Reggie Perrin - Series 2 Page 3

Maybe it's just me but I'm loving this show. Clunes is one of our finest comic actors. I get the impression it's not univerally loved though.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ November 1 2010, 9:52 AM BST

Maybe it's just me but I'm loving this show. Clunes is one of our finest comic actors. I get the impression it's not univerally loved though.

Great acting, but I just don't think there's enough jokes in each episode.

There is a different style to the original. Shame they didn't just come up with something new set in an office.

Quote: Chappers @ November 2 2010, 1:57 AM BST

There is a different style to the original. Shame they didn't just come up with something new set in an office.

If you re-named the characters, and Reggie didn't go to the beach, it'd be interesting if anyone could still spot a link with the original. They are now quite different sitcoms I think.

Apart from him changing the company to Grot.

Quote: Mark @ November 2 2010, 2:03 AM BST

If you re-named the characters, and Reggie didn't go to the beach, it'd be interesting if anyone could still spot a link with the original. They are now quite different sitcoms I think.

They ought to have just changed the names so they wouldn't have any comparisons with the orginal. The plot has veered significantly away from the original and it's not like the first series needed the recognition of being a reamke of Reggie Perrin, especailly with the great cast to attract viewers.

I get the feeling it's just too warm and cosy for today's viewing public. It's very likable but not enough sharp gags. Perhaps if this was made in 1985 it would have been a bigger success.

(Is this the wrong time to point out that David Nobbs' Reggie Perrin novellas were actually better than his original TV series anyway...?)

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 2 2010, 4:50 AM BST

(Is this the wrong time to point out that David Nobbs' Reggie Perrin novellas were actually better than his original TV series anyway...?)

Not at all, David Nobbs says that he usually experiments more in his novel writing than he does in his sitcoms/comedy dramas.

(Source: autobiography)

Quote: dennispennis123 @ November 2 2010, 4:38 AM BST

They ought to have just changed the names so they wouldn't have any comparisons with the orginal. The plot has veered significantly away from the original and it's not like the first series needed the recognition of being a reamke of Reggie Perrin, especailly with the great cast to attract viewers.

I get the feeling it's just too warm and cosy for today's viewing public. It's very likable but not enough sharp gags. Perhaps if this was made in 1985 it would have been a bigger success.

I think it's not "warm and cosy" enough. There's a certain unsettled brashness to it that stops me from really falling in love with the show.

I'd also quite disagree that the plot has veered "significantly" from the original TV adaptation. You've got all the key elements in place, it's just setting them up in a slightly different - and slower - order.