Stand Up For The Week - Series 1

Just watched this, Patrick Kielty's stand up is brilliant. Thought Andi Osho was really good, surprising raunchy actually, and was pleased to see Brendon Burns had piled on a couple of pounds.

The lady was rudddddde!

Should be a good show, dependent on the week's potential material.
Was interesting to see Jack Whitehall address the cocaine stories.

If PK wasn't so smug & unlikeable he'd be a big star.
Oh he is?
really?
I can't say I'd noticed.

Despite having a list of writers as long as my arm, it didn't really work for me. I do normally like these slightly-variety, showcase type shows, but it felt flat. Just not funny enough. The length of the sets wasn't optimal either: with the exception of Brendon Burns', they seemed to end just as they were starting to pick up. Particularly unimpressed by Andi Osho and her stunted stop-start performance flow.

Not the greatest show. There were a few moments throughout and I'm glad to see Brendon Burns, but it wasn't great.

Still, it should be interesting to see what "edgy" comics they will also have on. To put it simply, if over the course of the series Jerry Sadowitz isn't one of them, I'll be disappointed.

I think this will be a show that will improve over the next few weeks. I suspect Jack Whitehall would've been funnier if he hadn't had to address the coke scandal (what, a young comic doing drugs? NEVER!) Loved Andi Osho.

Heard some pretty awful things about this. "Fell flat" was one of them. And that it was obvious that the comedian's acts were written by the same writers. Plus taking the whole "controversial" act to stupid levels.

I'm pretty put off to be honest.

I was really shocked when I saw the number of writers in the credits!

I must be old fashioned but I thought stand ups wrote their own material.

Quote: zooo @ June 29 2010, 11:48 AM BST

I was really shocked when I saw the number of writers in the credits!

I must be old fashioned but I thought stand ups wrote their own material.

They do until they get too big. There's not much writing time left in the day when you're busy snorting coke up your bum and doing body shots off of babies.

:D

I'm watching this now and quite enjoying it. It's delivering the sort of cutting satire that Mock The Week no longer seems able to deliver now Frankie Boyle has gone. The Mock The Week crew certainly weren't as (justifiably) rude about the England football team as this show's comics are being.

Nice to have Patrick Kielty back actually. No idea why he decided to go and try and be a boring TV presenter on boring TV shows... he's better at this kind of thing.

As noted above, the show does have a massive team of writers - but, if it means the show is funny, does it matter? I certainly don't blame the comics for using writers, most touring stand-ups only have to come up with an hour's material a year, TV comics have to come up with 15 minutes every week (harder than it sounds, give it a try)... they're going to need help.

(Incidently almost all the panel shows have just as many writers, see our guides. For example, if you look closely on Mock The Week you can sometimes see the comics looking down at their gags written on paper in front of them. Two weeks ago, I spotted Jack Whitehall getting some notes out his pocket during the final round.)

I lost track and just didn't pay close enough attention through most of this week's show - that's telling.

I think I went and cleaned the bathroom.
That's even telling-er.

I'm not a prude by any means but I do think Rich Hall tends to use the F word far too much.

I have only managed to catch 1 episode of this, but how often can 'Live At The Apollo' be remade lol Was pretty good from what I saw!