The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 188

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_RdLGZ89uU&feature=player_embedded

Quote: Tuumble @ October 21 2010, 1:55 PM BST

Dalglish coming in would be dangerous in my view. Why risk tainting a glorious past when you are in a relegation fight which is what is right now. One win in eight? Jesus!

It's nearly 20 years since he left Anfield and they were clearly on the way down at that point despite being league champions. Too many old players.

I remember a mate of mine, who was a Liverpool fan, telling me that Liverpool sold Beardsley to Everton because he'd been having an affair with Dalglish's wife. He also said they lived next door to each other, in Formby, Merseyside.
Then again, the same mate also told me that Howard Kendall had been found, laying drunk on Royal Birkdale golf course.

I heard it was because he insulted Kenny's wife when he was pissed, which if you look at Beardsley, seems more plausible.

I play footy in Formby and have seen Kendell around a few times. That man likes his sauce! the idea that he was asleep at the Royal Birkdale is not too far fetched, and tamer than some other stories I've been told.

Quote: Jack Massey @ October 20 2010, 11:42 PM BST

I went out to watch the United game tonight (which was awful), so just watched the Inter Spurs highlights. Gareth Bale is just getting dangerously better and better. Who'd have thought this last year.

Just think - 5 years ago you'd have been trying to poach him!

Quote: Chappers @ October 21 2010, 9:55 PM BST

Whereas now, thanks to Nigella, you realise he'd be better blanched, then pan-fried.

Quote: Chappers @ October 21 2010, 9:55 PM BST

I remember we showed some interest in him before he went to Spurs.

Quote: Jack Massey @ October 21 2010, 2:36 PM BST

On the subject of Rafa- another reason I don't rate him as a manager. He tried to get rid of the class Xabi Alonso and bring in Gareth Barry. At the 2010 World Cup for me Alonso was the best midfielder and Barry was the worst midfielder in the tournament.
And he totally f**ked up Robbie Keane- he was excellent before he went to Liverpool, he's been poor ever since that five month spell.

While the man clearly had his faults and not won anything of note in four years I don't really think you can call him a bad manager.

He's won two La Liga titles and a UEFA Cup with Valencia (i.e. not Real Madrid or Barcelona) plus a Champions League and an FA Cup with Liverpool. Anyone that is a success domestically and internationally in more than one country deserves some credit. Having said that I did feel it was time for a change.

Quote: Trabs @ October 21 2010, 9:09 PM BST

I heard it was because he insulted Kenny's wife when he was pissed, which if you look at Beardsley, seems more plausible.

I play footy in Formby and have seen Kendell around a few times. That man likes his sauce! the idea that he was asleep at the Royal Birkdale is not too far fetched, and tamer than some other stories I've been told.

What else have you heard?

Quote: Trabs @ October 21 2010, 9:09 PM BST

You play for Formby FC? I went there a few years ago to watch them play FC United of Manchester.

Rooney's just signed a new 5 year deal - is this a joke or what?!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/9118602.stm

That makes absolutely no sense whatsover if he was so desperate to leave yesterday.

Beautiful news. Not only is he staying, he's also in a high profile criticised Glazer's transfer policy.

Quote: Jack Massey @ October 22 2010, 12:53 PM BST

Beautiful news. Not only is he staying, he's also in a high profile criticised Glazer's transfer policy.

To be honest I don't think they give two hoots what he thinks of their transfer policy. Player power maybe on the up but money talks louder in this case.

Quote: Jack Massey @ October 22 2010, 11:18 AM BST

You play for Formby FC? I went there a few years ago to watch them play FC United of Manchester.

Apparently George Formby got his name from the place. The story goes that his Dad, who was also a comedian, was sitting on a train platform one day, and he saw a freight train pass, with the name and address of a Formby-based company written on the side of one of the boxes it was carrying, and he decided it would make a good stage name.

I'm sorry, but this thread has become far too Northern for my liking. I just need to momentarily redress the balance before you all continue.

Stop.

Carry on.

Quote: Splodge @ October 22 2010, 2:36 PM BST

I'm sorry, but this thread has become far too Northern for my liking. I just need to momentarily redress the balance before you all continue.

Stop.

Carry on.

Let's f**kin' ave it!