The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 186

Quote: Chappers @ October 19 2010, 7:25 PM BST

You have to admit that Manchester united are a selling club now.

Definetly- the sooner Glazer f**ks off the better.

Quote: catskillz @ October 19 2010, 10:07 PM BST

Fergie will probably never overtake Liverpool's 18 titles before he retires.

By the way, has anyone heard the rumour about Rijkard taking over from Hodgson Liverpool?

I think this season will be his greatest chance. If not, it's hard to see it at all. But he's been written off time and time again and he always comes back strong.

I can only see Chelsea winning the league this year, and as Jack says, it is worrying times for Man U fans. there has been a real slide the past few years. If Rooney goes, then the options up front look very thin on the ground. the real strength in the midfield is Scholes and Giggs who aren't getting any younger. Obviously there is Nani, but a lot weight is going to be put on his shoulders unless real investment is made this summer. I am going to guess that Fergie isn't going to overtake 18 championships.

I have heard the Rijkard rumours, and I like him a lot. certainly a hell of a lot more than I like Hodgson. He plays very nice football. I do fear his career has been a bit hit and miss though. I would feel safer with Dalglish taking charge for the time being.

Quote: Trabs @ October 20 2010, 9:28 AM BST

I can only see Chelsea winning the league this year, and as Jack says, it is worrying times for Man U fans. there has been a real slide the past few years. If Rooney goes, then the options up front look very thin on the ground. the real strength in the midfield is Scholes and Giggs who aren't getting any younger. Obviously there is Nani, but a lot weight is going to be put on his shoulders unless real investment is made this summer. I am going to guess that Fergie isn't going to overtake 18 championships.

I have heard the Rijkard rumours, and I like him a lot. certainly a hell of a lot more than I like Hodgson. He plays very nice football. I do fear his career has been a bit hit and miss though. I would feel safer with Dalglish taking charge for the time being.

I take it you're a Liverpool fan Trabs. Honestly, stick with Hodgson. The poor sod's come into a club full of problems on and off the pitch. It took him a while to get results at Fulham. Once he gets going, he'll be good. Some Liverpool fan said on Match of the Day on Sunday night 'Get rid of Hodgson. Bring Dalglish in' That would be a massive mistake- he's not managed for a long time. I'd much rather have Roy at my side in difficult times.

It's not just the results, it's the style of play, it's his whole out-look, it's his comments off the pitch, it's the players he's ostracising and the players he's bringing in. I have never rated him as a manager, I never wanted him to come here, and so far everything he has done has reconfirmed what I thought about him. He's just not good enough for Liverpool manager.

I know Kenny has been out the game a long time, and I do have concerns about whether he could still do it. However, we need somebody who everybody at the club can rally behind, somebody with a track record of winning major trophies, and doing it with class - Kenny is that. I don't know any Liverpool fan that has any faith Roy, and only the foolish wanted him to come in the 1st place. I seriously think he could do years of damage if he is allowed the next transfer window.

Ask yourself this, If Ferguson was to pack it in at the end of the season, would you have him at Old Trafford?

Quote: Trabs @ October 20 2010, 1:05 PM BST

It's not just the results, it's the style of play, it's his whole out-look, it's his comments off the pitch, it's the players he's ostracising and the players he's bringing in. I have never rated him as a manager, I never wanted him to come here, and so far everything he has done has reconfirmed what I thought about him. He's just not good enough for Liverpool manager.

I know Kenny has been out the game a long time, and I do have concerns about whether he could still do it. However, we need somebody who everybody at the club can rally behind, somebody with a track record of winning major trophies, and doing it with class - Kenny is that. I don't know any Liverpool fan that has any faith Roy, and only the foolish wanted him to come in the 1st place. I seriously think he could do years of damage if he is allowed the next transfer window.

Ask yourself this, If Ferguson was to pack it in at the end of the season, would you have him at Old Trafford?

Erm, it's a difficult one. At the minute no- but I'd certainly have considered him before he went to Liverpool. He got off to a slow start at Fulham, I'd much rather have him than Dalglish. He's probably the second best English manager out there behind Harry Redknapp. I mean look what he did at Fulham:
07-08: Probably pulled off the greatest escape in the Premier League
08-09: First full season in charge. Got some very good players in. Rose 10 places in the league, got into Europe
09-10: Gets Fulham into a European Final.
He was outstanding at Fulham. I honestly think, give him a bit of time, he'll do a good job. I can't see him winning the league or anything, but the state Rafa, Hicks and Gillett got the team into, it is hardly surprising. I know Rafa somehow came close to winning the league two years ago, but for me he has f**ked the club up big time with the amount of rejects he's brought in over the years.

We will differ on Rafa. for me the man is a legend and a genius, and our current predicament is not his doing. He gave us three Champions League semis, two finals, a European Cup, an FA Cup, and got us desperately close to winning the league, in a season where ultimately Ronaldo was the difference. He had limited resources but brought in quality players and astute signings (mostly). He stood up for the fans interests against the ownership of the club, gave me the best nights I've ever had as Liverpool fan, and got us playing some of the best football I've seen us play since the late 80's. I would have him back at the drop of a hat.

Hodgson had moderate success with Fulham, and he did it playing shockingly bad football. Last season's Uefa cup run was an achievement, but they also finished 12th in the league, and were never nice to watch. The Uefa cup run is something that Steve McClaren and Walter Smith also did recently in a similar manner with Boro and Rangers, and both I would class as being the same level as Hodgson. Ordinary.

Honestly, if you had the misfortune of Hodgson taking over at Man U he would dismantle you within months and have you pulling your hair out. The man is built on media hype.

Again, it's all down to opinion, I still rate him a class manager.

My mates got a ticket for the United Busaspor match tonight. He's currently in TGI Fridays near to the ground, lots of anti-Wayne Rooney chants are off and running.

Really? Looks like it's going to be a tough few months for him. I reckon they should give him the benefit of the doubt once inside the ground. He may still change his mind, and it might look foolish if they give him a lot of shit now. Ride it out and see what happens with him and Fergie.

Like if you had 2 friends who were married to each other and they had a massive argument. Best not make any hasty statements just in case the reconcile it.

Ferguson is upset because Rooney's let down the fans.

About bloody time too. How did everyone else feel when their star player left to play for Manchester United?

Quote: Chappers @ October 20 2010, 6:26 PM BST

Ferguson is upset because Rooney's let down the fans.

About bloody time too. How did everyone else feel when their star player left to play for Manchester United?

You can't just single him out. In the years gone by, only Rooney (though again debatable, was still on the bench a lot for Everton in his final season) and Berbatov can be the only real examples. He's no worse than anyone else.

There have been dozens over the years. Louis Saha, Teddy Sherringham, Andy Cole, Van Der Saar, Ferdinand, Keane, etc etc etc.

Shall I go on? They've been the biggest poachers of players in my time watching football. That's why I admire Shearer and Le Tissier so much.

Tottenham 2-0 down after 10 mins and down to 10 men. This could get embarrassing.

Quote: Trabs @ October 20 2010, 3:28 PM BST

We will differ on Rafa. for me the man is a legend and a genius, and our current predicament is not his doing.

Hodgson had moderate success with Fulham, and he did it playing shockingly bad football. Last season's Uefa cup run was an achievement, but they also finished 12th in the league, and were never nice to watch. The Uefa cup run is something that Steve McClaren and Walter Smith also did recently in a similar manner with Boro and Rangers, and both I would class as being the same level as Hodgson. Ordinary.

I've taken the liberty of editing your Trabs. Hope you don't mind, but these were the two point I wanted to comment on. One, Rafa was a liability in his last 18 months or so. Look through his squad and tell me who is a decent signing. Last season he was saying that he needed 6 new players; he'd been in charge for 6 (I think) years. That was his team, his signings he was admitting wasn't good enough.

And Hodgson had great success with Fulham. I speak as a Fulham fan, but I don't think anyone has said we played 'shockingly bad football'. True, we were hardly Barcelona, but with what the players we can get we played decent football. The problem with Liverpool (a club I have a great deal of affection for by the way) fans is that they're not based in reality. There are 4 or 5 of your current players (including Konchesky!) that I wouldn't want in the Fulham side compared to the players we have.

You're a distinctly average side with 3 world class players. Deal with it.

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ October 20 2010, 7:53 PM BST

Tottenham 2-0 down after 10 mins and down to 10 men. This could get embarrassing.

3-0 after 13 minutes :)

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ October 20 2010, 7:56 PM BST

3-0 after 13 minutes :)

*switches over from United game*