The Sitcom Mission 2012 Page 31

Hi Marooned

I'm good, hope you are too.

Sounds great.

Cheers, Declan

I've finished the first draft of my sitcom today. Had a busy weekend but once I got into it every normal event was a distraction and I couldn't wait to get back to it. I had the story in my head for the last week and had notes and ideas all around me. I'm sure there will be a few adjustments before I submit but I'm pretty much there :)

I'm about halfway through the first draft. I think the "3rd page must be acrostic" requirement is the hardest to work around. How are other people handling it?

Erm, we have a title.

Been a bit busy of late!

Put it this way, we're unlikely to be Early Birds.

Just discovered I'm away from next week-end till beyond deadline.
It's balls out or nothing.

Quote: evan rubivellian @ January 16 2012, 10:26 AM GMT

I'm about halfway through the first draft. I think the "3rd page must be acrostic" requirement is the hardest to work around. How are other people handling it?

It's not '3rd page must be acrostic' it's '3rd page must be in cross stitch'.

I do wish you people would read the rules properly.

Not wishing to criticise the ebook (in fact, I'm not, as it's excellent) but the formatting is all wrong on my Kindle whatever I do. Is that just how it is or have I got some settings wrong that Si/Dec could advise on?

That said, it's a great read and, considering I haven't yet started writing anything with 15 days left to deadline, let's see how well it works from a standing start! :)

Dan

Hi Dan

What sort of problems are you having with the formatting? Nobody else has mentioned it so far, but that doesn't mean that they haven't had the same issues.

Glad you like it.

Cheers, Declan

Quote: Declan @ January 16 2012, 2:01 PM GMT

It's not '3rd page must be acrostic' it's '3rd page must be in cross stitch'.

I do wish you people would read the rules properly.

Oh, darn...

:D

Quote: Declan @ January 16 2012, 2:39 PM GMT

Hi Dan

What sort of problems are you having with the formatting? Nobody else has mentioned it so far, but that doesn't mean that they haven't had the same issues.

Glad you like it.

Cheers, Declan

It's kind of all over the place. Anything that is obviously supposed to be columns defaults to a single column, there are blank pages quite frequently, and what looks like blank lines in places (which I assume are to help with exercises) but there is nothing on those pages except for the blank lines. It's the same on the Kindle app on my phone, so I don't think it's a device config thing.

Dan

I've also had problems with the formatting on the ebook, although I assumed it was because I'm reading it on the 'Kindle for PC' thing. I've adjusted the text size/line length so that the lines end in the right places, but the bottom of the pages (with the numbers) refuses to coincide with the bottom of the actual sheets, leaving me with lots of big black lines and page numbers floating about in the middle of the pages, and bits of blank space underneath them.

I've also got the problems with columns that Dan mentions, as there are long lists of things which I think should be organised into categories but just appear underneath each other.

I've already printed mine out though (seems more useful on paper), so not too bothered about fixing it all now.

I'm finding the content useful and interesting so far, anyway.

Cheers guys.

There shouldn't really have been page numbers because we left those off specifically for this formatting reason. It's the same reason why there aren't any page numbers on the contents page.

I'll have a look into it. Glad the content is good. If you like it, please feel free to give us a review on Amazon here (5 stars is the accepted norm at the moment...):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B006QC8DXM/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

And please let us know how to improve it! We welcome suggestions about updating it and what could make it better.

Regarding the ebook, a great read but I'm having similar issues on the kindle app for iPhone: large blank rectangles popping up now and again. Otherwise no problems, it's well worth a read. Also, after the 'Help I've Written a Script' workshop and the many discussions in the bar, I have decided to buy Seinfeld series one. This is hard for me as I've always wanted to punch Jerry Seinfeld in the face.

I would love it if the next best sitcom ever after Seinfeld was one called Punching Seinfeld In The Face.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ January 16 2012, 5:12 PM GMT

I would love it if the next best sitcom ever after Seinfeld was one called Punching Seinfeld In The Face.

Dan

Well there's my Sitcom Mission 2012 submission sorted.