The Bubble Page 3

I missed the Reg and Victoria clip, but the Frank one didn't seem like anything they couldn't have filmed 'round the executive producer's house on the way to the studio.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 20 2010, 7:43 PM GMT

Thought Mitchell handled the barbs from Reg very well, he's not afraid of seeming sensitive and slightly effete and vulnerable, he's a total breath of fresh air from the laddish stand up types we usually produce.

Yes, thank gawd. :)

With just 30 mins I spose they're restricted but it could do with a longer version like other news panel shows, I never watch the short version of QI or HIGNFY anymore. I liked The Bubble but thought it lacked something, and looked a bit sterile.

Is this show abit like the Mitchell and Webb sketch "stay in doors"

OK, another great idea. But... they need more footage of the panalists in the house. Now Big Brother has finished they can develop the idea and have a cross between BB and The Bubble, and every week David Mitchell goes into the house and asks them the questions.

The whole premise of them being isolated for four days is lost because they don't show it!

Yep, that's right really, as it is, the show seems quite sterile and oddly unconnected to life, but I don't see what you suggest, happening. Mitchell isn't the right one to be sending in there and getting close to them. Mitchell is detatched, dry and witty, and suits the BBC upmarket studio format to a Tee, and they won't end his contract just like that. And do we really want more of that grinning, vain Davina woman on our box?

I imagine there wasn't a great deal of "Bubble" footage because it just wasn't funny enough, so they instead used more footage from the actual show. I sensed a faint frostiness between the panellists so perhaps there wasn't a lot of funny to film in the 'house'.

Have to wait and see what happens in future eps.

Quote: jim howells @ February 21 2010, 12:21 AM GMT

OK, another great idea. But... they need more footage of the panalists in the house. Now big brother has finished they can develop the idea and have a cross between BB and The Bubble, and every week David Michell goes into the house and asks them the questions.

Maybe that was the sort of thing they originally intended, but for some reason it didn't work, and so they fell back on the tried and tested studio audience model, resulting in this uncomfortable format.

Maybe Ms Corren got spitroasted? And the BBC felt this wasn't part of their public service agenda to broadcast.

I think it's more likely that she got sexually harrissed by notorious womaniser Frank Skinner and the BBC is far too PC to condone that sort of thing. On the show itself Skinner once again stole the show, for me, just, although Reg D Hunter is definitely getting more tuned in to the panel show routine. When he first appeared on HIGNFY I thought he was falling back on his stand up routine too much instead of reacting to the news item, but on The Bubble he was more like Paul Merton, using the host as the butt of his jokes just to keep the thing rolling, so that's something he's learned already from those around him.

Quote: sootyj @ February 21 2010, 10:12 AM GMT

Maybe Ms Corren got spitroasted? And the BBC felt this wasn't part of their public service agenda to broadcast.

If that's the case, I intend to write a rather stiff letter to the Daily Mail.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ February 21 2010, 1:01 PM GMT

If that's the case, I intend to write a letter - rather stiff - to the Daily Mail.

Corrected that for you.

This is up against fat Moyles's quiz night next week... that should sort the wheat from the chav.

I <3 Vicky Coren.

Once again perplexed by the BBC schedulers - why is this going out at 10 pm on a Friday?

Although I enjoyed it, I was expecting something a little more in the style of Mock The Week for that time slot.

Quote: sheep2 @ February 22 2010, 9:05 AM GMT

Once again perplexed by the BBC schedulers - why is this going out at 10 pm on a Friday?

It should be going out at 6.30 on Radio 4.