Stand Up For The Week - Series 1 Page 2

I've just got round to watching the second episode (Rich Hall was quality as always). Mark Watson was a strange choice for the edgy finish, I'm hoping Frankie Boyle or Jim Jeffries will make an appearance.

So, week 3. Enjoyed Jack Whitehall and Rich Hall wasn't too bad. Really don't 'get' Andi Osho - some of her material is funny, but some I just cringe at. The overarching feeling of her set is just not comfortable, sadly. Micky Flanagan had a pretty funny set though, so nice to end on a good note. Not seen him much, hopefully he'll be appearing on TV more.

I loved Rich Hall's Raoul Moat routine this week Laughing out loud

I think this show is terrible, which is disappointing considering I like almost everyone involved (except Patrick Kielty). I always end up thoroughly miserable by the end of it. This saddens me, as I am a fan of the majority of the comics.

On a defensive note though, (some of) the comics do write their own material (though I suspect it's edited by the writing team before recording). Some of the acts try out their material for the coming show at nights like Old Rope near Oxford Circus on a Monday night, so I can vouch that it isn't just scripted for them.

Strangely though, it is ALWAYS funnier at Rope than it is on the show.

Jack Whitehall's bit always seems to have been written by him. But maybe I'm just gullible.

The show doesn't work, but I still watch it every week. It's just nice to have stand up on the telly.

Jack Whitehall's material is either written by himself, or by someone who can replicate his style with worrying accuracy.

I told the fella we're not watching it any more now. It's not worth it- I've got a load of Comedy Store saved on the V+ box, I'll just stick that on instead if I need some more standup to take it's place !

A disappointing series on the whole. I'm still not entirely sure why it didn't work, and a great shame too.

Andi Osho looks and sounds as if she's reading an autocue or, at best, simply reciting a script written by someone else AT the audience.

But she's a woman talking openly about things women don't usually talk about in mixed company and that, after all, is what being a comedienne is all about as far as many comediennes are concerned.

She's also black, which makes a racist out of anyone who doesn't give her a standing ovation.

And, talking about standing, at least she didn't come on stage in a wheelchair: that really would have placed her beyond ALL criticism.

You liked her then?

I saw her at Latitude festival and she made me feel uncomfortable. She tried some improvised stuff which was painful with a kid out the audience who was funnier than she was.

Quote: Ming the Mirthless @ September 29 2010, 8:56 PM BST

Andi Osho looks and sounds as if she's reading an autocue or, at best, simply reciting a script written by someone else AT the audience.

I don't think this TV vehicle has done her great favours as it's made her out to be a bit more aggressive and controversial than she is in real life. I've seen her live a couple of times and, both times, she really got the audience going with some quite different material than she uses on this programme (as you've probably gathered, much of the material on Stand Up For The Week is scripted by a team writers)

Si Hawkins interviewed Andi for the BCG recently. It's an interesting article. Reading between the lines I think she knows that this isn't her ideal show, but she's doing it to get onto the next rung of the ladder:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/features/articles/ct/andi_osho_interview/