Things that piss you off Page 1,671

DaButt's cruising for a bruising.

Quote: zooo @ 2nd June 2016, 9:29 PM BST

DaButt's cruising for a bruising.

See? Such hostility for your fellow man! :P

I'll probably head to the grocery store in an hour or so and if I weren't afraid of being arrested for perving on teenage girls I'd surreptitiously film the encounter as proof of genuine friendliness.

You guys would flip your lids if you walked through one 40-something woman's checkout line. She wishes everyone a bless-ed day and she's so smiley that you almost expect her to invite you to her house for supper. (And she's stunningly beautiful and wears tight Wrangler jeans with a big ol' shiny belt buckle.)

Oh god, telling English people to have a blessed day would piss us off even more!

Religion is just not the done thing.

I bet she's really nice though. In America I wouldn't mind it at all. It's just here it would seem fake and gross.

Quote: DaButt @ 2nd June 2016, 9:27 PM BST

As I've said, it's not that difficult to be nice to someone, especially if they haven't done anything to warrant the cold shoulder.

Maybe living on a cold, dreary isle for eons has damaged your country's genetic capacity for friendliness. ;)

I'm lovely to everyone, and if ever grumpy, I will apologise for it as don't want to spoil anyone else's day by them thinking it has anything to do with them.

And we don't need constant sunshine as my smile alone lights up this cold and dreary isle . . . and FYI - I have had 3 fans on full blast all day as my flat s like a turkish bath at the mo! Cool :$

It's not exactly that people aren't polite here. I've worked in a shop and I was always very polite and friendly, I said hi to everyone, smiled. It's more like, it's none of my business what the rest of their day is like. Why would I say have a nice day? They might be going to a funeral for all I know.

So ACTUALLY it's almost like we're TOO polite. You get on with your day, I'll get on with mine, and we won't pry into each others business.

Quote: zooo @ 2nd June 2016, 9:54 PM BST

It's more like, it's none of my business what the rest of their day is like. Why would I say have a nice day? They might be going to a funeral for all I know.

Precisely!

I just had some bloody dreadful news recently and had people (relative strangers) asking me for days afterwards how I was, so not only had to lie to everyone (as this is another statement in question form that no-one wants any real answer to) who asked me "How are you today?" but had to also endure "have a nice day" or afternoon or whatever, when all I really wanted to do was scream or punch someone in the face.

What pisses me off? F**king everything.

Quote: Sarc @ 2nd June 2016, 10:39 PM BST

Well don't F**k everything then.

Quote: zooo @ 2nd June 2016, 9:54 PM BST

It's not exactly that people aren't polite here. I've worked in a shop and I was always very polite and friendly, I said hi to everyone, smiled. It's more like, it's none of my business what the rest of their day is like. Why would I say have a nice day? They might be going to a funeral for all I know.

I'm speaking more about friendliness than politeness, but they tend to go hand in hand.

Something to ponder: for every person who might be annoyed/offended by an unsolicited "have a nice day" because they're going to a funeral or having a bad day, there's probably a lonely soul for whom that brief exchange of pleasantries will be the only meaningful interaction with another human being that day.

You've got to understand that we're miserable gits!

Quote: Sarc @ 2nd June 2016, 10:39 PM BST

:P

I just have a very low tolerance threshold at the moment for arseholes who don't know they're alive and seem to have one aim and purpose in life, which is to behave like utter selfish twats and annoy the bejeezus out of the rest of us in all ways possible.

Quote: Chappers @ 2nd June 2016, 10:41 PM BST

Well don't F**k everything then.

:D I walked into that one didn't I?, arseing bollocks.

Quote: Chappers @ 2nd June 2016, 10:42 PM BST

You've got to understand that we're miserable gits!

I've figured that out. ;)

I do love to laugh at the perceived stereotype other nations have of us as we are masters of self deprecation, and in particular the one about scots being mean and having an awful diet because though some may be (for all I know) and do have, my diet is very mediterranean and I give willingly to others when I have very little myself.

But the miserable thing is simply a myth, probably assumed because of our weather - but truth is we embrace the contrast and are jolly despite it, and our sense of humour is testament to that . . . as is this forum! :P

Quote: DaButt @ 2nd June 2016, 10:42 PM BST

Something to ponder: for every person who might be annoyed/offended by an unsolicited "have a nice day" because they're going to a funeral or having a bad day, there's probably a lonely soul for whom that brief exchange of pleasantries will be the only meaningful interaction with another human being that day.

Very true.
But we may have a lovely conversation about how awful the weather is instead. Or bond over how annoying it is that they now have to pay 5p for a bag. We still don't need to do any of this have a nice day shit. ;)