Seconds Out

Saw first series of this two series sitcom. I really enjoyed it. Robert Lindsay plays a rising boxer. I wondered, to start with, how they were going to get mileage out of the situation - but the first series does so very well, as it is about the development of the boxer's career and also the development of his trainer and manager's careers and their relationships.

Prefered it to Two's Company. Seemed more 'punchy'. Also quite dialogue-heavy but not as much as Two's Company (by the same writer).

Don't know what Series 2 is like, but based on Series 1 I'd say it's a sitcom that should be remembered somewhat better than it is.

I like the classic-style sitcom like this and I'd give it 7.5 - 8 out of 10 - leaning more toward an 8.

I hardly remember it even existing. Never saw it, only the title rings a bell. A bit amazed it starred Robert Lindsay as I thought I'd seen every sitcom/drama with him in, and I loved Citizen Smith, which was just a year or two before. Cannot think why I didn't watch this.

The review on here mentions that it stopped a similar John Sullivan sitcom from airing, making him write a new one, yeah guess which one.

I recall it as being a very solid family sitcom of the sort that the BBC (and to a lesser extent. ITV) used to churn out by the yard in those days. It makes you wonder what went wrong that we ended up with Life Of Riley.

From what I remember, it wasn't very good. They used the 'So You Want To Be A Boxer?' (from the musical Bugsy Malone) as the theme tune. Nuff said really.

Haven't seen this since it originally aired but am I right in recollecting that in the opening titles the Episode number appeared on the sole of a boxer's shoe as he lay in the ring?

You are not, no!

The 'Round' (episode) number appeared over the image of a bell.

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 30 2011, 9:41 AM BST

From what I remember, it wasn't very good. They used the 'So You Want To Be A Boxer?' (from the musical Bugsy Malone) as the theme tune. Nuff said really.

Aaw! I like the theme tune. Got it on the brain. "You might as well quit, if you 'aven't' got it!" Didn't know it came from Bugsy Malone.

I hope this gets a release. Most people probably think Robert Lindsay's only comedies are Get Some In!, Citizen Smith, Nightingales and My Family. Wouldn't mind seeing Give Us A Break get a release too, I remember the theme tune vaguely (was about 5/6 at the time).