The most dated sitcom Page 4

VERY good observation about Only Fools and Horses there Badge.

As for dated/good/bad, that's a very interesting point. Something which probably needs its own thread really. But it's probably far too individual I guess. It all relies on whether one did or didn't like the show in the first place, and indeed whether one saw it at original broadcast, or from DVDs or repeats. Too many influencing factors and variables! I don't personally believe that "dated" necessarily equals "bad" though. Hmmmmm.

Quote: Aaron @ February 11, 2008, 10:12 PM

The Mighty Boosh will be as derided as On The Buses is now. Laughing out loud

Already is isn't it? :)

I dunno. By some. But then everything is, 'cos not everyone can like everything. But I mean in general. Even you might wonder why you liked it! :O

(I'd just like to point out - for my own personal safety - that I haven't seen any of series three yet, so am not making personal comment.)

Calendar Girls - or did I say that before?

Rolling eyes

You can see I'm bored cos I've got a block of 11.

I see everyone's got their crystal balls out on this... or at least their balls.

My own personal prediction is that in twenty years' time there will have been a complete re-appraisal of 'Up The Elephant And Round The Castle' and 'Bottle Boys' and Jim Davidson will be be hailed as the original Noel Fielding...

Chef!

Quote: Jolanta Zofia Nowak @ February 11, 2008, 9:36 PM

Anything which deals explicitly with actual current events like Drop the Dead Donkey is bound to date to a certain extent.

Quote: Aaron @ February 11, 2008, 10:12 PM

Have you watched DTDD recently? I'm faaar too young to have seen it originally, but it's still very very funny stuff because there's actually very little reference to specific events at all. Much less than one would imagine!

The really worrying thing is how little Drop the Dead Donkey has dated. You watch it back now you could be excused for thinking it was made this year (if you ignore their rubbish computers and clothes).

Iraq war, MPs taking cash, recession looming, un-popular un-elected Prime Minister, Rock stars doing drugs, fat cat petrol companies... not much has changed!

Who was more unpopular though, Major or Brown?

Although, to be fair, we don't elect a Prime Minister so it's a redundant argument. ;)

I always felt that DTDD was very funny in places and loved loads of the characters - but there were bits that didn't quite flow right. I know it was a sitcom but I can't quite put my finger on why.

Obviously it was very current with news items being included from the week it was shown.

Hi-de-Hi has to be quite dated.
I enjoyed watching it when I was younger, when times were more innocent but seeing it recently made me cringe.
Not only is the subject matter out of date (fewer people have holidays in British holiday camps any more) but the comedy was also sexist, derogatory and at times racist. For pure slapstick it was a good one to watch but now I would suggest people watch it with the sound control on mute.

Quote: Kes83 @ February 20, 2008, 7:41 PM

the comedy was also sexist, derogatory and at times racist.

The best there is! :D

Quote: David Bussell @ February 11, 2008, 3:35 PM

Drop the Dead Donkey is so dated it needs an explanatory introduction when it shows up on cable.

Well any topical show will have that problem. The introduction is to remind you of what the headlines were back then so some of the references don't escape you, but I think the characters are funny in any period, especially Gus!

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 11, 2008, 2:14 PM

For a fairly recent show, I think Only Fools and Horses has dated quite badly. Don't go by memory - watch it again.

Just watched Only Fools and Horses for the first time on BBC Canada, I thought it was really funny but from the one episode I did see the some times racist comments. At one point they ask how come this one African country does not win Olympics and they main character replies with "I'm sure if you put some shrunken heads at the end of the pool they might have a chance". Yikes! Besides that there were a few really funny lines. I was watching the episode where the main character was trying to sell off Doorbells that played 30 different national anthems.