Life's Too Short Page 28

I don't see how it's invisible, unless you are willfully missing it. It is blindingly obvious that the scene where he was put in a bin was written to be funny (whether it actually WAS funny or not) because Helena Bonham Carter was being such a massive twat, not because putting dwarfs in bins is hilarious and we should all do it.

I've already said that this is his worst project so far, surely if my views were his views I'd be saying it was brilliant.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 4 2011, 12:34 PM GMT

It isn't in any way. There are a few jokes that depend on Brent's bulk or appearance - but not many.

That's kind of my point. In that similarly, I don't think all the jokes in this are about his being a dwarf.

It's strange, the main talking point has become whether it's offensive or not, whether it's in bad taste or not. And like they say, bad publicity is good publicity. The show's got hype around it, has got people talking about it, has got an audience. In my opinion it's not offensive at all, it's just not very good.

I think saying it's rubbish, or hasn't worked is a completely fair criticism. But I don't think that saying it's mocking dwarfs and saying 'ooh aren't they weird and funny little things' is at all fair.

But everyone seems to have a vastly different perception of it, so we're never going to agree.

Quote: zooo @ December 4 2011, 1:43 PM GMT

I think saying it's rubbish, or hasn't worked is a completely fair criticism. But I don't think that saying it's mocking dwarfs and saying 'ooh aren't they weird and funny little things' is at all fair.

But everyone seems to have a vastly different perception of it, so we're never going to agree.

Is anyone actually saying that though, all I seem to be reading in newspapers and the like is people have imaginary arguments with people who are saying 'aren't dwarfs funny.' The people that like it seem to like the celebrity appearances, the physical comedy of Warwick Davis, who's a very good comedy actor, or the pompous nature of Warwick's character. I don't know anyone who is just laughng at the fact that he's a dwarf.

Quote: Hyde150 @ December 4 2011, 2:06 PM GMT

Is anyone actually saying that though

Have you read this thread...? :)

Well, that people are finding it offensive is by its very nature proof that they don't find it funny. For if they found it funny, they a) wouldn't be bothered by any perceived offence, and b) would be extremely likely to see beyond any reason to take offence, and perceive it on the level that Gervais would no doubt claim it is meant to be taken.

I.e. that, taking the bin scene as an example, whilst there is a certain level of humour in seeing someone's head sticking out of a bin, that's because of the ridiculousness of the situation, and specifically in this case the pompous nature of the character and how he got himself into that situation, rather than because he's a dwarf. You could have a normal sized person crouching in a bin (ok, probably a square council-owned type one rather than round, but nevertheless...) and it would look equally bizarre and humourous.

I had another "Oh f**k off" moment watching the latest episode.

It came when somebody made a crack about Extras being all about the celebrity cameos and Gervais and Merchant paused for a second. There may have even been a slight glance to camera.

I turned it off and will never watch it again.

Quote: zooo @ December 4 2011, 12:44 PM GMT

It is blindingly obvious that the scene where he was put in a bin was written to be funny (whether it actually WAS funny or not) because Helena Bonham Carter was being such a massive twat, not because putting dwarfs in bins is hilarious and we should all do it.

Probably a hard character trait to keep up...

putting dwarfs in bins is hilarious and we should all do it.

You should be ashamed.

:D

The bin was quite funny and the joke was the starlettes divaish insanity and Warwich being taken down a peg or two.
It was maybe a little unoriginal. But yeh it was ok.

I don't see how it's invisible, unless you are willfully missing it. It is blindingly obvious that the scene where he was put in a bin was written to be funny (whether it actually WAS funny or not) because Helena Bonham Carter was being such a massive twat, not because putting dwarfs in bins is hilarious and we should all do it.

I've already said that this is his worst project so far, surely if my views were his views I'd be saying it was brilliant.

That's kind of my point. In that similarly, I don't think all the jokes in this are about his being a dwarf.

I'm sure Ricky knows it's his worst so far, but he can't very well say that when it hasn't even finished in the UK, nevermind America or Australia, and then the inevitable DVD. I'm sure once the DVD sales have tailed off, if it then gets recommissioned he'll admit it could have been better and will take the valid criticism on board when writing the 2nd series.

At least you'd hope he'd take the valid criticism on board if there's a 2nd series. I for one think Warwick and the show deserve a 2nd chance.

Quote: Nogget @ December 4 2011, 5:08 PM GMT

You should be ashamed.

You got my hopes up that she'd really said that for a moment there!

Quote: Vader @ December 4 2011, 7:33 PM GMT

I'm sure Ricky knows it's his worst so far, but he can't very well say that when it hasn't even finished in theUK, nevermind America or Australia, and then the inevitable DVD. I'm sure once the DVD sales have tailed off, if it then gts recommissioned he'll admit it could have been better and will take the valid criticism on board when writing the 2nd series.

I do believe I agree. (Although just with the first bit, not that there will be a second series.)

You got my hopes up that she'd really said that for a moment there!

Ha!

Quote: Aaron @ December 4 2011, 2:36 PM GMT

You could have a normal sized person crouching in a bin ... and it would look equally bizarre and humourous.

That's simply not true. Visually - and we are talking sight gags and slapstick here - a midget in a bin will always look more bizarre and humourous than a normal sized person in the same situation.

I'm afraid you'll find the level of hilarity of dwarfs or ordinary sized people in bins is subjective.