Alan Partridge Online Episodes - Good or Bad Idea? Page 2

If not for online, us offshore/overseas types would be shut out. Mind, the new iPlayer is reputed to be crap.

Quote: David Bussell @ September 3 2010, 10:24 AM BST

Who these days can guarantee being in the same place at the same time every week for a TV show?

Most people I think. Unless they're out doing all these modern things like speed dating.

Anyway, let's hope this has some decent writers behind it.

There's still going to be a movie, isn't there? So this 'series' will just end up as an extra on that DVD.

Quote: Ben @ September 6 2010, 9:54 PM BST

Most people I think. Unless they're out doing all these modern things like speed dating.

Anyway, let's hope this has some decent writers behind it.

Well, hopefully it'll have the same writers as usual!

Quote: chipolata @ September 6 2010, 9:55 PM BST

There's still going to be a movie, isn't there? So this 'series' will just end up as an extra on that DVD.

We'll see, it'll no doubt come out around the same time as the definitely happening Arrested Development movie.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 6 2010, 9:56 PM BST

Well, hopefully it'll have the same writers as usual!

And hopefully not the people behind the last Coogan tour.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 6 2010, 9:56 PM BST

Well, hopefully it'll have the same writers as usual! We'll see, it'll no doubt come out around the same time as the definitely happening Arrested Development movie.

I remember Coogan saying in an interview years ago that if none of his other characters were successful he'd end up doing Partridge forever. So that probably answers if they'll be a film or not.

Quote: Will Cam @ August 31 2010, 5:16 PM BST

Mixed feelings on this as I like my comedy on TV not online.

Absolutely, same here.

However, there might be some good news regarding that. If the following quote from website "Twitch Film" is to be believed, the online episodes are to be merged in some shape or form to create a full length episode which will be broadcast on TV:

http://twitchfilm.net/news/2010/10/steve-coogan-bringing-back-alan-partridge.php

"A feature has been hung up in development for years now but you just can't keep this guy down. According to Deadline Coogan is now shooting a twelve part webseries commissioned by Fosters (yes, the Australian beer company), with each episode running eleven minutes and structured as though they were shot by a webcam mounted in Alan Partridge's Radio Norwich studio. The web series will begin to stream in November with plans then to cut the web series into something more conventional for television broadcast."

Quote: Joey Moose @ October 7 2010, 4:33 PM BST

Absolutely, same here.

However, there might be some good news regarding that. If the following quote from website "Twitch Film" is to be believed, the online episodes are to be merged in some shape or form to create a full length episode which will be broadcast on TV:

http://twitchfilm.net/news/2010/10/steve-coogan-bringing-back-alan-partridge.php

"A feature has been hung up in development for years now but you just can't keep this guy down. According to Deadline Coogan is now shooting a twelve part webseries commissioned by Fosters (yes, the Australian beer company), with each episode running eleven minutes and structured as though they were shot by a webcam mounted in Alan Partridge's Radio Norwich studio. The web series will begin to stream in November with plans then to cut the web series into something more conventional for television broadcast."

That news actually worries me more. The track record isn't great for shows that are stitched together to make longer form pieces. I'm thinking of the Futurama movies.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2010/10/08/11895/hes_back%21

Pic of Coogan back as Partridge.

It feels more like an interesting DVD extra than actual quality addition to the Partridge canon.

Eleven minutes an episode is a decent length, though; room for plenty of good stuff to unfold, hopefully. Knowing Me Knowing You, for example, would still work pared down to eleven minute eps and just one guest.

There are some very fine ten minute shows - Marion and Geoff, Up in Town, Look Around You. Maybe this will be as good as them? I hope so, but it still strikes me as treading water.

Well, at least he actually looks like Partridge in that picture. The make-up in series two of I'm Alan Partridge was shocking.

I'm looking forward to these new episodes but I'm against the idea that everything has to be "online" these days. It doesn't automatically make something trendy and it doesn't make it any more accessible than a TV broadcast because some people either don't have the internet or (like myself) would rather watch proper television. It's almost turning into a gimmick, the notion that we should all support the "MySpace generation".

Anyway, I've fired off a tweet to Mr Iannucci asking him about a TV broadcast, will be interesting to hear his reply (IF he replies).

They are being written by Iannucci as he tweeted about it so they are going to be good I reckon.
Surely being able to watch them online isnt a problem for anyone that is into contributing to blogs?!
I can't wait, good on Foster's in my opinion, they could have just blown the money on ad's so at least they are doing something decent with their cash. there's loads of other stuff on their foster's funny website so it seems like they're getting right into comedy.

Quote: stamford @ October 9 2010, 9:04 AM BST

They are being written by Iannucci as he tweeted about it so they are going to be good I reckon.
Surely being able to watch them online isnt a problem for anyone that is into contributing to blogs?!
I can't wait, good on Foster's in my opinion, they could have just blown the money on ad's so at least they are doing something decent with their cash. there's loads of other stuff on their foster's funny website so it seems like they're getting right into comedy.

Thanks, corporate shill!