Trollied - Series 1 Page 2

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 2 2011, 12:10 AM BST

The bloody lottery is £1.20 in Waitrose !

Laughing out loud

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 2 2011, 12:10 AM BST

The bloody lottery is £1.20 in Waitrose !

:D

I went off La Horrocks when she was on Who Do You Think You Are - quite revealing that was.

Quote: lofthouse @ July 31 2011, 10:46 PM BST

Yeah, just one episode.

She was quite foxy too!

So thoughtful of them to stamp the initial of Horrocks' surname on her forehead.

The Birthday clip was offal.

A lot of the previews I've read have been very positive, although previews are notoriously unreliable.

Quote: chipolata @ August 3 2011, 9:50 AM BST

A lot of the previews I've read have been very positive, although previews are notoriously unreliable.

What did you think of the clips?

Quote: Charlie Boy @ August 3 2011, 10:38 AM BST

Terrible, terrible, terrible.

Shallow, low-aim, nonsense. Looks like it contains the depth of a lager commercial. Drivel.

I hate this let's paint people from the North West to be a bunch of dimwitted, irony-free - yet ultimately lovable - architects of comic buffoonery.

I blame Peter Kay for creating this "aren't we all stupid and embracingly ignorant in our nostalgic yearning for the simple life" shtick - He is a savvy, shill millionaire having carefully - and deliberately - fashioned this market where stupidity and a lack of ambition/personal development are rewarded with laughter... Ah, those silly flat-capped, pie-eating, cotton millers down north, what are they like, eh?

British comedy and it's enforced arche/sterotypes are going the drain, it's either Southerners behaving twatishly or Northerners behaving like cavepeople.

England needs to move on. In the US, Al Bundy may've been funny in in 1989, but Lary David is funny is 2011, we need to make the same leap.

Quote: Jack Daniels @ August 3 2011, 12:27 PM BST

England needs to move on. In the US, Al Bundy may've been funny in in 1989, but Lary David is funny is 2011, we need to make the same leap.

Who on earth is Al Bundy?

Quote: Charlie Boy @ August 3 2011, 10:38 AM BST

I haven't seen them. In fact I don't know why I'm taking part in this thread as I don't have Sky and won't see it at all.

Quote: chipolata @ August 3 2011, 4:48 PM BST

I haven't seen them. In fact I don't know why I'm taking part in this thread as I don't have Sky and won't see it at all.

Snap!!!

Quote: Chappers @ August 3 2011, 4:43 PM BST

*shakes head* Oh dear.

Don't you know either Aaron?

Quote: Chappers @ August 3 2011, 4:43 PM BST

Sorry, Bundy was a sort of a Cro-Magnon-Homer Simpson in Married With Children, back when the template was to enforce a laughtrack response to every single exhale of breath Roseanne Barr's husband would do or whenever Cheers' Norm would roll his eyes. That sort of humour.

When US TV Drama upped the stakes in production, acting etc with The Sopranos and other HBO backed shows their comedy seemed to follow suit.

I just wish we would do the same with our comedy, I'm not trying to be a shouty forum wiseguy, it just guts me truly as a viewer, and a wannabe, that new opportunities in British broadcasting are wasted on these half-hearted concepts based on unthreatening ideals.

I havent seen this show so I shouldn't judge but I've seen the preview which is meant as "the best bits" to entice an audience, and the tone is simply depresingly off putting and dated, especially since Sky One have a remit to smash the Beeb's/C4's monopoly on TV comedy and trying to forge a brave new identity, and then THIS is the best they can do?

I'm not saying comedy HAS to be an art, nor every script resemble The Thick Of It, but surely it's better to laugh with a chracter, than at.

We need more singular vision shows, where ONE person develops an idea, they always work the strongest, not these, obviously brainstormed writers-meeting products.

Quote: Jack Daniels @ August 3 2011, 8:56 PM BST

We need more singular vision shows, where ONE person develops an idea, they always work the strongest, not these, obviously brainstormed writers-meeting products.

This seems to contradict your earlier assertoin that 'you' Brits should follow the American model???