That Mitchell And Webb Look - Series 4 Page 23

The Sherlock one did make me feel faintly uneasy at times as I was watching it, as the idea of an old man getting dementia feels wrong to laugh at; but then they gave it the sad ending which I think redeemed it.

It was a very emotional sketch. Weird though as they were ribbing Blackadder last week over the same thing.

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 17 2010, 9:47 PM BST

Weird though as they were ribbing Blackadder last week over the same thing.

I thought that was weird too. Personally, I didn't find this week's ending emotional or poignant - just seemed a bit "ooooh! how depressing if we do this!".

Episode was a bit dud again. Not as bad as the first couple of weeks, but not as good as last week's.

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 17 2010, 9:47 PM BST

It was a very emotional sketch. Weird though as they were ribbing Blackadder last week over the same thing.

Ahhh, yes.
I didn't get that.

I thought it was a brilliant ending.

I think that they maybe took the piss out of Blackadder intentionally knowing they'd be doing this. So, not taking the piss at all really.

*goes crazy*

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 17 2010, 10:11 PM BST

I think that they maybe took the piss out of Blackadder intentionally knowing they'd be doing this. So, not taking the piss at all really. *goes crazy*

There's been no real consistency this series in terms of quality or tone, so it's hardly surprising they'd contradict themselves over this.

Yes, overall this series has been mediocre at best.

I think that they maybe took the piss out of Blackadder intentionally knowing they'd be doing this. So, not taking the piss at all really.

*goes crazy*

Indeed.

Quote: chipolata @ August 17 2010, 10:16 PM BST

There's been no real consistency this series in terms of quality or tone, so it's hardly surprising they'd contradict themselves over this.

No, it's fairly obvious (to clever people like me) that they did that on purpose.

I'd say that was pretty unlikely. If it was on purpose, then it's a very odd joke that most people wouldn't have even noticed.

Quote: zooo @ August 17 2010, 10:22 PM BST

Indeed. No, it's fairly obvious (to clever people like me) that they did that on purpose.

In that case they were just repeating a gag they bludgeoned to death last week.

PAH!

More like they were making a very subtle, intelligent point.

Quote: zooo @ August 17 2010, 10:47 PM BST

PAH!

More like they were making a very subtle, intelligent point.

:D

And what exactly would be clever about the contradiction?

Quote: zooo @ August 17 2010, 10:47 PM BST

PAH! More like they were making a very subtle, intelligent point.

PHOOEY! Last week's Blackadder observation was flimsy and throwaway and there merely to open the door to a few sketches. There was no intellectual weight behind it.

Quote: Aaron @ August 17 2010, 9:42 PM BST

Loved the Sorry! discussion sketch, and the Diana one. Sherlock was more than a little depressing on the whole though, so not the greatest end to the series.

What he said; Webb did make a cracking Watson though.