Stephen Fry Page 6

Quote: Lee Henman @ September 12 2009, 7:02 PM BST

I'll tell you what I think of Stephen Fry. I think they should haul that miserable bitch Elizabeth Windsor's wrinkly old arse out of her throne and stick Stephen in it. He's posh enough to pull it off and at least he f**king smiles occasionally.

I'm sure Prince Edward would welcome him with open arms.

Because of the acting of course.

I think I'll stand back....

Stephen Fry is very honest about his flaws. I like flaws. :)

After reading his auto biography where he himself admits what a thoroughly unlikable low life he was for stealing from his Mother, friends parents, school staff and quite a few of his school mates I have to admit my long admiration took a bit of a knock.

Working on the basis of we all makes mistakes, especially when we're young I carried on watching anything he was in.

His attempts at justifying the fiddling of expenses by some BBC personel raised the question of how much he has really changed since his days of being a money grabbing tw*t.

Fiddling within a private company is wrong. Fiddling within an institution such as the BBC or Parliament which is supposed to be there for the benefit of the public who fund them cannot be justafied, even with a smile

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ September 12 2009, 7:22 PM BST

Stephen Fry is very honest about his flaws. I like flaws. :)

You should be practically cheating on mr Dagger with half the people on this forum then!

And I've said it before and I'll say it again, If I was gay and I'm not, but if I was, he'd be in my top 3...

He's a brilliant bloke.

Quote: Paul W @ September 12 2009, 7:36 PM BST

And I've said it before and I'll say it again, If I was gay and I'm not, but if I was, he'd be in my top 3...

He wouldn't be in mine. Christian from EastEnders would be though.

Quote: Ben @ September 12 2009, 7:38 PM BST

He wouldn't be in mine. Christian from EastEnders would be though.

Shit, so close to going off topic.

Yes so Stephen Fry. Bloody brilliant.

Quote: Paul W @ September 12 2009, 7:42 PM BST

Yes so Stephen Fry. Bloody brilliant.

I once saw him in my local WHSmiths, don't you know?

Quote: Paul W @ September 12 2009, 7:36 PM BST

You should be practically cheating on mr Dagger with half the people on this forum then!

He's a brilliant bloke.

Fag.

(Stephen Fry was one when he went to public school apparently.)

So Paul, would that be all 3 at once or like one at a time? The other problem with Paul's top 3 is that 2 of them are straight, so he'd have to Jack Tweed them in the bushes.

Quote: Lee Henman @ September 12 2009, 7:02 PM BST

He's posh enough to pull it off

*snigger*

Quote: BILLYBOB BOB BOB @ September 12 2009, 7:36 PM BST

His attempts at justifying the fiddling of expenses by some BBC personel raised the question of how much he has really changed since his days of being a money grabbing twat.

Unless there was another incident I'm unaware of, he wasn't attempting to justify anything. Rather, he was trying to introduce some much-needed perspective into the hysteria of the expenses furore.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 12 2009, 5:46 PM BST

Give me enough money and I'll wrap the two together and write a Wayan's Brothers spoof of Schindler's List.

But what if your whole reputation was based on your public believing you were opposed to these things? What if your reputation was so valuable that you were one of the first people to become a 'national treasure'? Under such circumstances, it might make a lot more financial sense to not make the advert.

Carol Vorderman made a series of crap adverts, selling us loans and dubious health products. Now, perhaps there's no link between her making them, and her career nose-diving. Or is there?

I think it's just that one half of her fans, i.e. Countdown viewers, lost interest in her when Richard Whitely died. And the other half of her fans, i.e. Countdown viewers, lost interest in her when they themselves died of old age.

I've never really been bothered before about Stephen doing ads, because he used to "give good voice" for either really fluffy products, or really naff products. But with insurance bastards and Tesco he's somehow strayed into the really dark and nasty side of advertising.

I believe he described the scandal over expenses as a "Tedious bourgeois obsession" and admitted to fiddling expenses himself, although I admit he didn't say who he was working for when he did.

From what I remember of my 'O' level sociology the bourgeois were the middle classes, so to imply it only bothered them is pretty patronising to anyone else who doesn't happen to fit into that group but is still annoyed about being ripped off.

Perhaps he meant HE was obsessed by it, since he must be the most middle (at least) class person on TV.

Don't misunderstand me, I think he is very talented and watchable as an entertainer but that doesn't mean his opinions are on matters outside that shere are any more valid than yours or mine.

SPHERE! Oops.

Using this thread as a quick straw poll, it seems there are those that adore Stevie Fry, those that kind of like him and those that think he's hypocritical for doing adverts. (And there's even one who would 'do him', the big bummer).

It's hardly the backlash of hatred and loathing suggested by the Times article. This is nothing more then a storm in a Twinnings tea cup.

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 12 2009, 9:26 PM BST

I think it's just that one half of her fans, i.e. Countdown viewers, lost interest in her when Richard Whitely died. And the other half of her fans, i.e. Countdown viewers, lost interest in her when they themselves died of old age.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

LOL.

I've never really been bothered before about Stephen doing ads, because he used to "give good voice" for either really fluffy products, or really naff products. But with insurance bastards and Tesco he's somehow strayed into the really dark and nasty side of advertising.

Quite. I hate tea, but can't fathom how anyone could have objection to his fronting something as innocuous as Twinings.

Quote: BILLYBOB BOB BOB @ September 12 2009, 9:42 PM BST

Perhaps he meant HE was obsessed by it, since he must be the most middle (at least) class person on TV.

I dunno, David Mitchell's not exactly looking like mining stock! (And as far as I know, DM hasn't written speeches for Tony *spit* Blair. *spit*)