How Not To Live Your Life - Series 2 Page 2

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 11 2009, 3:15 PM BST

Mighty Boosh, Gavin And Stacey, Pulling spring quickly to mind. But this is very good also, yes.

Never got chance to watch Pulling although I do hear lots of good things about it. I can pass on Gavin and Stacey and Boosh to be honest.

Reeeeeeally enjoyed that. Very funny. A big pick up from the first series, with lots of laugh-out-louds all the way through. If the standard keeps up for the rest of the series I'll be very pleased.

I liked the slapping. Sounded very painful.

I enjoyed it but for some reason it just didn't feel quite right to me. I don't have a clue why and I probably won't feel the same after a few more episodes but that's what I thought tonight.

I liked the old lady... she was funny. However, I must have been in a funny mood as I didn't laugh that much. Except for when he called her Yoda. Laughing out loud

Really liked it. Seemed like a bit of a step up from the first series; definitely helps that the wooden lodger and her boyfriend have gone, the dynamic of the show was better. Seemed to be more Eddie too, which is great.

Yeah Eddie is great and what a change getting rid of Abby and putting in Sam! She is great!

I completely forgot about this. I shall watch the repeat tonight.

I thought it was spectacularly ordinary. To me, all the great sitcoms - Fawlty Towers, Alan Partridge, Peep Show - have an audacious quality. They surprise me. They pull the rug out from under me. This did none of that. Sure, it was an aimable way to spend half an hour, and the blonde actress was easy on the eye, but I knew what was going to happen.

And on a nuts and bolts level, the writing wasn't great in terms of one-liners. None really struck me as that memorable. I liked the "kissing a tramps balls" lines but nothing else stood out. And I thought the pay-off in the Good Will Hunting gag was weak. Again, a good sitcom is choc full of juicy lines that linger in your mind. This had none.

I really enjoyed it. It's not supposed to be a one-liner sitcom, more situational comedy which there was lots of. I quite liked the line "don't or I'll roundhouse you in the prick" mind.

The dynamic is better now that they have Mrs Treacher who's worse in nature than Don and the new flat mate who gives as good as she gets.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ September 16 2009, 10:16 AM BST

I really enjoyed it. It's not supposed to be a one-liner sitcom

To me, great shows have great lines, regardless of the "type" of show they are. IMO this didn't have any, which is a reflection of the fairly pedestrian and uninspiring writing.

Quote: chipolata @ September 16 2009, 9:39 AM BST

I thought it was spectacularly ordinary. To me, all the great sitcoms - Fawlty Towers, Alan Partridge, Peep Show - have an audacious quality. They surprise me. They pull the rug out from under me.

Is Private Eye still running that Pseuds Corner thing?

:D

Quote: Marc P @ September 16 2009, 10:21 AM BST

Is Private Eye still running that Pseuds Corner thing?

Oh, I see, not content with attacking a new member in another thread, you're going after Chipolata now! Bring it on, Mr Paperback Original! :)

Quote: chipolata @ September 16 2009, 10:23 AM BST

Oh, I see, not content with attacking a new member in another thread, you're going after Chipolata now! Bring it on, Mr Paperback Original! :)

I thought you liked a bit of audacity!

Quote: Marc P @ September 16 2009, 10:23 AM BST

I thought you liked a bit of audacity!

I do! That's why I was audacious back! :)

(And you do realise all these comments will soon be invisible?)