I've just seen... Page 39

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 25 2010, 10:51 PM BST

It's just more of a talky film, in many ways, than an action one. It's a thinker more than pure spectacle. Though there is a lot of that too.

It would have been immeasurably improved by the inclusion of David Lynch as director. He gets dreams. Nolan doesn't, apparently.

Quote: James BradburyHarding @ July 25 2010, 10:55 PM BST

It would have been immeasurably improved by the inclusion of David Lynch as director. He gets dreams. Nolan doesn't, apparently.

Depends, I thought Nolan was perfect for it. Plus he wrote it, so he was probably the best guy to direct!

Quote: zooo @ July 25 2010, 10:38 PM BST

How can you say he's a bad actor? Have you seen his older films?

Stuff like What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Romeo & Juliet, Titanic and The Beach? Yes, and he's always given the impression of being more of a pouting pretty boy than a brilliant actor. In my opinion.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 25 2010, 10:56 PM BST

Depends, I thought Nolan was perfect for it. Plus he wrote it, so he was probably the best guy to direct!

Touche.

Quote: Kenneth @ July 25 2010, 10:58 PM BST

Stuff like What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Romeo & Juliet, Titanic and The Beach? Yes, and he's always given the impression of being more of a pouting pretty boy than a brilliant actor. In my opinion.

Your opinion of him is so 2002.

I bet you still think Bill Murray is hip.

It always takes time for the pouting pretty boys to be accepted as proper actors. Depp, Damon and Clooney are all good actors, but it took a while to see past the cheekbones.

Stuff like What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Romeo & Juliet, Titanic and The Beach?

Gilbert Grape, yes. But more the stuff before then, like Basketball Diaries and This Boy's Life, rather than films post Romeo + Juliet.

Yes, and he's always given the impression of being more of a pouting pretty boy than a brilliant actor. In my opinion.

Ha, fair enough. I suppose I shall allow you one. ;)

Quote: James BradburyHarding @ July 25 2010, 11:02 PM BST

Your opinion of him is so 2002.

I bet you still think Bill Murray is hip.

I also thought Blood Diamond sucked. And I hated Lost In Translation.

Gattaca. One of my favourite sci-fi films. Intelligent script, great cast and stunning cinematography. It also has a nice melancholy quality.

What's love got to do with it.
The Tina Turner Biopic, I really enjoyed it.

Then I watched The Time Travellers wife
Hmmm not so good.

Quote: chipolata @ July 26 2010, 9:19 PM BST

Gattaca. One of my favourite sci-fi films. Intelligent script, great cast and stunning cinematography. It also has a nice melancholy quality.

Love that film too, particularly Michael Nyman's score.

Quote: chipolata @ July 26 2010, 9:19 PM BST

Amazing film.

Saw inception yesterday, thought it most excellent from a purely technical point of view. I don't think any other film maker could have pulled that idea off with such little exposition, and yet keep it easy to follow the way Nolan did. The major critique against the film seems to be the lack of emotional involvement, and I must admit I didn't think I actually cared whether Leo got back to his children.

*Spoiler Alert*
However, my insides were screaming seconds before the end for a certain something to stop. It really did suprise me. I hope it goes on to make a shed load of money. 8/10.

I watched Miller's Crossing yesterday. It was ok, but it didn't really keep my interest up.

Quote: Ben @ July 29 2010, 8:02 PM BST

I watched Miller's Crossing yesterday. It was ok, but it didn't really keep my interest up.

I like the Coen Brothers, but I don't remember that one doing much for me, either.

I still haven't seen Fargo yet. Must watch that one day soon.

I picked up The Krays for £2 in Asda yesterday - always wanted to see that.

Who's seen Kung Fu Hustle?
I've watched the first 5 or 10 minutes so far & it's not what I was expecting.