Absolutely Fabulous Page 4

Was brilliant. I need a proper series next please.

Quote: zooo @ December 26 2011, 12:15 AM GMT

Was brilliant. I need a proper series next please.

Haven't they made three episodes? Why not just do six? They're halfway there anyway!

And then they may as well make 12!

This show hasn't been on in Australia yet -grrrrr! They're making a movie after these new episodes - something to look forward to!

I think I must have had an out of body experience and everyone watched a different episode to me, I found this just dire, Utterly predictable, unfunny from people clearly trying too hard.

1) I think it would be more of a twist if Patsy had been in jail because the public are so used to 'comedy twists' that soon as I saw it I thought Saffy.

2) Saffy was the top dog to her friends... oh hang on no she was the wife... really?? You're going to do that?? Seriously?

Please let them rest before my memories are destroyed.

D

Can't agree with you there - I thought it was a riot. This was the first time that we were meeting the characters after a long gap, the tone was different because there was some digging to fill the gap.
Either Patsy or Saffron being in prison would have been predictable - it was the result and how this affected the family relationship that was interesting. Something had to occur to have Saffron out of the house so that Edina could live there again - remember that Saffron evicted Edina and Patsy at the end of last season. Saffron wasn't in a relationship with anyone in prison - she just had an admirer and protector in Baron.
Absolutely Fabulous always changes slightly to fit the time it appears in - and this definitely did it for me!
The way the characters have aged is believable - Edina lying in bed, wearing glasses and watching "The Killing" on a laptop certainly fits her with her age and attitudes. The design of the house and the costumes is, as always, spot on and the satire is sharp without overriding the plot and character development or falling into bad taste - as so much satire now feels the need to do.
I applaud this return of a true sitcom classic. :D

I loved all The Killing stuff! And her (not) speaking Danish all the way through.

I may even rewatch it today. :O

I can understand the kind reception this episode got, but I can't help suspecting it's based mainly on a feeling of nostalgic warmth.

There was the occasionally funny moment, but generally it was tired and lazy writing with a - frankly - crummy plot and relied far too much on the assumption that merely ressurecting once much-loved characters would be enough. It felt very cobbled together and really dragged in places.

Ab Fab did have a couple of great series in its early days. This episode perhaps doesn't deserve to be judged against them, but if one does then it really does suffer in comparison.

An anti-climax. But, then again, revivals almost always are a let-down.

Nope, I was half expecting it to be a bit rubbish and embarrassing, as I think some of the previous episodes have been. But this was genuinely, to me, as funny as it was at the beginning. (Which is very.) I found myself laughing out loud regularly.

Yes, well one of the great things about the internet is that everyone is free to express their opinions, no matter how obviously wrong they may be... ;)

Great things? ;)

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 26 2011, 12:16 PM GMT

Yes, well one of the great things about the internet is that everyone is free to express their opinions, no matter how obviously wrong they may be... ;)

That's right - so you go for it, Tim! :D

Liked this a lot more than expected.

I really liked the much older episodes, but was expecting a special 20 years on to be crap. Not so, it was very funny.

Saffy being the one to come out of prison, Sarah's glasses flying off when she was slapped, the Sarah Lund cameo... All great.

Wonder how old Exactly Patsy must be to have all that money? Laughing out loud

Quote: dannyjb1 @ December 26 2011, 11:05 AM GMT

I think I must have had an out of body experience and everyone watched a different episode to me, I found this just dire, Utterly predictable, unfunny from people clearly trying too hard.

1) I think it would be more of a twist if Patsy had been in jail because the public are so used to 'comedy twists' that soon as I saw it I thought Saffy.

2) Saffy was the top dog to her friends... oh hang on no she was the wife... really?? You're going to do that?? Seriously?

Please let them rest before my memories are destroyed.

D

Agreed. I got a 'going through the motions' feeling from it. The ex prison lag was pretty tedious. It was patchy for me but I still enjoyed it.

Isn't an anticlimax what you get when you shag your mums sister?