Modern Family Page 7

Conceptually this is nothing that special or original. But it does what US comedy is so good at (especially in recent years) - it gets its characters nailed, casts the show brilliantly and gives paramount importance to the quality of the scripts.

It again begs the question, why can't we in the UK do a mainstream show approaching this quality?

Because Tim you're to busy hunting down drug dealers and communists in the badlands of Bristol.

True. And you'll be glad to hear that I've now recruited enough of them to begin table writing on the family-friendly BBC One sitcom that Danny Cohen's been crying out for.

I've seen snippets of this show, mainly through Sky One's relentless advertising of it. Which ain't a bad thing, if it's a good show. But when I've actually seen the show, it has funny moments but it doesn't hook me enough to seek it out and watch it propa like. Does it have a story arc or anything? It doesn't appear to have one, from what I have seen.

It has minor story arcs, but as is typical of this type of show, its episodes maintain the status quo. Story arcs are all well and good in a show with 6 episodes a series, but when you've got to put out 22 episodes a year they (probably) would work against you.

It's just brilliant. There are no weak characters. Which is bloody weird because there are millions of 'em.

Quote: zooo @ December 11 2011, 11:43 PM GMT

It's just brilliant. There are no weak characters. Which is bloody weird because there are millions of 'em.

Um... ten?

Eleven if you count the gay couple's kid.

They are all fairly taken 'out-of-stock', so they're not hard characters to get right in that sense. The thing that makes them strong characters, as I say above, is great casting and writing.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 11 2011, 11:36 PM GMT

True. And you'll be glad to hear that I've now recruited enough of them to begin table writing on the family-friendly BBC One sitcom that Danny Cohen's been crying out for.

For real

Great because I just finished the new BBC scifi epic
"Professor incomprehensible vs the shit CGI"

Laughing out loud

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 11 2011, 11:43 PM GMT

It has minor story arcs, but as is typical of this type of show, its episodes maintain the status quo. Story arcs are all well and good in a show with 6 episodes a series, but when you've got to put out 22 episodes a year they (probably) would work against you.

American shows do try though, it's like watching someone trying to squeeze the last of the toothpaste out from the tube.

I'll have to give this show a chance then. It's probably a lot better once you get to know the characters. Something that rings true when I look at my girlfriend's face when I'm watching 'Curb. It's all :|

My girlfriend laughs like a drain at this show, which is fine. Only problem is she's started to smell like one too.*

(*See, you wouldn't get that kind of gag in Modern Family, but My Family would lap it up.)

The Halloween episode was awful. And I've heard the quality gets a bit variable in season 3.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 12 2011, 12:01 AM GMT

laughs like a drain at this show

I'm sure you've already used this phrase in another post. Have you been like, clearing a drain today. My head's spinning like a tumble dryer.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 11 2011, 11:47 PM GMT

Um... ten?

Eleven if you count the gay couple's kid.

Yes. Rather a lot of fairly main characters for a sitcom. Do you not agree?

Or are you just planning to argue with everything everyone says tonight for fun? :)

Quote: zooo @ December 12 2011, 12:12 AM GMT

Or are you just planning to argue with everything everyone says tonight for fun? :)

No, dear, I'm simply saying that 10 principle/regular characters is not that unheard of in US sitcoms. Cheers, for example, had loads. Arrested Development? Even the US version of The Office uses plenty of regulars.