That Mitchell And Webb Look - Series 4 Page 25

I thought the Sherlock one would have been more poignant if they ended on Sherlock's "seeing through the fog" line.

Ok, so here is my response: The end of Blackadder Goes Forth is fitting as it reinforces the comedy. What I mean is the satire in Blackadder is created to address the tragedy of millions dead or wounded in the trenches while the hierarchy they fought to protect remained well behind the front line! In contrast, episode 6 of "That Mitchell and Webb Look" felt uncomfortably like atheistic, middle class derision of the people Mitchell and Webb personally despise in society. Because, like or hate people of faith, supporters of the monarchy or people deprived in one way or another it should not be up to Mitchell and Webb to enlighten us of their/ our folly. The Sherlock Holmes sketch seemed to me to be a "summing-up" of their grand opinion that humanity is frail and flawed, existence is pointless and all things must reach their pitiful, natural conclusion - much like their sketch show. Well, they are the authorities on the subject of human existence so we had better all just "Remain indoors".

BUT: that is just my interpretation - does anyone agree/disagree? Or am I missing something?
?

Well I didn't get any of that, I must be honest!
I just thought it was a touching moment about an old man who used to be a hero. Didn't feel it was any big comment on society.

P.S. Welcome to the site. :)

Welcome Act4
Scene 1 you've scene them all.

An interesting point. There's probably some element of truth in that assessment, act4, but I doubt it's conscious on the part of the writers. It merely pushes their world view because, well, they're the writers.

Thanks for your replies - I was very taken aback by the harrowing tone of the final scene, I never really write on forums but this pushed me to!

It just seems to me they often pick on the notion of the monarchy, or religion or education: all institutions which should be challenged and satirized. But they are not really satirizing these faceless institutions but the people who (they believe) are foolish enough to belong to/support them. Rather than unconscious is this in fact a very subtle way of forwarding their world view?

Quote: Griff @ August 18 2010, 9:12 PM BST

The slow-motion finale of Blackadder wasn't planned by the writers, director, producer or cast. It was suggested in the edit by the technicians to get over the fact that the final running-across-the-barbed-wire scene looked a bit naff when played at normal speed.

Curtis said it was
"one of the most moving things I had ever seen"

For all the one dimensional panto there was a "feel" for the times. Somehow BA3 had the feeling that you got in Gillray prints, that sense of chaos and debauchery.

The tragedy of the the final scene is it over plays the satire the rest of BA4 had been building far more subtley.

Quote: act4 @ August 18 2010, 9:27 PM BST

Rather than unconscious is this in fact a very subtle way of forwarding their world view?

What's wrong with that? Isn't that what most creative types are trying to do?

Whether or not the end of Blackadder was planned to be in slow motion or not is in my opinion irrelevant - the entire series is crafted to address the disposable nature of the individual in WW1. I think the comedy works because it is powered by this message.

Also it was totally accidental that Fleming left that Petri dish where he did - but equally it was not a sure thing that anyone else would have recognised its significance. Bizarrely, I think the same rule may apply to Blackadder!

I don't think there was a less mawkish and more identifiable way you could illustrate the dual terrors of being shot by your side and shot by the enemy. That and how false madness becomes the only escape from the real madness of industrial war.

Some times profound satire wears pants on it's head.

Some times tragedy puts pencils up it's nose.

Quote: AngieBaby @ August 18 2010, 9:57 PM BST

What's wrong with that? Isn't that what most creative types are trying to do?

Yes I agree. So I think it is important we recognise it as such - their world view - not our own and not merely charming comedy because it has an angle it is not an objective view of the world today it is subjective.

Quote: act4 @ August 18 2010, 10:06 PM BST

it is not an objective view of the world today it is subjective.

Well, I'd hope so.

Well yes they're using standard comedic forms, so do most comics.

It's what they did with them that was diferent.

I think it was diferent (and thought the Carry On's a fascinating study in psychology of the UK with a few poor jokes).

But then we can agree to differ.