Jealousy in British comedy Page 6

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ December 14 2009, 11:24 PM GMT

Let's take Stewart Lee as an example. He's been in the game a long time and is regarded as one of the best, yet has never really had mainstream success.

He's worked a hell of a lot harder than McIntyre and isn't as high up this metaphorical ladder. So yes, McIntyre did jump steps. He's not the only one, but he is one of the more extreme cases of it.

Anyone who's had their own TV show has had mainstream success. By that reckoning Stewart Lee's doing better than MM.

And he's a millionaire too so I doubt he's worried about a f**king ladder. He could buy a ladder factory and get them to make him a special one with McIntyre's face engraved on every rung and a big fanny at the top.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 14 2009, 11:50 PM GMT

Anyone who's had their own TV show has had mainstream success. By that reckoning Stewart Lee's doing better than MM.

And he's a millionaire too so I doubt he's worried about a f**king ladder. He could buy a ladder factory and get them to make him a special one with McIntyre's face engraved on every rung and a big fanny at the top.

Language.
There are some young ones on this site you know.
Don't know where but there are...

And he's a millionaire too so I doubt he's worried about a f**king ladder.

Stewart Lee is far from a millionaire. In fact, he was only able to afford a mortgage on a house for him and his family this year. He made next to nothing on Jerry Springer: The Opera, for example. It was only getting the Comedy Vehicle series which gave him some kind of financial security.

.......Ok.

Stewart Lee's programme wasn't really mainstream. He was just an example anyway. Daniel Kitson anyone?

AND Michael McIntyre has his own show too.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 14 2009, 11:54 PM GMT

Stewart Lee is far from a millionaire. In fact, he was only able to afford a mortgage on a house for him and his family this year. He made next to nothing on Jerry Springer: The Opera, for example. It was only getting the Comedy Vehicle series which gave him some kind of financial security.

No personalised cocaine dusted ladders for him then. Sorry about the language Katie. I meant to say c**t not fanny.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 14 2009, 11:59 PM GMT

No personalised cocaine dusted ladders for him then. Sorry about the language Katie. I meant to say c**t not fanny.

I forgive you :D

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ December 14 2009, 11:14 PM GMT

Did he fair very well on the circuit though as an up-and-coming comedian? It seems to me that he's a very average comedian who was gigging and not really stirring up much of a storm in the comedy world, and then someone in a high place (probably something to do with marketing or "target audiences") saw him and liked him and chucked him on telly and here we are today.

I would've thought his breakthrough came through Mock the Week, which isn't exactly the sort of show that's necessarily pandering to market share and other such terms. It's fun to try and dislike him because he's successful but, honestly, this doesn't seem like an industry where your success is determined by shadow-y, corporate figures behind closed doors. If McIntyre couldn't make as many people laugh as he does he wouldn't be where he is today and it really is as simple as that.

Michael McIntyre is strawberry jam to Stewarts Lee's marmite.

Personally find McIntyre's meteoric rise a complete mystery unless you are looking to recast Rentaghost, but he hasn't killed anyone.

He obviously got good marks in his essays at comedy school and has developed an act that can be appreciated both by your gran and the nine year olds they are baby sitting at the weekend.

A sort of Simon Cowell of stand-up in fact.

Quote: PhQnix @ December 15 2009, 7:57 AM GMT

I would've thought his breakthrough came through Mock the Week, which isn't exactly the sort of show that's necessarily pandering to market share and other such terms. It's fun to try and dislike him because he's successful but, honestly, this doesn't seem like an industry where your success is determined by shadow-y, corporate figures behind closed doors. If McIntyre couldn't make as many people laugh as he does he wouldn't be where he is today and it really is as simple as that.

I disagree. A very large portion of McIntyre's fan base aren't typical comedy fans, maybe have never even seen stand-up before him, so without his mysterious rise to fame he would not have the army of fans that he does today because they simply would have never discovered him. He would still be gigging small venues and staying relatively unknown without TV. Mock the Week is the BBC's flagship panel show so I would say it probably isn't aimed at a niche market.

Just in case you haven't seen it Michael McIntyre Impression - The Impressions Show

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ December 15 2009, 10:26 AM GMT

I disagree. A very large portion of McIntyre's fan base aren't typical comedy fans, maybe have never even seen stand-up before him, so without his mysterious rise to fame he would not have the army of fans that he does today because they simply would have never discovered him. He would still be gigging small venues and staying relatively unknown without TV. Mock the Week is the BBC's flagship panel show so I would say it probably isn't aimed at a niche market.

There's nothing 'mysterious' going on here. McIntyre is a clean-cut comedian with clean jokes. The man and the moment have met up that is all.

As Mark said, he's been gigging for years. If anyone is unhappy about his sudden spike in visibilty they need to blame Jonathan Ross and Russel (thighs of a woman) Brand.

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ December 15 2009, 10:26 AM GMT

A very large portion of McIntyre's fan base aren't typical comedy fans

But what is a 'typical' comedy fan?

I imagine a large amount of Harry Hill's fans aren't 'typical' comedy fans, but no one seems to complain about his success.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 15 2009, 5:00 PM GMT

There's nothing 'mysterious' going on here. McIntyre is a clean-cut comedian with clean jokes. The man and the moment have met up that is all.

As Mark said, he's been gigging for years. If anyone is unhappy about his sudden spike in visibilty they need to blame Jonathon Ross and Russel (thighs of a woman) Brand.

Good point.

Quote: Ben @ December 15 2009, 6:55 PM GMT

But what is a 'typical' comedy fan?

I imagine a large amount of Harry Hill's fans aren't 'typical' comedy fans, but no one seems to complain about his success.

Harry Hill isn't being branded as the best thing in comedy at the moment.