That Mitchell And Webb Look - Series 4 Page 29

I met a man last might who didn't like the show. They're everywhere!

I caught up with this at the weekend. Generally a v. funny episode. Really enjoyed the Prayer and a Pint sketch. I haven't really enjoyed those sketches up till this one, but maybe the culmulative ridiculousness kicked in.

And thanks to David Mitchell I've had the 'Praise Him' song in my head all bastard weekend!

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 23 2010, 1:10 PM BST

And thanks to David Mitchell I've had the 'Praise Him' song in my head all bastard weekend!

Oh God, same here. Been singing it for days.
It's still funny though.

Quote: zooo @ August 23 2010, 1:13 PM BST

It's still funny though.

It's very funny. It took me a while to find it funny. But I do now. Very.

Yep, it must be a grower. I thought it was a bit rubbish the first time.

That's my enjoyment of Songs of Praise knackered!

All I want to do, All I want to do, All I want to do...

Be very tempting as a ring-tone that.

The bloke at party front deconstruction sketch was excellent. It made me feel better about myself. And isn't that the function of all art?

Clearly not as strong as 'Peep Show' but def enjoyable.
I met the duo back in my Cambridge days but really, I only bumped into them once or twice for 'Footlights' auditions. I still remember Robert Webb's first monologue - hilarious, a terrified lecturer in a prison - and people were already saying he could have a comedy career in front of him. I hate to say that 'cause it's such a cliché in retrospect but on this occasion it's the absolute truth!

This series was very hit and miss, I thought. Not that strong to be honest. There were some very good sketches though and I did laugh quite a bit, but episode 4 was very weak.

I found the runners less interesting than the others: tired of 'Hennimore' now, didn't really think 'Prayer and a Pint' was funny (not sure what they're trying to do, tbh) and the 'Remain Indoors' has taken far too long before anything interesting happened (12 episodes!). They were all 'okay', just not top quality as I'd expect.

That said, the 'Sorry!' sketch was excellent, as was the 'Haitch' sketch earlier on in the series. And I liked the 'previously'/'next time!' sketch as it was an interesting deconstruction of TV today, so it had its moments.

Again, I don't think I'm making any valid point...

Dan

Quote: zooo @ August 23 2010, 1:13 PM BST

It's still funny though.

Damn it! I didn't have it in my head at all and now it's going round and round...

The rest of that sketch I didn't really get but the song always made me laugh.

Totally agree, I think the whole concept of their sketches is that they gradually grow on you. They are at most vaguely funny on first viewing. I say 'and that's Word Wang!' all the time and as for Prayer and a Pint..my husband and I are always singing that song, it's hysterical! I didnt flinch the first few episodes and thought it was weak and a bit lame, but it stays with you. I think this duo are really clever and are brave enough to be different. I would love to go out for a pint with both Mitchell and Webb, it would be a right laugh. 'Who do I want to Praise, who do I want to praise....'!!!

Quote: Mair @ October 7 2010, 9:51 PM BST

Totally agree, I think the whole concept of their sketches is that they gradually grow on you. They are at most vaguely funny on first viewing. I say 'and that's Word Wang!' all the time and as for Prayer and a Pint..my husband and I are always singing that song, it's hysterical! I didnt flinch the first few episodes and thought it was weak and a bit lame, but it stays with you. I think this duo are really clever and are brave enough to be different. I would love to go out for a pint with both Mitchell and Webb, it would be a right laugh. 'Who do I want to Praise, who do I want to praise....'!!!

Oh my word! Are you some kind of mental...? Errr

Obligatory welcome to the BCG. ;) Wave

Welcome, Mair. Don't mind Tim!

I've been seeing a lot of this in reruns on Dave recently. I'm not a fan of Peep Show, but I find this show very funny, which is odd, I guess. It's a shame it's come to an end (or so I read).

Quote: Brett Barnett @ February 29 2012, 2:20 PM GMT

I've been seeing a lot of this in reruns on Dave recently. I'm not a fan of Peep Show, but I find this show very funny, which is odd, I guess. It's a shame it's come to an end (or so I read).

Peep Show is written by different people, though I imagine Mitchell and Webb have a little bit of input.

I'm sad if it's finished, but they ended it in a very clever way.