Jealousy in British comedy Page 3

I would say Michael McIntyre makes me laugh more. And he's more likable. I can't watch someone if I think they're a twat.

Quote: katie coe @ December 13 2009, 3:45 PM GMT

Well there are more 'casual' comedy fans out there than 'hardcore' so it works out well for him.

This is true, Stewart Lee shouted at us all last night, saying one McIntyre fan was worth ten of us. :D

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 13 2009, 3:50 PM GMT

This is true, Stewart Lee shouted at us all last night, saying one McIntyre fan was worth ten of us. :D

What?
He shouted at you?

Quote: katie coe @ December 13 2009, 3:50 PM GMT

What?
He shouted at you?

Well, he was doing his act, so in a jokey way.

Were you there or something?

Quote: katie coe @ December 13 2009, 3:53 PM GMT

Were you there or something?

No, no; I was watching Lee do stand up elsewhere.

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ December 13 2009, 3:48 PM GMT

In that case fair play to him. I just hope that, to quote Bill Hicks, he likes sucking satan's cock.

Chris, he makes people laugh and gets paid well for it. You say fair play to him then make a snidey remark. Funny that.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 13 2009, 3:56 PM GMT

I think part of the jealously/dislike from some of the audience stems from the fact that there are probably about 50 established stand ups on the circuit who do the same type of act, to the same standard of ability, and he happens to be the one plucked from the chorus and elevated to stardom.

To be honest, of the material of his I've seen, at least half of it I remember having been done pretty much in one form or another by various comics on the circuit during the 1990s. Not accusing him of plagiarism, of course, I'm merely saying his act isn't considered particularly original or innovative by some. He's a very strong, polished performer, who is willing and able to tailor his act to a mass audience. Well done to him.

He's obviously a decent man trying to earn himself a good living. He has put in a lot of work and fair play to him. But the most successful comedians aren't automatically the best, or indeed the funniest. There are probably a few stand ups on the circuit that you might never hear of, Katie, but if you saw them, you'd rank them funnier and more talented than Mr McIntyre. Doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy any comedian you like, it's just that the stand up on TV is a very particular subset of comedy. There are plenty of comics who can do family audience friendly material, although it's fair to say that there are many who would struggle to do so. :)

Oooh, look at me, quoting myself from the 'British Comedy Awards' thread where, to be honest, it was just me and Katie debating Mr McIntyre...

Quote: garyd @ December 13 2009, 3:57 PM GMT

Chris, he makes people laugh and gets paid well for it. You say fair play to him then make a snidey remark. Funny that.

Fair play was actually part of the snidey remark :P

Personally I find him irritating, but like you say a lot people find him funny and my thoughts on him won't stop that. I'm just venting my frustration at apparently missing out on the best stand-up going at the minute.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 13 2009, 3:50 PM GMT

That's very good!

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 13 2009, 4:01 PM GMT

Oooh, look at me, quoting myself from the 'British Comedy Awards' thread where, to be honest, it was just me and Katie debating Mr McIntyre...

That comment has NOTHING to do with this thread :S

but somehow I have found myself defending the funny old chap on TWO threads :(

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 13 2009, 3:56 PM GMT

I think part of the jealously/dislike from some of the audience stems from the fact that there are probably about 50 established stand ups on the circuit who do the same type of act, to the same standard of ability, and he happens to be the one plucked from the chorus and elevated to stardom.

To be honest, of the material of his I've seen, at least half of it I remember having been done pretty much in one form or another by various comics on the circuit during the 1990s. Not accusing him of plagiarism, of course, I'm merely saying his act isn't considered particularly original or innovative by some. He's a very strong, polished performer, who is willing and able to tailor his act to a mass audience. Well done to him.

He's obviously a decent man trying to earn himself a good living. He has put in a lot of work and fair play to him. But the most successful comedians aren't automatically the best, or indeed the funniest. There are probably a few stand ups on the circuit that you might never hear of, Katie, but if you saw them, you'd rank them funnier and more talented than Mr McIntyre. Doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy any comedian you like, it's just that the stand up on TV is a very particular subset of comedy. There are plenty of comics who can do family audience friendly material, although it's fair to say that there are many who would struggle to do so. :)

Exactly. Also MM is an obvious beneficiary of that Ross/Brand f**kup and no doubt some comedians feel a bit blindsided by this.

Quote: Aaron @ December 13 2009, 1:14 AM GMT

It was made quite clear that Katherine Parkinson wasn't there as she was appearing in a play. I don't think you'd find many comics disrespecting that.

With the attitude Gervais has towards British comedy, it's hardly surprising that people were displeased with yet another phoned-in, same-old big-headed acceptance speech.

And McIntyre, yeah, it's silly jealousy. You write something that people find funny, and you make more money and have more success than people who bumble along just providing amusement. At least he's not a massive c**t about his success. Thinking of no one in particular Peter Kay.

Pardon?

Jesus Aaron what's going on, disrespect isn't a verb.

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ December 13 2009, 4:05 PM GMT

Fair play was actually part of the snidey remark :P

:D

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ December 13 2009, 4:05 PM GMT

Personally I find him irritating, but like you say a lot people find him funny and my thoughts on him won't stop that. I'm just venting my frustration at apparently missing out on the best stand-up going at the minute.

I've never seen Stewart Lee so you may well be right. I shall make the effort.
Just feel it wrong to criticise someone just because they are successful as it appears you were. Sorry if I misunderstood.

I've just been told that MM is funny because he doesn't resort to swearing, sex or mother-in-law jokes. I guess the public gets what the public wants etc.

Quote: katie coe @ December 13 2009, 4:08 PM GMT

That comment has NOTHING to do with this thread :S

Er, yes it does. :D