Frasier

Any fans of Frasier here?

Totally. Frasier was an excellent comedy, much better than anyone dared hope following cheers. I was quite young when it first came out (possibly an early teen) and it was kind of a guilty pleasure. It wasn't cool to like it, but I secretly did. Then when everyone grew up everyone admited to loving it.

Didn't like daphnes brother though that was from "manchester". I've never seen anyone eating jellied eels in manchester.

I was a big fan of Frasier, especially the first couple of series, but it went downhill when they paired up Daphnee and Niles. I thought that was the moment the show jumped the shark.

I watch it on Paramount and used to on Channel 4. I agree about the first couple of series but i do kind of think it got better near the end.

I thought Niles was always great and I loved that dog (Eddie) though. It's a shame he died.

Love Frasier. Still watch it in the mornings on 4 before I go to work. Keep finding ones that I have never seen.

I love this show. I even watched some Cheers later on, only to find that... uhmm... it's not exactly the same thing ;) same league even. Same universe, if you like it.
Funnily enough, it's the Niles character and his (non-)relationship with Daphne and Maris, that pretty much stole the show for me.

There were some episodes and even on-going themes that I didn't care for (it seems he has dated most Seattle women and got dumped with some idiotic excuse), but on the whole it was joyride.

Oh, you must know it. I've read somewhere that Jane Leeves' accent is very fake Manchestrian... And someone said that her brothers all had different accents altogether.
If so, I find it weird that such thing has been overlooked...

I think Frasier was one of the best ever US imports. So sharp and funny, but also very British in that is has lots of comic farce - you know, people running in and out of doorways, coming in the room at the wrong moment, overhearing something they shouldn't and getting it wrong. It could have been really corny but they just about managed to pull it off every week.

Niles and Daphne always stole the show. What ruined it for me was bringing Daphne's mother and brother into it. Not only were they unfunny but really unlikeable. I often left the room when they were on.

Quote: WrongTale @ November 6, 2006, 7:57 PM

Oh, you must know it. I've read somewhere that Jane Leeves' accent is very fake Manchestrian... And someone said that her brothers all had different accents altogether.
If so, I find it weird that such thing has been overlooked...

She's not from Manchester, so it was put-on, but her Mancunian was actually pretty good. Her brothers though, that's a different story...

Probably overlooked in America coz all UK accents sound alike to them. But inexcusable for us Brits to miss.

I loved Frasier. Series 1-4 on dvd and all great. Waiting for Series 5.

At first i hated the female radio boss in series 3 but on a rewatch was wowwed by her fantastic understated overkill (if that makes sense). When she utters the line "So considerate of you and yet at the same time so full of yourself" (paraphrased) - brilliantly spoken.

I've been a big fan of Frasier since the show started airing here, back in the days when Roseanne, Penn and Teller and Home Improvement were staples of Channel 4's Friday night schedule (ah, memories). The DVD releases have sadly been a bit erratic, but Paramount seems to repeat it on a loop which is handy. I think Niles Crane is one of the best sitcom characters created in recent years, and his references to the unseen Maris are hilarious. One of my favourite episodes is The Matchmaker from season 2, when Frasier invites his boss to dinner to meet Daphne, unaware that he himself is the object of the boss's affections. Niles shows up and is abrupt towards the boss. At the end, after Frasier has clarified why he invited the boss to dinner, the boss asks if Niles is gay.
Boss: "So this Maris guy he kept mentioning is a woman?"
Frasier: "Well, the jury's still out on that one!" :D

Totally loved Cheers and Fraiser, Ted is a great actor. He had a new show on and it lasted two weeks and has been pulled..Why, who knows over here,,Valentine

WRONG!!!! we can tell the difference in the accents.. I love hearing the cockney accent if that is what Del Boy is using..The formal English is great too if you like the deeper stories,,Valentine

If I had to have a favourite sitcom it would be Frasier. Never afraid to go for a laugh. Even puns, which I hate, but which made me laugh; slapstick - Niles pressing his trousers, scorching them, running with scissors; and as mentioned, the farce although I think that's more French than British.
The brothers with different accents I always thought was part of the joke. Robbie Coltrane was one. I too disliked the drunk brother but in retrospect it was well acted.

David hyde pierce, who plays niles occasionally does stand-up now, he performed at the just for laughs in mopntreal along with stars like dave chappelle, tim allen, Lee evans, Omid Djalalili, wanda sykes and dylan moran, but he used fraiser to get his laughs, but i loved fraiser until later series, but the first few were good,
(new sig time again)

I think that Frasier went through 4 stages. The first 4 series are probably the best but series 5-7 were still very good. The showrunnners left then however and series 8-10 are best avoided. They then pulled out all the stops for series 11 and I think it worked. It proved a fitting end for the show.

I agree that Niles stole the show and favourite episodes include Moondance, Mixed Doubles and Ham Radio.

I agree that the quality of the show dipped in the middle seasons (around the time Frasier temporarily lost his job at the radio station and became unemployed) but it did come back strongly at the end. I'd also agree that the DVD releases seem very eratic. We got the first four series then they just stopped releasing them. I hate it when that happens.