That Mitchell And Webb Look - Series 4 Page 26

Quote: act4 @ August 18 2010, 10:06 PM BST

Yes I agree. So I think it is important we recognise it as such - their world view - not our own and not merely charming comedy because it has an angle it is not an objective view of the world today it is subjective.

Objective, subjective, schmective...

If it sparks peoples interest, makes them question their beliefs or even just Google an issue I think M&W have done an immaculate job.

It's comedy with an opinion, and I like that.

I wish they'd lay off the shop sketch.

It's the beloved granny of sketch comedy and they're stealing it's pension and shittng on it's doorstep.

It's just so "meh".

Overall, a pretty disappointing series, though the 'Diana' sketch in the final show was excellent. Not quite sure about the maudlin Sherlock Holmes piece at the end, but nicely played.

Quote: act4 @ August 18 2010, 10:06 PM BST

Yes I agree. So I think it is important we recognise it as such - their world view - not our own and not merely charming comedy because it has an angle it is not an objective view of the world today it is subjective.

Oh, and it's nice to see Alain de Botton's joined the BCG. Welcome. :)

Maybe as in Blackadder, M&W changed things when editing the end of the Holmes sketch? Perhaps mocking the afflicted felt too cynical (or not funny enough; I hadn't laughed at the sketch up until it changed tone), so they fiddled with it, removed the laughter and presented it to us as pathos?

I don't think the sketch changed tone at the end, it was sad throughout. Plus it was so damn well acted you knew they weren't going to give it a wacky comedy ending. I think they did it well.

My problem with their half-arsed critique of the Blackadder ending is that were they just specifically criticising this, or having a gho at all comedy that pulls the heart strings. Because Blackadder isn't alone. The Office, One Foot In The Grave, Only Fools And Horses, Steptoe and Son, Porridge and The Thick Of It have all had scenes of poigniancy.

That's why I think it was merely a dashed off sketch, rather than any deep and meaningful attack upon mawkishness in comedy.

Yes, but everyone is endlessly going on about how wonderful and poignant the ending of that Blackadder is. It's become a cliche to go on about it.

Quote: zooo @ August 19 2010, 9:46 AM BST

Yes, but everyone is endlessly going on about how wonderful and poignant the ending of that Blackadder is. It's become a cliche to go on about it.

But everybody also goes on about how wonderful and poingnant The Office is at the end of the second series when David Brent is begging for his job. Blackadder's not the only comedy to do something like that, nor the only show to be lauded for it.

They do, but nowhere near as much as Blackadder.
Maybe I've seen too many comedy retrospectives, but seriously, it's ALWAYS the ending of Blackadder that people go on about. The amount of times I've seen that bloody clip.

Quote: zooo @ August 19 2010, 9:54 AM BST

Maybe I've seen too many comedy retrospectives, but seriously, it's ALWAYS the ending of Blackadder that people go on about. The amount of times I've seen that bloody clip.

Boy, you really hate those soldiers that died in World War I.
Shame on you, zoo. Shame on you!

Rolling eyes

Quote: zooo @ August 19 2010, 9:54 AM BST

It looks like it's just you and me who are prepared to admit to disliking it. Perhaps we're simply heartless bastards?

Quote: zooo @ August 19 2010, 10:14 AM BST

Rolling eyes

Seriously, though. Isn't it good that a mainstream comedy did make you stop and think about the men that died in World War I? How often does that happen? How often do any of the narcistic self-obssessed navel gazing comedies we produce make you think about anything other than yourself?

If you read back, I said I liked the ending. Just that it is also, as well as being good and thought provoking, a tad mawkish.

Quote: Nogget @ August 19 2010, 10:23 AM BST

It looks like it's just you and me who are prepared to admit to disliking it. Perhaps we're simply heartless bastards?

:D