Peter Kay's latest comedy is rubbish. Page 3

Quote: ContainsNuts @ May 1, 2007, 11:27 AM

Are we talking about his work or him as a person? Unless you know him personally then you're in no position to comment.

Comment: apparently Tony Christie likes him.

I'm talking about other comedians (that do know him) in interviews talking about him i liked pheonix nights and although against the grain on this forum i liked max & paddies, in fact i was only really disappointed by his book.

We're not saying we think he's a cock, we're saying that a lot of people who know him think he's a cock.

I know the reason (or atleast one of the reasons) why there isn't going be another series of Phoenix Nights is because some of the cast hate him. Dave Spikey has also said publically that he doesn't like him anymore either. Let's not forget "Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights" though he didn't write it alone did he?

I find him arrogant, which is weird because he has nothing to be arrogant about in my opinion. So what if a lot of people like him, a lot of people enjoy Vicar Of Dibley, doesn't mean that was funny (sorry if you are a fan, this is my personal opinion). Phoenix Nights, though it had it's moments, i consider it average at best. That Peter Kay Thing was one of the most boring things i had ever seen. And Max & Paddy ... yuck. I'd probably wouldn't mind him if he was crap and was nice about it, but he is crap and a twat about it.

P.S. Anyone else notice he fakes his smiles most of the time? You can tell by the muscles of his face, he forces smiles every time he appears on chat shows.

Very good points Walker!

Yes, Walker has made a crucial point in that Phoenix Nights was co-written by Spikey and Neil Fitzmaurice – that's why it was better than Max and Paddy.

I can remember first feeling that there wasn't a great mind at work behind the fat chops and tiny teeth when he couldn't explain on a chatshow why the character of Brian Potter was paraplegic. He'd literally put him in a wheelchair as a gimmick.

He was the final guest on a chat show in which Vic Reeves also appeared, and at some point in the interview he said something offhand (not as part of a joke) about how on chat shows they always put the biggest talent on last.

The f**king cheek.

It's a small thing, but it was really egotistical and insensitive and it just made me hate him.

It's not the biggest talent that they put on last. It's the biggest name at that point. The fact that the biggest name on that show was a complete c**t evidently passed him by.

Surely - not that I've watched Parkinson for years because I find him a fawning patronising git after things like Wossy - the first guests are the most important because they get interviewed on their own and then have the chance to join in with all the others. Or am I being naiive?

I agree.
And David Tennant was on first t'other day. So that proves it.

On a lot of shows though, they come on one at a time. And there's a build up to the 'big' one.

No no David. It all depends on one's interests of course, but the real "big" name of each episode comes last. Otherwise, why would you stick around? Watch the main guest then change channel.

Quote: Aaron @ May 6, 2007, 11:57 PM

No no David. It all depends on one's interests of course, but the real "big" name of each episode comes last. Otherwise, why would you stick around? Watch the main guest then change channel.

Well i don't know i'd consider David Mitchell to be the real big name considering he was on last on Parky last night.

No because they stay there all the time taking the piss out of everyone else. On Jonathan Ross he talks to them individually so it is the last person. He has been scraping the bottom of the barrel though recently. Maybe I should watch Peep Show instead.

Quote: Richard Wells @ May 7, 2007, 12:03 AM

Well i don't know i'd consider David Mitchell to be the real big name considering he was on last on Parky last night.

Ah, well it's been a long time since I watched Parkinson. (Not since he left the BBC actually). It's certainly the case on other shows.

That's what I mean Aaron. It does all seem arse about face and I can't watch Parkinson now. It never seems naturally amusing.

I don't think it is necessarily 'biggest name goes last' - sometimes they go first to make people tune in and then stay with the programme. e.g. the Spiderman actors on J Ross the other week went first - they were clearly the biggest names.

Perhaps Kay meant biggest, as in widest. Who ate all the pies - he did!