Mr Mash

I have been recently watching old episodes of Are You Being Served?.

In my opinion the characters are brilliant (though obviously the gags don't really stand up thirty odd years on), but the main point of interest is the character of Mr Mash, the caretaker. At first sight he is ridiculously overracted and stereotyped as a poor cockney man, but there are some pretty ingenious touches to his character, such as the suggestion that he shags the mannekins. Am undecided whether he is the one of the greatest or worst sitcom characters ever and was wondering what BCGers thought?

Quote: Sebastian Orange-News @ July 23 2009, 2:40 AM BST

obviously the gags don't really stand up thirty odd years on

Couldn't disagree more!

I actually prefer Larry Martyn (Mr Mash) to Arthur English (Mr Harman), who took over the role of 'common, trade unionist, maintenance man' who "should not be on the floor during store hours". Neither were greatly endearing, and at times their efforts to act dead common were tiresome. Still, always fun whenever they wheeled in a stupid new automated/robotic display dummy that would invariably malfunction and/or do something lewd. And it was nice that they managed to earn more than Captain Peacock due to their trade unionism. When it comes to being convincing at being common, Larry Martyn did it best. He also appeared in some episodes of Dad's Army, Love Thy Neighbour, as well as a couple of Carry Ons, and a great episode of Minder, where Arthur tries to convince fellow jurors that the clearly guilty Martyn is innocent of theft.

Aaron, do the endless innuendos honestly make you laugh? I can appreciate it for a good sitcom, but it doesn't stand up anywhere near as well as Rising Damp, Porridge, Fawlty Towers, Only When I Laugh or anyother big sitcom from the seventies.
Mr Mash did have some good bits but I think it is porbably the acting that put me off more than anything. It would have been better if they'd have explored his creepier side a bit more.

Quote: Kenneth @ July 23 2009, 4:31 AM BST

I actually prefer Larry Martyn (Mr Mash) to Arthur English (Mr Harman), who took over the role of 'common, trade unionist, maintenance man' who "should not be on the floor during store hours". Neither were greatly endearing, and at times their efforts to act dead common were tiresome.

I'm not overly fond of either, but tend to side more with Mr Harman. I always felt that Mash looked almost creepy. The hair and moustache looked totally unacceptably fake, and the rest of his face just too young for the character.

Quote: Sebastian Orange-News @ July 23 2009, 10:56 AM BST

Aaron, do the endless innuendos honestly make you laugh?

Yes. Lots.

Quote: Sebastian Orange-News @ July 23 2009, 10:56 AM BST

I can appreciate it for a good sitcom, but it doesn't stand up anywhere near as well as Rising Damp, Porridge, Fawlty Towers, Only When I Laugh or anyother big sitcom from the seventies.

I would argue that Only When I Laugh doesn't stand up anywhere nearly as well as any of the others. And it's nowhere near as funny as it should be, given the writer and stars.

Quote: Aaron @ July 23 2009, 8:18 AM BST

Couldn't disagree more!

Good grief; for once I agree with you!
The comedy is derived from human nature with is timeless. The humour and situations mirror (albeit obviously exaggerated) everyday life which continue to this day in the workplace - unless of course we all surrender to the humourless, politically correct dictact of harriot harman!

Quote: Sebastian Orange-News @ July 23 2009, 2:56 PM BST

Aaron, do the endless innuendos honestly make you laugh? I can appreciate it for a good sitcom, but it doesn't stand up anywhere near as well as Rising Damp, Porridge, Fawlty Towers, Only When I Laugh or anyother big sitcom from the seventies.
Mr Mash did have some good bits but I think it is porbably the acting that put me off more than anything. It would have been better if they'd have explored his creepier side a bit more.

Comedy snob?