Ronni Ancona Page 4

Quote: Nick Rivers @ May 29, 2007, 4:21 PM

Eh? Doesn't 'aye' mean - 'yup' as in the ali g vernacular

Thank you for showing me the error of my eh's.

I can't believe how many times I've made that mistake, no wonder some of my scripts fell flat. Oh that and because they were shit.

Quote: Nick Rivers @ May 29, 2007, 4:21 PM

You are right though! Chapman - are you drunk !?

No - unfoirtunately. But i did feel that lots of the sketches were good. There was just too much similarity between the characters in the sketches and ... oh I don't know. I'm talking more rubbish than usual and that's without a drink. Unless you count Coke (a Cola).

It's the cache...I don't find her particularly funny. But compared to the comedy nightmare which is Little Miss jocelyn, she's a genius. And so are Ant and Dec. And Les Dennis.

Watch tonight’s episode, Maybe I was in a bad mood but at one point I felt like crying.

why is it only three? do you think they wrote six but the producers thought it wasn't good enough and took the 'best' bits and made it into three?

Quote: David Chapman @ May 28, 2007, 8:35 PM

Thinking about it in retrospect and reading lots of correspondence about it and other shows, Man Stroke Woman should really be a sitcom.

There is no real change in the characters - costumes, make up etc. - so should work as a sitcom - in my opinion.

If you mean what I think you mean - that it'd work by stringing together the jokes/sketches/etc into a constant narrative - then yes. I agree.

Quote: Ed Parnell @ May 30, 2007, 12:30 AM

...But compared to the comedy nightmare which is Little Miss jocelyn, she's a genius. And so are Ant and Dec. And Les Dennis.

And Bob the Builder. And probably even Bo! Selecta, if we're honest.

Yes Aaron. I think I meant something like that.

When I watched some of the second episode, the thing that struck me was that although some of the impressions and characters are accurate, not enough thought has gone into writing any funny situations and lines for them.

In the scene with two teenage girls for example, their behaviour was fairly convincing. Unfortunately that isn't enough on its own to be funny.

I find that with Dead Ringers though. The scripts are more about being smart arse impressionists.

Missed the first episode, but caught last nights. It, well, wasnt very good. In fact I thought it was pretty bad.

Quote: Nick @ May 30, 2007, 8:11 PM

When I watched some of the second episode, the thing that struck me was that although some of the impressions and characters are accurate, not enough thought has gone into writing any funny situations and lines for them.

I find this to be the case in most impressionist's shows. Rory Bremner and Alistair Macgowan both suffer from pretty poor material IMO. Bremner gets away with it because of his topicality and the technical brilliance of his mimicry.

I've never been a fan of hers but I thought I'd be fair and give her a chance by watching the first episode - I thought it was awful. I did smile at the shouty teacher, but those sketches were very predictable. Needless to say I've not bothered tuning in for the others.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ May 30, 2007, 10:05 AM

why is it only three? do you think they wrote six but the producers thought it wasn't good enough and took the 'best' bits and made it into three?

They made too many if they did. About three too many, I'd say.

I think you'll find that was the last one tonight Chi.

Still worth half an hour of looking at Ronni than BB or some other crap.

I couldn't help but feel that a lot of her material had been 'inspired' by Catherine Tate... the texting teenagers had something Lauren about them; Tate had a number of classroom sketches in which the pupils back-chatted the teacher and the old women was a not-too-different rude Nan.

It was poor stuff. And it needed so many writers to make it that poor.