The Office revisited Page 2

My first thought was 'how much more can they milk it?' which was probablly a little harsh. I'll still watch it though...

I'm getting increasingly sick and tired of the BBC spending money on patting itself on the back about its successful comedies rather than concentrating on producing new ones. It's far too early for a retrospective on The Office in any case. It may help to remind producers that Lucy David and Mackenzie Crook are still available for work, but otherwise I really don't see what purpose this serves. Everything vaguely of interest has been covered in DVD extras. And the stuff that would interest me (for example, how it came to go through 4 different pilots) will not be covered.

It does annoy me that the BBC pat themselves on the back for this when, at the time, they really didn't know what to do with it and so put it out without any publicity at all.

There's a new preview trailer here for the night featuring Ricky & Steve: https://www.comedy.co.uk/videos/994/the_office/

Quote: Mark @ August 19 2009, 12:51 PM BST

It does annoy me that the BBC pat themselves on the back for this when, at the time, they really didn't know what to do with it and so put it out without any publicity at all.

Although Gervais and Merchant seem to like that in retrospect. It allowed the show time to develop and find an audience. If it'd been hyped to the hilt it might not have gone down as well. And for me personally it was only after watching three or four episodes that I really started to "get it".

Quote: chipolata @ August 19 2009, 2:40 PM BST

Although Gervais and Merchant seem to like that in retrospect. It allowed the show time to develop and find an audience. If it'd been hyped to the hilt it might not have gone down as well. And for me personally it was only after watching three or four episodes that I really started to "get it".

Worth remembering this show was put on as a low budget filler during the Summer and the BBC showed no interest promoting as it didn't have the comic potential of According to Bex or whatever other toe curling sit com the BBC had on at the time.

Quote: chipolata @ August 19 2009, 2:40 PM BST

Wasn't it over-hyped though by the time the repeat came round or the second second series? When most of its audience people would've tuned in, to see what the fuss was aboot?

Quote: Leevil @ August 20 2009, 10:06 AM BST

Wasn't it over-hyped though by the time the repeat came round or the second second series? When most of its audience people would've tuned in, to see what the fuss was aboot?

Oh yeah, as soon as the BBC realised they actually had a good sitcom on their hands - and they had to be told - the hype started. Culminating in the massively hyped Christmas specials.

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 19 2009, 11:13 AM BST

I'm getting increasingly sick and tired of the BBC spending money on patting itself on the back about its successful comedies rather than concentrating on producing new ones. It's far too early for a retrospective on The Office in any case.

Agreed on both points.

Not that it stopped them in February 2007, mind: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/comedy_connections/episodes/5/6/

F**kers. Wasting a perfectly good CC slot on that recent a show. Angry

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 19 2009, 11:13 AM BST

I'm getting increasingly sick and tired of the BBC spending money on patting itself on the back about its successful comedies rather than concentrating on producing new ones. It's far too early for a retrospective on The Office in any case. It may help to remind producers that Lucy David and Mackenzie Crook are still available for work, but otherwise I really don't see what purpose this serves. Everything vaguely of interest has been covered in DVD extras. And the stuff that would interest me (for example, how it came to go through 4 different pilots) will not be covered.

I agree totally.

I liked the Office but really what more can be said about the show?

It's been done to death.

A good evening. Missed the last interview-y bit, but the rest was rather interesting. After they were talking about body language, I noted that Ricky was leaning forwards and being rather restless whenever Stephen was talking, pushing himself forwards as if he was about to speak. Exactly how they'd been talking of Brent needing to be the centre of attention and not upstaged (with the training day as an example of it).

They were a bit cheeky to say that they had celebrity fans talking about the show though - 2 or 3 small contributions from Richard Curtis, one from some Australian, another from Guest, and one from the Friends chap. Oh, and a couple from David Baddiel. Was no one else available...? :S

I enjoyed it. I've watched the first series so much, but haven;t seen it for about 2-3 years so it was good to see Brent at his best.

One thing I was struck by when watching it was: This is just too good. The writing, directing, performances - just all too good.

The interviews were great, good to hear from Ricky & Steve, both are fantastic. Fortunate to have met them both, and both very nice men indeed.

Agreed. Watching the first series after quite a while I was (almost) hoping to find things about it which don't work. The writing is, frankly, genius. Episode 5 is one of the best 30 minutes of comedy ever written and performed.

I recently worked with one of the actors from the show (he was in a short film/sketch I wrote) - and spotted him all the time. Such a shame you'd never submit a script like The Office though, because hardly anyone would get it.

Ooh, which one, Dolly?

Quote: Jacob Loves Comedy @ August 31 2009, 1:19 PM BST

I enjoyed it. I've watched the first series so much, but haven;t seen it for about 2-3 years so it was good to see Brent at his best.

One thing I was struck by when watching it was: This is just too good. The writing, directing, performances - just all too good.

The interviews were great, good to hear from Ricky & Steve, both are fantastic. Fortunate to have met them both, and both very nice men indeed.

What he said. Watching the episode with the lads getting drunk in Chasers was like reliving a bad memory of some typical nights out. (But without being bisexualised by pervy bikers).