The most dated sitcom Page 2

haha how did I anticipate *that*!? I saw Bewitched earlier, too :$ Im a bit of a sucker for those kind of programmes

Quote: zooo @ May 27, 2007, 2:43 PM

Yes Minister, you mean?

I love how similar it is to The Thick of It, only with no swearing.

Yeah, YM and YPM. Never really got into The Thick of It quite as much, but still quite good.

The Thick Of It was my surprise obsession last year.

Anyway, I've gone off topic completely.

What does dated mean here anyway? Any old sitcom looks dated and uses dated language and styles, but Porridge for example is still fantastic.

Do we mean both dated and crap?

Quote: ajp29 @ May 27, 2007, 4:34 AM

I don't date sitcoms so I wouldn't know

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Well I do. I date anything.I once had a date with bread but chucked it after 2 days. Our relationship went stale.

:P

hehe you couldve had a date with a date, also, charlie!?

Quote: charley rance @ May 27, 2007, 5:12 PM

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Well I do. I date anything.I once had a date with bread but chucked it after 2 days. Our relationship went stale.

:P

*Groan!*

;)

I fell in love with Jeannie too.

Isn't The Thick of It a kids show. Thats what Chris Langham always says.

Has he been found guilty yet?

I love 'People Like Us' didn't get on with that Nonce episode though.

Surely the mosted dated sitcom would the furthest set in the past, because they are dated already.

So using that system, the most dated sitcom would be something like "Chelmsford 123".

What about Calendar Girls??????????

Quote: Darren Goldsmith @ May 27, 2007, 5:36 PM

*Groan!*

;)

darren are you Mr bating.

Need some company.

*Fingers at the ready*

Watch out Darren.

I think you'd better explain to Charley that that's not really you and you're a 4 foot tall one legged blind Venusian ... or something.

.....without any genitalia etc.

Quote: Aaron @ May 26, 2007, 11:52 PM

Great question, and a great answer! As someone who tends to particularly like older shows, this is going to be a very hard one for me to answer. My initial reaction was The Young Ones, but you've got me thinking now...

... I think 'The Young Ones' has aged really well, especially when you consider how eighties-based it was and how many times we've seen Rick Mayall do that one charcter since. I have to admit Fawlty Towers isn't as sparkling as it once was, and (okay so it ain't a sitcom) Monty Python's attitude to women is hardly Germaine Greer. Ultimately though I think the answer's anything that came outa ITV in the seventies! (Did anyone see that 'Day Today' spoof? Superb!)

Quote: Ian Wolf @ May 27, 2007, 10:23 PM

Surely the mosted dated sitcom would the furthest set in the past, because they are dated already.

So using that system, the most dated sitcom would be something like "Chelmsford 123".

I disagree. The sitcoms that age the best tend to be period piece sitcoms. For example, Dad's Army and Blackadder have aged magnificently, while shows like Are You Being Served and Rising Damp look distinctly creaky, despite being pretty good.