loud

Don't tell him your name,Pike!

I was thinking that.

The others are right of course. As a scribbler at any level you have to be prepared for knockbacks and deadline changes aplenty and just cannot pin all your hopes on them. Now excuse me, as I have to cancel that champagne and hamper I'd ordered for this evening. :(

I got my first bit of feedback this morning, and I am really pleased with it. It is very constructive, and says exactly what the reader did and didn't like. It has really given me something to work on - complete re-write and it looks like I'll have to ditch what I thought was the best character! I am just hoping that it doesn't contradict what the second reader thinks - then I'll be in a quandary!

We know from experience that this is no way to win friends.

400 entries, and 32 get longlisted.

32 people break out the champagne, 368 people are disappointed.