Goodnight Sweetheart - let's try to bring it back Page 5

Quote: T.W. @ 20th February 2014, 3:14 PM GMT

I remember someone who used to try to bring back old, popular shows...

Justin Lee Collins.

And look what happened to him.

Don't try to bring 'Goodnight Sweetheart' back, you'll probably end-up being convicted of domestic violence.

Laughing out loud

Have to keep coming back to this thread. I am now going to rate this show as the best sitcom ever. Just finished Series 6 again. It has so much to offer, I cannot find fault with it. Would sooner see Marks and Gran do something with this show, maybe even a spin-off with Ron, rather than Birds Of A Feather.

I bloody loved Goodnight Sweetheart. I would love this to come back for another series or a Christmas special, with Phoebe living in the present day and Ron is now married to Yvonne.

I would love it to come back too.

Looking at the DVDs again, it felt very much in two phases: series 1-3, then series 4-6. The first 3 felt very mid-90s and the rest late 90s, which is when they were done. That's not a bad thing, of course - like Back to the Future, it has a kind of dual nostalgia for when it was set and when it was made. You can certainly see Nick Lyndhurst hair-style change and when Yvonne became a millionaire it felt far removed from the earlier series when they were in a starter-home.

But yes, it should come back, but most likely never will. But the same could also have been applied to Birds of a Feather. This is slightly different, I think, however, as the premise would need to be explained to new viewers while B of a F is far simpler.

It's funny you should say that.
I recently discovered a time portal in my shed that took me back to the offices of Marks & Gran in 1993
They told me about this show they had written and asked if they should let it run its course & then bring it back at a later date for no reason whatsoever
I said never mind that!
If you don't get someone like Nicholas Lyndhurst for the Gary part then it probably won't get beyond a pilot.
And then I went off & pretended that I'd written all the Spice Girls songs before they'd even been invented.

Quote: comical masterpiece @ 10th March 2014, 7:23 PM GMT

Have to keep coming back to this thread. I am now going to rate this show as the best sitcom ever. Just finished Series 6 again. It has so much to offer, I cannot find fault with it. Would sooner see Marks and Gran do something with this show, maybe even a spin-off with Ron, rather than Birds Of A Feather.

They are more likely to do a stage show than a new TV series.

Quote: billwill @ 17th May 2014, 3:36 AM BST

They are more likely to do a stage show than a new TV series.

I'd like to see them do a stage show I can see the little one as Ernie Wise.

Why do people make petitions to bring shows back, when they have absolutely no idea whether or not the creators of the show actually have some good ideas for new episodes?

To show love and continuing support for the programme, presumably.

Quote: Aaron @ 17th May 2014, 12:43 PM BST

To show love and continuing support for the programme, presumably.

And there are no other ways to do that?

I mean, clearly Dad's Army isn't the subject of calls for it's return, since they're nearly all dead. Yet, somehow, the love of the show is still got across by its fanbase.

The point is there are many, many reasons (scripts/ideas, availability of actors, financing, projected viewing figures) for a series to return, and if these fell into place, the series would return.

This would be the case, whether or not there is the existence of a 244-member Facebook group, or some pointless e-petition.

Quote: SimonWing @ 17th May 2014, 3:46 PM BST

And there are no other ways to do that?

I mean, clearly Dad's Army isn't the subject of calls for it's return, since they're nearly all dead. Yet, somehow, the love of the show is still got across by its fanbase.

The point is there are many, many reasons (scripts/ideas, availability of actors, financing, projected viewing figures) for a series to return, and if these fell into place, the series would return.

This would be the case, whether or not there is the existence of a 244-member Facebook group, or some pointless e-petition.

Of course. Doesn't mean that fans can't show support by saying they'd love to see the show return, does it? Probably very few have sat and considered all the factors involved, not least the writers coming up with more ideas, but it's not like it does any harm.

Quote: Marc P @ 17th May 2014, 9:14 AM BST

I'd like to see them do a stage show I can see the little one as Ernie Wise.

I meant a stage show of Goodnight Sweetheart. Angry

If you don't behave I'll tell Maurice what you called him..

He might spot it himself, he did join this forum you know.

:S

Laurence Maurice call the Goodnight Sweetheart fans : Sweeties.

:)

http://www.marksandgran.com/blog/for-all-you-sweeties/

I can't hear the name Maurice without a Swanee whistle so I'm not scared ;)

And there is a new Dad's Army film on the cards apparently.

Quote: Marc P @ 17th May 2014, 11:11 PM BST

I can't hear the name Maurice without a Swanee whistle so I'm not scared ;)

And there is a new Dad's Army film on the cards apparently.

You cheated, you edited it out :D

Quote: SimonWing @ 17th May 2014, 12:39 PM BST

Why do people make petitions to bring shows back, when they have absolutely no idea whether or not the creators of the show actually have some good ideas for new episodes?

Same reason that remakes, sequels and adaptations are so popular. Same reason that films/shows are launched with "by the people who brought you..." blurbs and that star actors who people know are in demand. Because people, basically, just want more of the same. They like this show, so they want more of it. The only people that want telly to be full of new things from unknowns are unknowns who create new things that they want to go on telly.