Reggie Perrin - Series 2

Series 2, starting tonight, BBC One, 9.30pm.

Seem to recall Series 1 being pretty entertaining without actually being great, as such. Hopefully it'll pick up with Series 2. I mean, Clunesy wouldn't do any old tosh now, would he?

I'm looking forward to it. I enjoyed the first series, and from the ads, it looks like this might be even better.

I do like a bit of Clunes. He even makes that Doc Martin thing quite watchable. He's nicely grumpy.

Yeah, he's always very likeable onscreen.

I've read in interviews that he thinks this series is a lot better then the first. He seemed a little critical of the first.

I saw the second episode of this series being recorded and I thought it was pretty good. I loved the way Martin Clunes deliberately messed a scene up if he thought that it would be funnier :D

I've only recently got into this show after discovering that Neil Stuke ("Game On" series two & three) was in it. I never did enjoy his version of Matthew Malone in "Game On" as much as Ben Chaplin's, but he was still pretty good and it's nice to see he plays a vaguely similar character in this.

And yes, Clunes is always good. Looking forward to the new series.

Quote: Joey Moose @ October 14 2010, 3:31 PM BST

I never did enjoy his version of Matthew Malone in "Game On" as much as Ben Chaplin's,

Snap.
Not really his fault though, and he's good in Perrin.

I thought I'd hate the first series as it's not my type of thing at all but I really got into it. Looking forward to tonight!

Caught the episode where he imagines running up behind his boss in a Terminator-like fashion and snapping his neck. Brilliant!

Only caught some of this. A bit clunky but inoffensive enough. And toby-jug-head Clunes is always good value.

I enjoyed it. It's easy watching.

Hardly surprising, but I think I preferred the old series.

But in this case, it's not just Leonard Rossiter, Reggie has to go and find himself, if he just returns to suburbia immediately, where's the apparent breakdown? It may seem to an outsider like he could just return to his desk job.

Quote: Tim Azure @ October 15 2010, 9:44 AM BST

Hardly surprising, but I think I preferred the old series.

But in this case, it's not just Leonard Rossiter, Reggie has to go and find himself, if he just returns to suburbia immediately, where's the apparent breakdown? It may seem to an outsider like he could just return to his desk job.

It doesn't have to be a direct remake of the original. The makers of this series have gone down a different story route.

I enjoyed it. Obviously it'll always be compared to The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin, and often will suffer, but it does have a charm and appeal of its own, I think. I would have expected a higher laugh count I must admit, but that's not to say that it was in any way bad or unenjoyable: on the contrary, it's wonderful to have a nice, gentle studio sitcom back on our screens again. I just wish it was scheduled on Fridays, not Thursdays.