Asking for production companies to read script Page 2

The original question is a good one.Many people (including me) will not be clear on what the process of contacting someone,with a view to having you work read,is.
Now...I don't think I said anyone has tried to be 'unhelpful',but to say such as " I think if a company doesn't take unsolicited scripts it doesn't take unsolicited scripts" is hardly helpful either.I'm sure "Olly" can read...clearly (as everyone knows) the point of the question was to ask if that first letter is the common approach.
It's fair enough to point out what someone is doing 'wrong'...the helpful bit would be saying how to do it right.

There were quite a few suggestions, surely? Unfortunately, there are no absolutes here and large elements of chance that don't neccessarily lend themselves to useful analysis.

The thing about a Catch 22 situation is that it is well it's a Catch 22 situation. Pretty much all you can do is in the advice above. All unsolicited scripts mean is something sent in blind. Which wil be added to what is called the 'slush pile' Some companies don't have slush piles and hence don't accept unsolicited scripts. So you have to have a more personalised approach, as suggested above. A solcited script doesn't mean commissioned, it means someone says go on then send it in and I'll have a squizz. A letter can make that happen, so can a pint, a chat or a shag of the person you want to read it's PA - male or female. Ask Michael Jacob, for example, why his PA is always thrusting them into his hand.

Thank you...but the original question,I think,was more is it acceptable to write and ask if you can send one.The answer to that is not clear,in itself,in the phrase "does not accept unsolicited scripts"...I'm sure everyone knows what THAT means...but sending a letter isn't the same as sending in a script.
Anyway...didn't mean to offend anyone by my previous comments.Though I stand by them.
;)

Quote: john lucas 101 @ September 29 2010, 3:21 PM BST

There were quite a few suggestions, surely? Unfortunately, there are no absolutes here and large elements of chance that don't neccessarily lend themselves to useful analysis.

A very pretty and beautifully worded post but doesn't really mean anything does it?.

Hi Olly. If it is your first script I would put it straight in the bin to save time. Start writing a new one and when you've done that bin it too. When you've got a full bin and hair on your balls give one of your scripts to a friend to read. Tell them you co wrote it and you would like them to be honest about what works. If they think you co-wrote it they will be more critical.

After that bin it and start again.

That or go to Oxford get into the footlights and fellate Stephen Fry.

It's how Cameron got to be PM.

Quote: sootyj @ September 29 2010, 5:03 PM BST

That or go to Oxford get into the footlights .

(Cambridge!)

You don't expect me to give all the answers do you?

Quote: rwayne @ September 29 2010, 4:35 PM BST

A very pretty and beautifully worded post but doesn't really mean anything does it?.

Meaning, surely, exists in the eye of the beholder.

Also, I'm sure Olly can speak for himself. You never kknow, he might actually have found some of the above useful.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ September 29 2010, 5:33 PM BST

Meaning, surely, exists in the eye of the beholder.

Also, I'm sure Olly can speak for himself. You never kknow, he might actually have found some of the above useful.

That's sweet.

Quote: rwayne @ September 29 2010, 3:10 PM BST

It's fair enough to point out what someone is doing 'wrong'...the helpful bit would be saying how to do it right.

You really need to start putting spaces after commas and full stops.

Really?.

Quote: rwayne @ September 29 2010, 5:37 PM BST

That's sweet.

Doesn't really matter that it's sweet, does it? Just that it may or not be accurate.

I just thought it was sweet.Nothing more,nothing less.