The Bubble Page 10

I thought Tim Key was disappointing last night. Especially after his star turn in the Radio 4 sitcom Party.

I hadn't really warmed to The Bubble till last night, but I actually couldn't stop laughing this week. I especially liked the idea that actually it was David whos been in a bubble for the past 20 years or so! Maybe I was in a giddy mood though?

Thought Katy Brand was good, I remembered half way through that her and David had been in Peep Show together.

I'll keep watching because I love David Mitchell when he's on ranty form, but I think it's a show which is very dependant on the guests.

Not the most sparkling panel (Katy apart), but David was on good form.

I like hearing that Anthea Turner had sold only two tickets at a 780-seat theatre.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1258056/Anthea-Turner-axes-Perfect-Housewife-tour-ticket-sales-flop.html

David Mitchell held this together last night, as the three guests were not very good at all.

Someone is going to have to explain Katy Brand to me...

Quote: Damn His Duckpond @ March 19 2010, 2:49 PM GMT

Someone is going to have to explain Katy Brand to me...

Russell Brand's wife.

David Mitchell held this together last night, as the three guests were not very good at all.

I thought Tim Key had a pretty good presence.

The show's laughs do seem to rely a little too much on mocking David Mitchell for being square, which I reckon skews the host/panel dynamic into uncharted territory as far as these things go.

Especially Josie Long.

Quote: RobJ @ March 19 2010, 5:44 PM GMT

Especially Josie Long.

She did come across as a bit of a dim chav.

It seems Tim Key was a late replacement for Rod Liddel, who was moving house and needed to be contactable.

I think Katy Brand summed up the problem with the format of this show quite well on Thursday when she pointed out she had been getting more wrong when playing along at home with full access to the news, than she was after having been in house. The stories are, in 90% of cases, so obscure there's really no need to have locked the contestants away before hand. The news clips are also too long and boring too.

That said, I'm still finding much to laugh about, mainly in the banter between rounds.

Shame about Tim Key - he either got un-fairly edited out, or found himself a bit out of his depth in this role of panel show guest.

Quote: Mark @ March 20 2010, 5:11 PM GMT

The stories are, in 90% of cases, so obscure there's really no need to have locked the contestants away before hand.

That's certainly true of the minor stories, but the 'panic in Georgia' tale was pretty big, and that round constituted a significant part of the show. Maybe they could make greater use of 'big' stories and find hilarity in the spectacle of the celebs failing to spot what we all know to be true.

The trouble there is that the celebs will know they're to be on the show, and so will take extra care to read the news of the week. There's only been one question each week that I've not known (sadly), and I've not been a particularly hardcore news devourer of late. It'd just be another topical panel show.