The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 131

Quote: JohnnyD @ June 17 2011, 6:10 PM BST

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/post/608715/

I like your taste, especially since I wrote that particular one!

Now where were you all?

Looking forward to seeing the final two candidates unveiled - any chance of the details?

I have a feeling 'The Box' is football-related, having seen Russel Obeney's 'Candy' in the Union Theatre's 'Short and Sweet', but I'm looking forward to finding out what 'What Next?' entails. My guess is either 'following the break up of a relationship...' or 'following losing a job to the recession...'

Details should be up very soon.

We did actually send out a blog email to all 1200+ writers who entered telling them about the shows, and so far there's been little to no response

Declan, I've never once received any of these "blog emails" you've been sending out. (What's a blog email when it's at home anyway?)
So it's possible that lots of other writers didn't either, hence a poor response.
(BTW, I have NO silly spam settings that discard mail)

I got 'em

Sorry to butt into the neighbouring thread, but just a quick reminder that you're invited to read, review & vote on the scripts in contention for the Sitcom Trials Manchester. https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/20632/9/

One more day to have your say. 43 scripts in contention, at least 4 will be performed. A one in 10 chance of being staged, aren't you glad you entered The Sitcom Trials?

Kev F Sutherland
Executive Producer
The Sitcom Trials http://sitcomtrials.co.uk

Just to let you know, one of this Monday's Sitcom Mission sitcoms, What Next? is being directed by the National Theatre's Cal McCrystal. There's an article from the Guardian about him here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/theatreblog/2011/jun/08/celebrate-comic-theatre-unsung-heroes

And it's starring Carla Mendonca, who's been in loads of sitcoms and was the mum in My Parents Are Aliens.

And we're also showcasing The Box, directed by the incredibly talented Ben de Wynter. You can find more about him here:

http://www.regandewynter.com/#/ben-de-wynter/4529898602

And we've also got:

Max and Ivan: "Monsters of sketch comedy" "Superbly oiled dialogue mashers... awesome singers... great rappers.". Time Out Critic's Choice; Five stars: Broadway Baby; Four stars: British Theatre Guide, Three Weeks.

Bob and Jim: "Brilliantly funny, a great show from two loveable characters. The best comedy around today - sure to go far."

And improv from:

Fingers on Buzzards. 'A bit of a find' Remotegoat.

We very much hope to see you there.

Cheers, Declan and Simon

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ June 24 2011, 6:12 PM BST

Declan, I've never once received any of these "blog emails" you've been sending out. (What's a blog email when it's at home anyway?)
So it's possible that lots of other writers didn't either, hence a poor response.
(BTW, I have NO silly spam settings that discard mail)

Me no get 'em either. And I get all kinds of crap.

Cal McCrystal is an incredibly funny guy, he directed three of our stage shows in the past. Well done for securing his services for SCM, I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome on Monday!

I just today listened to the script reading/ reviewing CD, which arrived Friday.

I can't recommend it enough. Not only is the experience of hearing your writing being read amazing, but the help and advice given is unbelievably helpful. Thanks.

Good luck to Abigail and Emma and everyone involved with 'What Next?'

No one else seems to be saying much of any consequence on here these days so let's see if I can generate some response with the following report.

I have been to all four Sitcom Mission nights at The New Diorama so far and heard the lovely compere, Jess, do the same jokes four times (although we missed out on her cow impersonation last night). This was certainly a lesson in how to deliver well-rehearsed lines as if you have just that moment thought of them and I did laugh at some of her jokes more than once. My favourite has to be the two-liner about the horse and the unicorn although I can't, of course, tell you the punchline for copyright reasons. I have also seen some quite good and some pretty ropey Edinburgh sketch and improv previews by various double-acts and troupes, which were part of the weekly package, plus performances of ALL EIGHT of the Sitcom Mission final selection!

I spoke briefly to a couple of the successful writers and last night, I had a chat with Declan and Simon, or was it Simon and Declan? I still have trouble remembering which is which (but apparently so do they!). They thanked me for travelling all the way from Cambridge four times specially (well, one of them did, but I'm not sure which one). So now they know who I am, which might just give me a tiny advantage in getting my script noticed next year. Of course, that was (not?) my agenda!

In my opinion, there is one clear winner and that was last night's 'What Next' by Abigail Dooley and Emma Edwards, which was the only one of the eight that really made me laugh out loud very much. This may be partly because the writers are mature women, like myself, and so this was the one that came closest to my own sense of humour and style of writing.

I also felt this was the one which got the best response from the audience, which may be partly because the writers had plenty of (mainly) female friends there to support them, who appreciated their type of comedy. There's a lot more to this game than being able to write a good script; you also have to be able to market yourself and this starts with getting your friends on board. Whether there is voting involved or not, just a few strong supporters can start a ripple of laughter and appreciation that is infectious and from that, your reputation can spread.

If the audience is not the right demographic for your writing, that can be very disappointing but it is as much in your power as anyone else's to influence that.

I would love to know what others who have attended any of the shows so far have to say and whether they agree or disagree with my views.

All the best

Julia

PS I didn't mean to imply that recent posts have been of little or no consequence, only that they have been a bit sparse and not much has been said about the performances by people wo have actually been there.

PPS I meant that I travelled 4 times, not that they thanked me 4 times. That would be ridiculously over-effusive and I wouldn't accuse them of that!

Having seen all eight, but also having written one of them, I'm slightly hamstrung in my ability to comment ;)

I'd definitely agree that having a bank of people in the audience onside does help the overall reception of the piece - sometimes you need to convince those who aren't your natural audience that yes, it's fine to laugh at this sort of thing.