Jealousy in British comedy Page 4

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 13 2009, 4:52 PM GMT

Er, yes it does. :D

how?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 13 2009, 3:50 PM GMT

This is true, Stewart Lee shouted at us all last night, saying one McIntyre fan was worth ten of us.

Laughing out loud

It's funny cos it's true. :(

Quote: katie coe @ December 13 2009, 5:01 PM GMT

how?

Jake How?

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 13 2009, 4:15 PM GMT

Jesus Aaron what's going on, disrespect isn't a verb.

It is in the part of Harlem where Aaron was brought up.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 13 2009, 6:51 PM GMT

Laughing out loud

Jake How?

Yes Jake, how?
:)

I think this is a brilliant thread as it highlight the grave injustice about last night. It all goes down fragile egos and not their lack of success as many of the people, have, I beleive enjoyed consierable success, though in my oppinion not always diserved, however they excercise this resentment twoards msrrs Kay and Mcintyre simply due to insecurity about themselves and a lot of happiness, possibly in their home lifes.

Quote: IT David @ December 13 2009, 11:14 PM GMT

I think this is a brilliant thread as it highlight the grave injustice about last night.

What grave injustices were these then?

The fact Peter and Micheal were victimised by the audience who showed a lack of courtesy towards them.

Quote: IT David @ December 13 2009, 11:17 PM GMT

The fact Peter and Micheal were victimised by the audience who showed a lack of courtesy towards them.

Both got applauded and respectfully listened to during their acceptance speeches. That's hardly victiminisation. I mean, I don't think you need to put in a call to Amnesty about it. Rolling eyes

Quote: Ben @ December 13 2009, 4:46 PM GMT

I've just been told that MM is funny because he doesn't resort to swearing, sex or mother-in-law jokes. I guess the public gets what the public wants etc.

MM needs to watch it. His last Apollo set had him miming 'wanking off' a man. His audience really doesn't want to him to do these kind of gags.

Quote: IT David @ December 13 2009, 11:14 PM GMT

I think this is a brilliant thread as it highlight the grave injustice about last night. It all goes down fragile egos and not their lack of success as many of the people, have, I beleive enjoyed consierable success, though in my oppinion not always diserved, however they excercise this resentment twoards msrrs Kay and Mcintyre simply due to insecurity about themselves and a lot of happiness, possibly in their home lifes.

A weird question perhaps, but did you type that drunk?

I'd call it a mix of jealousy and frustation - you can feel the sheer frustration from some of these stand ups who think they've been doing the right act for ten or more hard years, because they're not too different from others in the top 20 stand up list, then this rather diluted, pleasant family man comedian comes along having diverted much of the hard slog of circuit gigs and makes his fame and fortune in a few months. I think a lot of them are left just scratching their heads at how he did it and what he's got. But yes, plain jealousy seems to have gripped some of them. If comedy is such a tough and thankless busness then for some of them then why don't they just look for another career? Some, like Stewart Lee seem to make a reasonble living out of mainly bemoaning their chosen life path and career as tho they could do nothing else. Stewart, with an Oxford education you had plenty of other decent options for a more rewarding career!! Stop moaning.

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ December 13 2009, 3:22 PM GMT

It definitely isn't a majority that like Michael McIntyre.

I think the majority of the public do like him. How else does he have the top selling DVD, a massive hit TV series, and manage to pack out the 02 in minutes? It's just 'hardcore' comedy fans that don't like him (incidently, I'd call myself a strong comedy fan, but I do like him - I think he's a very skilled entertainer indeed)

What I do find frustrating though is that most people seem to think he had overnight success...

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ December 13 2009, 3:22 PM GMT

I would be willing to put money on him being nowhere near as succesful if he had being working the circuit, just because the audiences are different.

He's been gigging on the circuit since 2001! He's done that hard graft! He's done Jongleurs, he's done rooms in Edinburgh (nominated for best newcomer in 2003 incidently) - he's done all that, so he's not actually just jumped straight into the industry and onto the big stage!

I strongly recommend reading all three pages of this very interesting Times interview with him. You might change your mind about him after reading that (or maybe not, but it's worth a read).

McIntyre vs Lee is a bit like comparing Frosties vs Steak. Stewart Lee is a part of my comedy education - Fist of Fun and TMWRNJ have been as influential as the Mary Whitehouse Experience and Adam and Joe.

Clever, witty, cerebral comedy that challenged perceived conceptions about society, religion, politics, relationships, music, film and television.

Hardcore, you know the score.

Quote: ellipsis @ December 14 2009, 2:59 AM GMT

A weird question perhaps, but did you type that drunk?

He's in IT.

He's probably got a different spell checker to the rest of us !

;)

F**k off R.C! ;)

I'm with you until the hardcore bit, that's just bollocks.