Two Pints - 2009 Specials Page 3

I think Susan Nickson just writes what she likes. That the show is on BBC Three is because it fits there, not because it was created to fit the demographic. Remember that it started out on BBC Two, not Choice/Three.

Hahahaha.. I totally deserved that response! However, through my sleep-filled eyes I meant to say a DIFFERENT demographic. Sorry. It was early in the morning when I wrote that. ;)

Quote: matt insley @ December 17 2009, 9:25 PM GMT

Hahahaha.. I totally deserved that response! However, through my sleep-filled eyes I meant to say a DIFFERENT demographic. Sorry. It was early in the morning when I wrote that. ;)

Ah, that makes sense. Though Aaron makes a fair point. As I've said elsewhere, I can't stand that word "demographic" being applied to comedy. ;)

Well, part 2 was just bloody brilliant. Susan Nickson is a painfully good, inventive, technically gifted writer. I can't think of any other sitcom that uses so many different styles so effectively and cleverly. Awesome stuff.

Somehow ended up watching this tonight. (Didn't see the previous special - musical episodes of whichever sitcom are simply a step too far for me). Although this will never be my type of show, I agree with Aaron that there was an impressive level of technical proficiency to the script, with some of the most mature scene writing I've ever seen in this show. Also, the very fine line between comedy and tragedy was excellently handled. For about the first time ever, I actually felt some degree of empathy with the characters.

Watched the first episode the other day, awful. Just about to watch the 2nd on iPlayer.

I like it as it's based in the area where I live and has brought it a bit of fame etc etc, but it needs to be put to sleep soon, maybe do series 9 and 10 then get rid with a special musical, horror live episode where the viewers get to vote for 15 minutes near the end to decide who dies after they are all attacked after being bitten and shot by a shooting shark policeman

Wow - after the first episode of the special turned out to be a pile of cheesy wank the second part was probably one of the best episodes of the entire show's run. It's never really got the credit it deserves for being quite a versatile show. It's gone on and on and on a bit too long but if it can still produce episodes like that then I'm up for a little bit more 2 Pints....Not too much mind......

I remember when the funny one died. The Sheridan Smith Show does at least have likeable characters though or used to. I'd prefer a repeat of 15 Storeys High every day, in fact that should be the only thing on BBC Three, all day.

Whilst I'd say that the show hasn't been the same since Ralph Little left, the two specials were great. Especially the Gaz/Donna episode. As others have said, this show deserves more credit for its ambitious episodes (musicals/horror/live/audience votes etc). Noted that Louise wasn't in either episode, has she left? Maybe she wasn't in them as the story didn't really concern her?

I don't think she's left. I think, as you say, the story just wasn't about her. Aside from one nurse towards the beginning, the second episode featured only Gaz and Donna; obviously very focussed and ... that.

There are verrrrrry few sitcoms that can carry off both the normal funny episodes, and the more serious emotional episodes. Very few. But Two Pints has always been able to do it brilliantly.

I have just seen these two specials on iPlayer, generally the show isn't to my taste and the first of the two did nothing to help matters. That said I think the second show was just brillaint, one of the best sitcom episodes I've ever seen.

I'll definitely look out for the new series if it is going to be of this standard.

is it still on iPlayer? I thought they only stayed on for a week?

They've been repeated.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000282/two_pints_of_lager_refresh/

'BBC Comedy boss Mark Freeland rebuffed the criticism that the show is not the sort of programme the BBC should be making. He said: "Two Pints is hugely distinctive. How many young-skewing shows are set in Runcorn? It is such a robust show, and one that just keeps on getting better... I am sure that is what the [BBC] Trust must want."'

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Jesus Christ, we're all doomed. :(