The Rob Brydon Show - Series 1 Page 4

Quote: Tony Cowards @ September 29 2010, 4:19 PM BST

I was making a more general point, but I must admit that I find it interesting that you've dismissed an act and said that she should "give up" (whilst pretty much dismissing the entire genre of musical comedy) when you now admit to not watching her 5 minute section of the show.

Putting words in my mouth there, Tony. I never suggested that she should 'give up'. I would never do that to anybody. It's rather poor form to extrapolate that from something else I've said in order to try and enforce your point.

And yes, maybe it's a little naughty of me to not have bothered watching the whole 5 minutes, but her first minute put me right off. My instincts are usually spot on. At least for my benefit.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ September 29 2010, 9:45 AM BST

Re: Comedy songs. Anybody wanting to do comic songs should listen to the collected output of Python, Not the Nine O'Clock, and Half Man Half Biscuit. If you think you can match the genius and class of those, carry on. If not, smash your f**king guitar/piano/etc and do some buggering off.

Okay so I paraphrased "If you think you can match the genius and class of those, carry on. If not, smash your f**king guitar/piano/etc and do some buggering off." as "telling them to give up", apologies.

Think Brydon is very entertaining, but as someone earlier said, this show does have the feel of being a stage for him and a couple of friends. The comedian on the first week was good, the one this week was horrific. But the show has potential

Surely any show is a stage for the host? Even though it's a chat show. I'm guessing in this case Rob came before the idea. Although I know since Wossy they're looking for a replacement.

I think they've already announced that they're moving and promoting The Graham Norton Show in place of Jonathan Ross.

Maybe he's a backup?

Norton filling Wossy's slot?

He's filling his Saturday morning radio slot already.

Really enjoying this, even if it is, still, a bit showbiz chummy. And, somewhat counter-intuitively, enjoyed the young comic, Daniel Sloss. (19=bastard!)

This'll doubtless get a boost to Beeb 1 and a longer slot.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ October 4 2010, 11:03 AM BST

This'll doubtless get a boost to Beeb 1 and a longer slot.

With last week's programme getting 0.7m viewers, it really won't.

Quote: Damn His Duckpond @ October 4 2010, 7:56 PM BST

With last week's programme getting 0.7m viewers, it really won't.

You say that, but Graham Norton's show didn't get that many viewers when it was on Beeb 2.

Found Brydon's show a bit uncomfortable, seems to be anything Welsh or Gavin & Stacey at the moment. Dont think he's a chat show host yet.

Can anyone identify the exact point when Rob Brydon - the very talented writer and comic actor in shows Marion and Geoff and Human Remains - decided to jack-in humour with any kind of subtlety and depth, to become a rather creepy parody of his own celebrity persona? Which is all-the-more bizarre because he never actually had a celebrity persona to begin with? On shows such as this, Would I Lie To You? & Annually Retentive he has knowingly poked fun at a public image which exists, one suspects, only in his own mind.

Erm... Errr

I'm too confused to be able to explain myself any more clearly than I have above, but it's just that something... Well, something went weird somewhere along the line with Rob Brydon... Either by accident or design, he seems to have made a conscious decision to assert a comic persona since he became famous. Problem is, he was never really that famous when he started to do this. He (whispers) really isn't that famous now.

If I was being disingenuous (which fortunately I never am), I might suggest that he's trying to deliberately nurture this whimsical, buffoonish "act" to bolster the view of himself as a serious, mysterious, multi-layered person "behind the greasepaint". (As mates with Steve Coogan, who also seems to have attended 'The Peter Sellers School For Taking Yourself Very Seriously', it might be that something has rubbed-off on him that way.)

Part of the point of this confusion is that I feel this kind of show is a waste of his potentially great talent.

*goes away to lie in a darkened room, brain throbbing from trying to untangle torturous mental spaghetti*

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 15 2010, 11:56 PM BST

Can anyone identify the exact point when Rob Brydon - /../ - decided to /../ become a rather creepy parody of his own celebrity persona? Which is all-the-more bizarre because he never actually had a celebrity persona to begin with? On shows such as this, Would I Lie To You? & Annually Retentive he has knowingly poked fun at a public image which exists, one suspects, only in his own mind.

I remember an interview with him where he lamented the public's confusion between him and 'another' comedian, Keith Barret. Of course, he was only joking, but perhaps it all points at some sort of deep-rooted psychological condition?

On an unrelated point, why is this in the 'Satire & Panel Shows' section, rather than the 'People & Stand Up'/'General Comedy' bits? It's not satirical and unless you're using the word "panel" in the American chat show sense of the word - in which case shame on you - it's not a panel show.

Good point Tim - now moved. Love, Mark