Asking for production companies to read script

Hi,

I have written my first script and have been advised to write a one page letter to a number of suitable production companies asking them if I could send my first episode. Included in the letter would just be a paragraph about me, a synopsis paragraph, and my contact details

I have sent this type of letter to 2 production companies that do not accept unsolicited scripts asking them IF I could send my script, after a few days I got an email reply from each to say "sorry we don't accept unsolicited scripts", I knew that already which is why I sent a letter asking for permission to send a script.

My questions are:
1) What advice do you guys have for writing a good cover letter? What content is needed?

2) Advice on writing a good synopsis?

3) I am worried if I keep sending this type of letter I'm going to get the same response, perhaps it's because my synopsis isn't good enough, or am I taking the wrong approach?

Thanks for your help.

Hmm I think if a compnay doesn't take unsolicited scripts it doesn't take unsolicited scripts.

My advice is as follows.

1 Build a reputation, get stuff read at writing groups like London Comedy Writers etc.
2 Enter every competition available, there are a few. Inlcuding ones for sketch etc. Even if you don't win you're in a much stronger position to send stuff to people involved (worked for me)
3 Search for people who read unsolicited scripts there are a few.
4 Write to producers etc who's work you like.

Just getting your scripts read is a struggle. And then that's only the first step.

And make sure when you get a chance to get it read your script is good enough (because right now it probably isn't).

No one is sitting around waiting for your script you have to make your own opportunities.

First, if you want advice on letters and synopsis, why not post them up here?
More importantly - as has already been said - make sure the script is good enough - seek opinions from every quarter before you throw it to the lions.
Again, posting a couple of pages in 'Critique' would be a start.
But be aware of the the golden rule that the first thing you write is nearly always shit.

But in the end, you need 'something' to get your stuff to float to the surface (there's a lot of shit out there).
Soots has already given you a few - make a YouTube pilot, enter every competition you can, work on the old six degrees of seperation (a friend of a friend of a freind WILL know someone who works in the business).
So that, on that wondeful day when you catch a ProdCo reader in a good mood, you've done everything you can to give yourself a decent break.

And keep at it - I firmly beleive that people who really want to do this (millions) and can do this (hundreds) end up doing it.

Lazzard and Soots are knowing their onions.

Oooh er!

Mind you Olly you may want to check out the stuff Bussell's done in terms of promotion. Especially Missing Scene and Yobi.

Butthat's quite enough of admiring each others dicks.

It's difficult enough at the moment to get production companies to read solicited scripts, so - sadly - I don't think you'll find any cunning loopholes to getting an unwelcome unsolicited script read. As is often mentioned, the way to circumnavigate this obstacle (bar securing an agent) is to use other comedy/writing avenues as a way to build contacts, who can move your script to those with some degree of influence. Best of luck.

Just to weigh in on the unsolicited scripts front. Yes, if a company says they don't read unsolicited scripts, it means that they don't read unsolicited scripts.

Badgering them head on will just make it look like you either didn't do basic research, didn't pay attention to what you found out, or think that for some reason the rules don't apply to you. None of these are a good first impression to give a production company.

In terms of a synopsis - keep it brief and to the point, if you need to explain anything in the script then you need to do more work on the script, not the synopsis. Don't try to be jokey or matey in it, not even to 'give a tone' of the script. Certainly don't write it in character. You're a professional, pitching a professional product. Where is your script set, who are your main characters (names, occupations, tempraments, whatever is relevant to the comedy mechanics of the script), what is the tone of the piece.

Crucially, what is the central theme/location/character/gimmick that makes this script unique? If you don't have one, either a) rewrite the script so that it does, or b) lie. They'll find out soon enough, but at least they might get as far as reading it!

I wonder if "olly" felt like the above replies were helpful...or maybe that some people just can't resist being smart arses?.

You tell us 'Rwayne'.

The thing is, some production companies will read stuff even if they say they don't If you hit the right producer at the right moment, they might well agree to you sending your masterpiece to them for a look. Doesn't hurt to try, you might get lucky.

Butthat's the producer not the company

individuals aren't institutions

Yeh individuals have read my stuff, but usually after I tried an open competition etc

Quote: sootyj @ September 29 2010, 1:55 PM BST

Butthat's the producer not the company

Yeah, but producers work at production companies, that's who you're trying to get your stuff read by, so if you can find a way of contacting one direct rather than sending generally to the prod company, they may be more amenable to looking at your work. If you don't try and you don't ask then you definitely don't get.

It might appear,to some people,that the desire of some of you 'old hands' to genuinely help new writers may be stronger in some than others!.
Perhaps,though,I am just being cynical.

Quote: rwayne @ September 29 2010, 2:51 PM BST

It might appear,to some people,that the desire of some of you 'old hands' to genuinely help new writers may be stronger in some than others!.
Perhaps,though,I am just being cynical.

I can't see anything in the above posts from the 'old hands' that is particularly unhelpful. So yes, perhaps you are a little cynical!

We all try to help each other and other than the occaisonal troll no one is trying to put anyone off.

It's just the process is slow and difficult so helpful advice is often quite dispiriting.

The most positive advice I can give is. Write because you want to, write because you enjoy it and want to share.

The rest will sort it's self out.