Jealousy in British comedy

Having just watched the Comedy Awards (poor show) it occurred to me that their is a certain amount of jealousy that can be seen from watching this show year after year.

Armando Iannucci's comment about Michael McIntyre "if you missed the show you've missed a certain amount of resentment towards Michael McIntyre". MM even looked confused by this.

Whether Armando meant it as a jokey comment or not, I don't know. But it got me thinking. MM has had a great year. Recent stories in the papers that he's bought a house for three million quid. Obviously doing very well. Nice man too. Yet because he's perhaps the most successful of all the nominees tonight and one of the most talented in that room, there is a certain amount of jealousy that seems to sweep the room just because there is someone whose success seems to rise and rise.

Last year when Ricky Gervais won, his video was booed by the crowd and seemed to offend either James Corden or Kevin Bishop for some reason. Maybe they were pissed off that he didn't bother turning up, but neither did Paul Merton tonight, or the girl who won Best Actress. Gervais obviously being words apart in terms of talent is perhaps resented by others in the industry because of his quite clear superiority.

It was made quite clear that Katherine Parkinson wasn't there as she was appearing in a play. I don't think you'd find many comics disrespecting that.

With the attitude Gervais has towards British comedy, it's hardly surprising that people were displeased with yet another phoned-in, same-old big-headed acceptance speech.

And McIntyre, yeah, it's silly jealousy. You write something that people find funny, and you make more money and have more success than people who bumble along just providing amusement. At least he's not a massive c**t about his success. Thinking of no one in particular Peter Kay.

Pardon?

I can't stand Michael McIntyre and I know alot of people who share that opinion, so maybe in this case the resentment comes from the fact that other comedians don't think McIntyre is any good yet he is doing so well.

Just like the wonderful Susan Nickson and Two Pints. :)

Quote: Aaron @ December 13 2009, 1:19 AM GMT

Just like the wonderful Susan Nickson and Two Pints. :)

That's at least the second time you've mentioned her today . . anything to 'fess up ? (as the young people say)

It is? I've not been posting all that much today. Have you been on the bevvies again? Read the same post twice? ;)

Quote: Aaron @ December 13 2009, 1:25 AM GMT

It is? I've not been posting all that much today. Have you been on the bevvies again? Read the same post twice? ;)

Checkout 'Introductions - My name is Ben'

:D

It's a good job someone is paying attention !

:P

Ah yes, I recall now. Well, his story was similar to Susan Nickson's!

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ December 13 2009, 1:14 AM GMT

so maybe in this case the resentment comes from the fact that other comedians don't think McIntyre is any good yet he is doing so well.

But surely he's paid his dues? And got there like anyone else, regardless of taste.

I disliked him when he first started to appear, then changed my mind. It's easy to mock him, but every time I've seen him lately, he appears to be a decent guy.

Anyone pointed out the fact that most comedians are bitterly jealous and resentful of other comedians' success? That a lot of them don't actually like or admire each other, although they might grudgingly respect what another does? That few of them are really ever true friends with other comedians? No? OK then, carry on... :)

Was Peter Kay there? Did someone slag him off? I only saw the last 20 minutes of the show.

Yeah he won something. Outstanding Achievement I think. His speech wasn't great.

In most industries, especially ones where being egocentric, arrogant, sarcastic, bitter and misanthropic is not only pessmisable but almost essential to the job, you'll get this sort of attitude.

Comedians take the piss out of each other, that's what they do. :)

That's right, it comes with the job, but now comedy has become such a big commercial industry, with success at stand up leading to TV, adverts, the lot, I do sense many of the ones who think of themselves as time served, fully paid up circuit comedians (such as Stewart Lee) feel they are in a laddish club which excludes the likes of McIntyre and other 'toff' interlopers who have hardly served an apprenticeship in the game/business. It does make me snigger a little bit, because didn't Lee go to Oxbridge, just like several other current successful comedians? So what have they got to be jealous about, really?

Edited by Aaron.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 13 2009, 2:28 PM GMT

That's right, it comes with the job, but now comedy has becaome such a big commercial industry, with success at stand up leading to TV, adverts, the lot, I do sense many of the ones who think of themselves as time served, fully paid up circuit comedians (such as Stewart Lee) feel they are in a laddish club which excludes the likes of McIntyre and other 'toff' interlopers who have hardly served an apprenticeship in the game/business. It does make me snigger a little bit, because didn't Lee go to Oxbridge, just like several other current successful comedians? So what have they got to be jealous about, really?

Do you know that Stewart Lee sees MM as a 'toff' interloper? (incidently my old editor went to Oxford with Stewart Lee and said he was as funny and as flippant back then).

I think some comedians who have been doing the circuit for a long, long time get a bit pissed off with the likes of Gervais, who haven't served their apprenticeship and can't understand why someone MOR like MM becomes so popular and successful.